School fit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradJp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello accepted med students and physicians,

I hear different opinions about the concept fit. Some say there isn't really a fit, that is just terms a school uses. Others say schools are so different, you gotta find the right fit for you that is willing to take you. So now that you are in school or beyond, did you find that application process did a good job in matching you with a school you fit in well like a custom tailored suit? If so, do you have some pearls of wisdom about recognizing that fit? If the school was suit you sorta fit but definitely not tailored, do you know why?

I also recognize that schools are big institutions and so you may grow into the school and make the best of it, creating that fit as years go by. Did you find this difficult if you were in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First, recognize that only about 42% of applicants get admitted to at least one school. Some people really can't be choosy-- they learn to love the one school that admitted them and that's it. Other folks are fortunate to have an application package (paper and interview) that is going to be attractive to many schools. If you have choices, how will you choose?

A school that is a "good fit" meets your criteria. What are your criteria? It might be location, cost, reputation, teaching style (small groups, lectures, etc), grading scheme (pass/fail, letter grades or something else), required thesis or not, lack of rules such as mandatory class attendance or not, opportunities for research or rotations at other institutions, rotations abroad, etc.

You may have to accept that you won't find a school that meets all the criteria any more than you are likely to find the perfect marriage partner. You may have to compromise but you should feel that you can still be happy and productive even if you have not found the perfect fit.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, that was really clear and succinct. Thanks Lizzy.

In addition to all the factors @LizzyM mentioned, if you do have the opportunity to choose between schools and are stuck between schools even after considering all those factors, second looks -- if they're an option -- are a great tool to help you get to know the qualitative aspect of each school first-hand.

I was stuck between four schools due to financial factors I had to consider, and second looks were (if you look past all the we-are-the-best advertisement) truly helpful. When you go to interviews, less than half of the people you meet will be accepted; even less will ultimately matriculate. That means the really cool kid you hit it off with or the oddly off-putting applicant will likely not be a part of your medical school experience. Second looks are helpful because 1) you, along with everyone else, will be more relaxed and more likely to be yourself and 2) you can talk to people who you'll actually be going to school with. Each cohort of second lookers I mingled with had a different personality, they did give me a better idea of what kind of vibe each school had. Some I loved, some I just liked. And it did help me make my final decision.

This being said, obviously not all second lookers will matriculate either, but people were generally pretty open about their plans/thoughts. Also, I'd say four (which were fortunately split between two weekends) would be overkill unless you had very good reason to do so. But if your schools offer second looks and you can afford to attend, they can be the final nudge towards one school.

Reactions: 2 users