School GPA, AADSAS GPA=Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cochino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about my chances of being accepted! My biggest question is my GPA. I have 3.334 overall at my university, but when you add in all my repeats my new AADSAS GPA is ~ 3.0. I want to know if anybody out there has been in my situation with some repeats and what dental schools think of them. Will they see my higher GPA on my official transcripts or will they only have access to the lower AADSAS GPA? I am pretty worried about this, so if anybody has any experiences with this please let me know. I would also like to know if the repeats were brought up in any interviews etc.. Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, the Assistant Dean of one of the universities I interviewed at broke down the way admissions committees look at an application. Some schools place heavier emphasis on DAT vs GPA or vice versa. This particular school made its first screening using the DAT. Their cutoff was a 18 and so anybody lower than that was no longer considered. With an 18 and above DAT they begin to pick at your application a little bit more. I don't remember if the dean then stated that they read the letters of rec or if they next screen using the GPA. Either way I know that this school looks at your entire transcript and not just the aadsas calculated GPA. Either way don't worry. From my experience a good DAT score will get you an interview. A good GPA plus a good interview will get you an acceptance. And a 3.0 is a very acceptable GPA. Majority of applicants for dental school are not all 3.6 GPA and 20+ students.
Good Luck!

He's right, Just hang in there!!!
The key is, study your butt off on the DATS, thats the key, you do well on that and your in, but don't BS, STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools will see all your grades on transcripts. Hopefully you ended up with better grades in all those retakes. I think that retakes will not eliminate you. Some adcoms may prefer this as compared to "W" withdraw. At least you toughed it out. As mentioned a great DAT score will do wonders and of course spend time volunteering at a dental office.

MATT

Perhaps only a handful of schools prefer to see a repeated class instead of a "W"!

Only repeat the prereq courses if you don't get a C or higher (or if you have applied and not been admitted).

If you are bombing a course and there is no possible way for you to earn a good grade, withdraw and take the "W"! The only exception to this is if you have multiple Ws on the transcript -- then the adcoms will question your ability to manage your time, study, and succeed in a professional program.

-G