School list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwc929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This list of schools (copied/pasted from mdapps) has not been submitted to AMCAS. It is only what I've whittled down to schools I even have the slightest chance at. I have submitted my AMCAS but have not been verified so I plan on adding my list of schools as soon as I'm verified (hopefully within the next few days). I realize my #s are on the low end (3.1/28) so I'd like to start trimming from the top. I didn't really know where to cut off the top end so I already eliminated schools that have a higher LizzyM score than any CA schools. Also, if there are schools you think I should apply to, let me know and give the reasons too. I know my chances are low but please be nice. I am not looking to go the DO/international route and would prefer it if you did not try to push me in that direction. If I don't get any interviews, I have a few international schools in mind as a backup.

Also, I'm a CA resident so I'm applying to all of the CA schools + west coast schools (Oregon, Washington, Hawaii) as my reaches. Other than that, I'm free to ALL suggestions. Thanks! (more info is on my mdapps)

Albany Medical College
Boston University
Charles Drew University/UCLA
Creighton University
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Howard University
Indiana University - "13% OOS"
Jefferson Medical College
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical University of South Carolina - "9% OOS"
Meharry Medical College
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Northeastern Ohio Universities - "4% OOS"
Oregon Health & Science University
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
Stanford University
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane University
UMDNJ - New Jersey - "9% OOS"
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson - "12% OOS"
University of Alabama - "8% OOS"
University of Arkansas - "15% OOS"
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Cincinnati
University of Connecticut - "15% OOS"
University of Hawaii
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kansas - "14% OOS"
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Maryland
University of Missouri, Columbia
University of Nebraska
University of Oklahoma - "11% OOS"
University of South Carolina - "8% OOS"
University of South Florida - "7% OOS"
University of Southern California
University of Toledo
University of Vermont
University of Washington
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest University
Wayne State University - "10% OOS"
West Virginia University
Wright State University - "11% OOS"

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you did not apply very wisely. Your BCMP is not very good and the 7 in VR really hurts. You have absolutely no chance at the OOS schools. Where did you come up with these OOS %'s? Is that the % of the class that's OOS or the acceptance rate for OOS applicants? Presumably, it's the former, which doesn't mean that it's not very hard for OOS to get in.

Not to be mean, but I can't think of any Allopathic schools where you're competitive, especially as a Chinese-American Male from California.

If you are reluctant to go Osetopathic or Caribbean, that's your decision. That said, you must accept the fact that you're very unlikely to be accepted to any of these schools. For example, why apply to UCSF or Stanford??

My best advice is to not apply this year and focus on raising your MCAT scores and, perhaps, your BCMP as well. You're still young; you can always go back and take some upper level undergraduate Science courses that will count towards your BCMP. To apply to these schools (including AMCAS and secondaries), it could cost close to $10k. That's not money well spent.

You need to strengthen your application before you're competitive for Allopathic schools in the US. Your success in the BU program is a start, but you still have a ways to go. Good luck; at least you're young and time is on your side.

I was in a similar situation while applying to schools last year (3.06/30), and in fact applied to many of the schools on your list. I applied to 23 schools total (1 international, which I will be attending in the fall), and got... here it comes, you might want to sit down... 1 interview at an in-state school (in GA) that I ended up getting waitlisted at. While I don't regret applying to these schools, it ended up being a LOT of time and money spent on something that I apparently did not have a very good shot at.

If you have your heart set on a US MD school, I would apply to all of the the lower tier schools (e.g. Howard, Morehouse, Meharry, etc.), get rid of the top tier schools completely, and apply to every school that you have a remote shot at, because you will need the odds of sheer volume on your side.

I'm not pushing you to DO or international, but you might want to have a solid back-up plan in case you don't get in for 2009. It's probably not impossible, but the odds are against you.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation while applying to schools last year (3.06/30), and in fact applied to many of the schools on your list. I applied to 23 schools total (1 international, which I will be attending in the fall), and got... here it comes, you might want to sit down... 1 interview at an in-state school (in GA) that I ended up getting waitlisted at. While I don't regret applying to these schools, it ended up being a LOT of time and money spent on something that I apparently did not have a very good shot at.

If you have your heart set on a US MD school, I would apply to all of the the lower tier schools (e.g. Howard, Morehouse, Meharry, etc.), get rid of the top tier schools completely, and apply to every school that you have a remote shot at, because you will need the odds of sheer volume on your side.

I'm not pushing you to DO or international, but you might want to have a solid back-up plan in case you don't get in for 2009. It's probably not impossible, but the odds are against you.

Good luck!

Thanks...that's exactly what I'm trying to do right now...cut off the top... Any suggestions?

Also, I realize that I'm hoping for a miracle but I appreciate any advice. I'm keeping those CA schools in b/c like I said, those are my reaches. Yea it's going to cost me some money but I don't want to ever think about "what if?"

Besides the California schools, consider: RFUMS, Drexel, NYMC. Maybe GW, Tulane and MCW as well. These schools are still quite selective themselves, but not as tough as some of the top schools. I wouldn't recommend any public schools as an OOS applicant.

This gives six private OOS schools plus all California schools. You could add the three schools mentioned above (Howard, Morehouse and Meharry), but they are historically African American. That brings the total to about 18, evenly split between in and out of state.

You're correct in saying that you have little (if anything) to lose besides money (and time spent completing the applications, which may not be that much). Apply with a positive outlook, but starting to formulate alternative plans is a wise move. Good luck!

Besides the California schools, consider: RFUMS, Drexel, NYMC. Maybe GW, Tulane and MCW as well. These schools are still quite selective themselves, but not as tough as some of the top schools. I wouldn't recommend any public schools as an OOS applicant.

This gives six private OOS schools plus all California schools. You could add the three schools mentioned above (Howard, Morehouse and Meharry), but they are historically African American. That brings the total to about 18, evenly split between in and out of state.

You're correct in saying that you have little (if anything) to lose besides money (and time spent completing the applications, which may not be that much). Apply with a positive outlook, but starting to formulate alternative plans is a wise move. Good luck!

Thanks for the comment. I think 18 might be on the shallow end for me. I'm all about spreading my seed at this point. I was aiming for at least 30-40 and wanted a trim down from the 60ish that I had now. But I definitely got the ones you recommended on my list. Thanks again, really appreciate it. The more advice, the better!

Agreeing w/ some of the above posters about the OOS public schools. For one, I know Missouri won't even look at you unless you have a specific tie to the state (i.e. went to undergrad here, used to live here, have family here), so make sure you check on those things before you shell out the money for them.

Good luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Agreeing w/ some of the above posters about the OOS public schools. For one, I know Missouri won't even look at you unless you have a specific tie to the state (i.e. went to undergrad here, used to live here, have family here), so make sure you check on those things before you shell out the money for them.

Good luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for the pointer. Just to clarify, I didn't blindly select these schools (although it may seem like it). If I read that OOS will be considered, then I kept it. As for UMissouri-Columbia, it says unless you're exceptional or have ties to state. So definitely glossed through that one and will be removing it. Thanks lacrossefiend - $30 saved!

Does anyone have any opinions about the following schools? This is my list of iffys:

University of Alabama
University of Connecticut
University of Indiana
University of Kansas
Michigan St.
University of Nebraska
SUNY Upstate
Wake Forest
University of Cincinnati
Wright St.
University of Oklahoma

SUNY Upstate, Wake Forest, and Cincinnati are on the upper echelon of my ceiling meaning they have higher LizzyM scores than some of the UC schools. Yes, the logic is not perfect but I still think it says something. The others are on this list mainly b/c of OOS $s...Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Does anyone have any opinions about the following schools? This is my list of iffys:

University of Alabama
University of Connecticut
University of Indiana
University of Kansas
Michigan St.
University of Nebraska
SUNY Upstate
Wake Forest
University of Cincinnati
Wright St.
University of Oklahoma

SUNY Upstate, Wake Forest, and Cincinnati are on the upper echelon of my ceiling meaning they have higher LizzyM scores than some of the UC schools. Yes, the logic is not perfect but I still think it says something. The others are on this list mainly b/c of OOS $s...Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You will definitely get screen pre-secondary at Wake Forest. IU (it's Indiana University not University of Indiana) is very tough out of state, not worth the money, and UCinci is going to be way beyond reach also. Don't know much about the others. I think Wright State and SUNY you could maybe hang on to.

You will definitely get screen pre-secondary at Wake Forest. IU (it's Indiana University not University of Indiana) is very tough out of state, not worth the money, and UCinci is going to be way beyond reach also. Don't know much about the others. I think Wright State and SUNY you could maybe hang on to.

Do you happen to know what are the cutoffs for Wake? I think I'll keep IU b/c someone else OOS from BU SMP got in but I know it's tough. I'll take your advice on Cinci into consideration too though someone also from my program got in there. Thanks for the thoughts!

From what I've heard, Wake's screen is less a stats screen when it comes down to it than a screen for applicants they think are really interested. I was screened out, as were applicants with better stats than mine. Last year we were all boggling over what their rhyme or reason was. From what I've heard since, if they don't really see a connection to the school or area in your primary, you're cut. There's probably also a basic stats cut too, but I don't know where that line is. Anyway, if you don't have any ties/connections in your primary you might want to send a letter detailing your specific interest in their school or the geographic area. At least that's what I think I remember a student saying who had more successful interaction with Wake than I did.

Perhaps keep Michigan State and Nebraska. Not sure about Wright. Maybe keep them too.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, Wake's screen is less a stats screen when it comes down to it than a screen for applicants they think are really interested. I was screened out, as were applicants with better stats than mine. Last year we were all boggling over what their rhyme or reason was. From what I've heard since, if they don't really see a connection to the school or area in your primary, you're cut. There's probably also a basic stats cut too, but I don't know where that line is. Anyway, if you don't have any ties/connections in your primary you might want to send a letter detailing your specific interest in their school or the geographic area. At least that's what I think I remember a student saying who had more successful interaction with Wake than I did.

Perhaps keep Michigan State and Nebraska. Not sure about Wright. Maybe keep them too.

They sent the letter out with their primary? Or after they got rejected and as an appeal? Thanks

Does anyone have any advice on the new schools (ex: FIU, UCF)...are there others that I don't know about? Thanks in advance.

With my new MCAT score (V10, P12, B14), does anyone think I should add more schools? Thanks in advance...

Your new MCAT score puts you in a much better position than you were in previously, but I would still stay humble in your school choice.

I agree with the shot gun approach in this case if you can afford it. Just be sure to get a head start on the secondary essays so you don't skimp on them. And apparently it can be done successfully. Ready for an amazing mdapps (62 applications)? Here ya go:

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8142

Why in the world did that person apply to 62 schools?? Good (even really good) GPA plus a completely respectable/good MCAT. Sure there's the community college thing, but looks like s/he transferred or something. WHY :eek:

Why in the world did that person apply to 62 schools?? Good (even really good) GPA plus a completely respectable/good MCAT. Sure there's the community college thing, but looks like s/he transferred or something. WHY :eek:

Seriously, with those stats, 62 seems way overboard. I've seen that somewhere else too w/ someone w/ respectable GPA/MCAT/ECs applying to as many as I did.

Obviously, had I had gotten this MCAT score before, I would've trimmed my list down quite a bit too. But considering how desperate I was before - sitting on the cusp of a possible W/L acceptance vs. settling for DO or holding off another year - it's hard to hear someone tell you to just give it up especially if they aren't in that position. On top of that, I think a good number of ppl that were in my position have been told their whole life that "they can't" so determination is the theme of their life (and application). If you haven't given up before, why start now? JUST BELIEVE. Discouragement merely fuels the fire.

Sorry that was a total tangent...

Great improvement on your MCAT! :eek: That's the thing about SDN, when you see a low GPA + low MCAT people are just going to assume you're not capable of more. You're the only one that knows the truth though. Congrats.

If you took your original list and got rid of the ones that don't consider OOS as mentioned in this thread you'd have a good list. I say keep the reaches as well but as a lower priority secondary completion-wise.

Yea...shame I got the score after finishing the bulk of all my secondaries and that the ones remaining are the most important so not really many I can withdraw right away...oh well

Whoa whoa whoa, don't be withdrawing from anywhere. A 36 doesn't entitle you to jack if your GPA isn't up to par. Take it from someone who knows. Leave that list alone!

Whoa whoa whoa, don't be withdrawing from anywhere. A 36 doesn't entitle you to jack if your GPA isn't up to par. Take it from someone who knows. Leave that list alone!

Thanks for the advice...You're right.