School List for reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snikkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm a re-applicant this cycle. I received one interview last time, but was not offered admission.
My stats are as follow:

3.8 cGPA, 3.7 SGPA, 33O MCAT
California Resident

Extra Currics:
1 year hospital experience
7 months tutoring kids (special needs)
2 months EMT experience (ongoing)
5 months tutoring foreign exchange student
1 year at a soup kitchen
1 year of research
2 years of Musical experience on campus
2 years VP / member of a professional fraternity

I've added quite a bit of experiences after applying the first time, and it really has affected my personal growth. I have not changed my letters of rec, however. Do you think that will raise questions? I felt they were strong as is. I ended up applying late in the cycle last year (september) so i'm getting ready to apply early on this time around.

My list of schools so far is:

Drexel
GWU
Georgetown
NYMC
NYU
UCD
UCI
UCLA
Hofstra
Temple
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland
SUNY Buffalo
U Central Florida

Any changes I should make to this set of schools? I appreciate your advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've known people who, like you, had a strong overall package but just didn't get in for whatever reason. They all got accepted to great places the second go around. This thing is a crapshoot. Your list looks fine.

I remember that Rochester, Einstein, and Albany were all CA friendly. Jefferson might be worth adding to the list too since you have Temple and Drexel already (maybe an "in the area" email might let you kill three birds with one stone). Just some of my thoughts. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to stay in CA, USC
and UCSD will most likely give you interviews will those stats and it's definitely worth applying. Loyola and UIC in Chicago are also good options, as are Penn State and VCU. Unless you're strapped for cash, it's in your best interests to apply broadly. Throw in some top schools too! Good luck:)

As a CA app with similar stats, I had good success with USC, SLU, and OHSU and BU. Also, don't count yourself out with the top schools. And one thing I wish I had considered is the number of applications a school recieves (ie Drexel, GW, BU) as at some of them it makes you a long shot regardless of stats, and I think they may screen out some higher apps thinking that those applicants will get better offers.

Take this as you want, but all 7 of my interviews last year came from schools with averages around 1-2 pts on either side of my MCAT score. The ones with averages around 29-31, didn't seem to seriously consider me. If I applied again, I would be less concerned with "safeties" and more concentrated on " good matches".

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. Much appreciated! I didn't realize I left out Jefferson, but here's my updated list:

Drexel
GWU
Georgetown
NYMC
NYU
UCD
UCI
UCLA
Hofstra
Temple
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland
SUNY Buffalo
U Central Florida
Jefferson
Rochester
Albert Einstein
SLU
UIC
Loyola
VCU
OHSU
BU
UCSD
USC
(ARIZ schools)

I'll probably apply to ~20 - 25 this time around to have better chances.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. Much appreciated! I didn't realize I left out Jefferson, but here's my updated list:

Drexel
GWU
Georgetown
NYMC
NYU
UCD
UCI
UCLA
Hofstra
Temple
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland
SUNY Buffalo
U Central Florida
Jefferson
Rochester
Albert Einstein
SLU
UIC
Loyola
VCU
OHSU
BU
UCSD
USC
(ARIZ schools)

I'll probably apply to ~20 - 25 this time around to have better chances.

Looks good. A couple others to add if you feel so inclined are Vermont (takes over 50% out of state), Tufts, SUNY schools, and I'd echo some others who suggested Albany and Penn State (both really are great if you make it out there for an interview).

I would steer clear of UIC because out of state tuition is something around 70K, about 20K more than the most expensive private school. Also, I think Hofstra has a VERY small class (maybe around 40) so I'm not convinced of your chances based on that alone....

Looks good. A couple others to add if you feel so inclined are Vermont (takes over 50% out of state), Tufts, SUNY schools, and I'd echo some others who suggested Albany and Penn State (both really are great if you make it out there for an interview).

I would steer clear of UIC because out of state tuition is something around 70K, about 20K more than the most expensive private school. Also, I think Hofstra has a VERY small class (maybe around 40) so I'm not convinced of your chances based on that alone....

The current Hofstra class is 40 (average MCAT 33) and this incoming class will be 60. I think next year will be 80, but not positive. They give out a ton of interview invites but are much more conservative with their offers of admission. Just something to keep in mind ;)

I would add MC Wisconsin, Creighton, Wake Forest, Penn State and maybe Iowa. If you need to drop some for financial reasons, delete Hofstra (small class), Rochester (very selective), Georgetown (too many applying), and NYU (highly selective).

Good luck to you this cycle.

One last time, haha.

1. Albany Medical College
2. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
3. Drexel University College of Medicine
4. George Washington University
5. Georgetown University
6. Hofstra North Shore
7. Jefferson
8. Loma Linda University
9. Loyola
10. New York Medical College
11. Oakland University
12. Penn State University
13. Rosalind Franklin University
14. Rush Medical College
15. Saint Louis University
16. Temple
17. Tulane
18. U of Arizona – Phoenix
19. U of Arizona – Tucson
20. UCSD
21. UCD
22. UCI
23. U of Central Florida COM
24. U of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
25. Virginia Commonwealth (VCU)
26. Wake Forest

I'm reconsidering Hofstra because of the classes size to applicant ratio. Central Florida requires another LOR - which could be from a colleague.. but i'm not sure as to how good that would look.

I considered Creighton as well, but I don't have explicit physician shadowing experience, which I believe is a requirement. Any suggestions on other Cali-friendly schools I may be missing?

May have missed it, but I don't see EVMS on your list - lots of folks from CA attend.

You say you applied last year in September. That alone may account for 90+ percent of your problem. Therefore, I wouldn't completely dump all of the schools you applied to this past cycle, but I would add some of those on your list.

Thank you! I actually haven't yet looked into EVMS. I'll take a look.