MD School List Help-Ca Resident (reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolmyname

Lord Have MRSA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Before you start reading, let me express my thanks.

Im going to be a reapplicant this year and so was hoping I could get some help on my school list. CA resident, graduating from SJSU Biomedical engineering

Academics/MCAT
cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 30 (11/9/10)

Extracurriculars:
Extensive research: Roughly 400 hours of research that culminated into a large presentation of my findings at a school/industry sponspored event (no pubs unfortunately)

Worked at a biomedical company for about a month (short term opportunity). Also worked at a tech company as an intern

Active member in a variety of clubs and community organizations on/off my campus (about 6)

Volunteer at a Hospital (last app cycle was only 150 hours, added another 200 since then) 350 hours

Shadowed a doctor for about 100 hours

Changed my PS statement (focused more on elements of my medical experiences than my old PS which was resumiesh)
Also worked on making my experience descritpitions more personal and added on an additional two experiences/continued some experiences that I had stopped doing due to school constraints.

Schools Im considering for this year:
Albany (applied last cycle=alc)
Boston University
Central Michigan University
Cooper Medical School (alc)
Creighton (alc)
Drexel University
Georgetown university (alc)
Loyola
Temple
Jefferson
Rosy Franklin (alc)
NY medical (alc)
Oakland University (alc)
Pennsylvania state (alc)
MCW (alc)
Rush (alc)
St. Louis
Commonwealth medical (alc)
Tufts
Western Michigan (alc)
University of Hawaii
reach:
UC Davis (alc)
UCSF (probably major reach but i love the program so going for it, alc)

never applied but dream (taking a shot):
Stanford
Cornell (have a professor who came from a reputable group within the university who wrote me a letter so hoping that might help, im certain its a strong letter.)

I'd really like some help with my major school list, which do you think i should cut out or which schools do u think i should add in? Also I've heard about the SUNY schools should I consider adding one or two of them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey man, sorry it didn't work out for you this cycle. Can you post your previous list as well?

hey man, sorry it didn't work out for you this cycle. Can you post your previous list as well?
sure here is my old list:
Albany
Cooper
Creighton
UCLA
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Keck
Loma Linda
MCW
MSU
NYMC
Northeast Ohio Medical
Oakland University
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical
Commonwealth
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
UC SD
UC SF
UC Davis
UCI
U of Illinois
Wake Forest
Western Michigan University
(i know that some of these schools were reaches, but I don't know why such a lack luster of II) only got two interviews from this whole bunch. I felt i did well on the secondaries i got (which was most of the schools) probably but then again im not exactly an unbiased party. I do know that some schools automatically request a secondary before even reviewing the application so Im hoping the changes i made will help, ill make sure that I defiently work on my secondaries even harder this time. id appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like last year you applied rather broadly, and there was a good number of public OOS schools in that list. Assuming you didn't apply late, I'd say that the MCAT was probably holding you back from getting more interviews at some of those public OOS schools, and you may want to focus on applying to more private schools of similar competitiveness to the two schools that interviewed you.

Can/did you get feedback from the two schools that interviewed you?

Your 3.9+ GPA in engineering is superb, but I'd say that the MCAT is going to set the ceiling for the type of schools you should apply to for a re-app cycle.

As for ECs, the research looks good and the clinical is sufficient at 350 hrs. Is there other non-clinical volunteering? Would a third-party reviewer assess you as spread thinly across 6 campus activities? Also is it useful to list an activity that lasted only one month? As for existing ECs, is there non-clinical volunteering? Have you considered a more diverse shadowing experience (3 or 4 areas total)?

Interviews. How do you think they went?

Cornell, UCSF and Stanford will appreciate the donation in the form of your app fees, but it's a lot faster to simply flush the money down the toilet.

Goro suggests:

UCD
Loma Linda
Albany
Cooper Medical School
Drexel University
Georgetown university
Loyola
Temple
Jefferson
Rosy Franklin
NY medical
Oakland University
Pennsylvania state
MCW
Rush
St. Louis
Commonwealth medical
Tufts
Western Michigan
GWU
EVMS
VCU
Wake Forest
Creighton
Any DO school

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like last year you applied rather broadly, and there was a good number of public OOS schools in that list. Assuming you didn't apply late, I'd say that the MCAT was probably holding you back from getting more interviews at some of those public OOS schools, and you may want to focus on applying to more private schools of similar competitiveness to the two schools that interviewed you.

Can/did you get feedback from the two schools that interviewed you?

Your 3.9+ GPA in engineering is superb, but I'd say that the MCAT is going to set the ceiling for the type of schools you should apply to for a re-app cycle.

As for ECs, the research looks good and the clinical is sufficient at 350 hrs. Is there other non-clinical volunteering? Would a third-party reviewer assess you as spread thinly across 6 campus activities? Also is it useful to list an activity that lasted only one month? As for existing ECs, is there non-clinical volunteering? Have you considered a more diverse shadowing experience (3 or 4 areas total)?

Interviews. How do you think they went?
I applied about a month after the application opened so im definetly going to to submit earlier this time around. For vlunterring yes much of it is actually non clinical. Fro the the 6 yah it might seems that way but its not like all were done at one time you know what I mean, some were things i did early on in my school years, others were later and some overlap.

Cornell, UCSF and Stanford will appreciate the donation in the form of your app fees, but it's a lot faster to simply flush the money down the toilet.

Goro suggests:

UCD
Loma Linda
Albany
Cooper Medical School
Drexel University
Georgetown university
Loyola
Temple
Jefferson
Rosy Franklin
NY medical
Oakland University
Pennsylvania state
MCW
Rush
St. Louis
Commonwealth medical
Tufts
Western Michigan
GWU
EVMS
VCU
Wake Forest
Creighton
Any DO school
@Goro would u not recommend any of the sunny schools? i tried GWU last year, just too many applicants not gonna bother with them. yeah ill eliminate UCSF, cornell, and stanford, fckin 36 MCAT averages holy ****

I would get rid of hawaii 'cause they barely accept OOS applicants

"Sunny schools"? Do you mean schools in the Sunshine state of FL? The SUNYs? The rest of the UCs? No to all given the well below avg MCAT score.

@Goro would u not recommend any of the sunny schools? i tried GWU last year, just too many applicants not gonna bother with them. yeah ill eliminate UCSF, cornell, and stanford, fckin 36 MCAT averages holy ****

Reactions: 1 user