School List Help Needed! 3.7 GPA, 30Q MCAT, MN resident,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kthon9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on which schools to apply to and I am having a really hard time! I live in Minnesota and I have ties to Wisconsin. I am hoping to stay in the Midwest. I have a 30Q MCAT (is this good enough?) and a 3.7 gpa (3.6 science gpa). I have decent ECs but no research experience. I would like to go into pediatrics or family medicine.

I am fairly set on applying to the U of M TC and Duluth, Creighton, and the Medical College of Wisconsin, but beyond that I am stuck. I am considering the U of Iowa, Rosalind franklin, U of Nebraska, U of Colorado, and Ohio State, but I'm not sure how OOS friendly these schools are. What other schools would be reasonable for me to get into? Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide on which schools to apply to and I am having a really hard time! I live in Minnesota and I have ties to Wisconsin. I am hoping to stay in the Midwest. I have a 30Q MCAT (is this good enough?) and a 3.7 gpa (3.6 science gpa). I have decent ECs but no research experience. I would like to go into pediatrics or family medicine.

I am fairly set on applying to the U of M TC and Duluth, Creighton, and the Medical College of Wisconsin, but beyond that I am stuck. I am considering the U of Iowa, Rosalind franklin, U of Nebraska, U of Colorado, and Ohio State, but I'm not sure how OOS friendly these schools are. What other schools would be reasonable for me to get into? Any and all advice would be appreciated!

What's your MCAT breakdown? If you have a score below an 8, it might negatively affect your chances.

U of M TC has a pretty tough admissions process even for a state resident. What are your specific extracurriculars? Anything that makes you stand out of of thousands of applicants?

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would apply as broadly as possible. This means to around ~25 schools. Your stats are at the median/below median to the schools you are applying to (being quite blunt here), and your MCAT is below average for UMN. But, if you apply early, you certainly have a shot at getting in.

Have you thought about applying to Rush, Tulane, University of Arizona, Hofstra? Definitely schools that I would look into. I would also add Boston U. They tend to be ok with your stats, and you might get lucky.

Thanks for the response!
My MCAT scores were 11V, 10P, 9B with a Q in writing.
I know that my score is cutting it close but I'm hoping my ECs will make up for it.

Some of my extracurriculars...
-EMT-B (i've done some random volunteering and am part of my school's EMT club)
-volunteered at the U of M med school as a classroom assistant for a global health course (hoping this helps me when applying there??)
-volunteered for a month at an orphanage in costa rica
-volunteer at the local hospital's ER and a sports medicine center
-spanish tutor
-president/captain of my rugby team

I'm hoping to submit my application in the next couple days, I have everything done except for the schools list, so I should be pretty early in the cycle

University of AZ was on my list (I have some family down there) as well as boston and Tulane. I'll definitely look into the others! Thanks again