This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markymarc730

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so long-time lurker here but first time poster so I am not totally sure if there is a set format for giving our credentials and what-not but I just wanted to put my pre-preliminary list of schools out there (there's like 20) and see what suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!

OK so I am a white male from NJ. I am currently a chemistry major at a highly ranked public school.
Cumulative GPA: 4.00
MCAT 523: 132,130,132,129

Volunteer:
200 hours of shadowing (includes pretty awesome experiences such as scrubbing into surgeries)
~75 hours of volunteering in a local ED (this will continue to increase over the coming summer)
~100 hours volunteering in the local community for non-medical purposes
I will be going on a volunteer mission to Peru this winter (after I have already applied)

Leadership:
Vice-president of two on-campus clubs

I am a board member for a committee organized by my school in charge of reforming the school's Honors Program (as part of this I have conducted surveys, analyzed results, and am currently helping some of the professors heading the committee write up a report summarizing some of these results plus a lot of other things)

I also have tutored and mentored quite a bit

Research:
I work in an organic/medicinal chemistry research lab. I have discovered a rxn involved in synthesis of a specific class of drugs but sadly it will not be anywhere near publication by the time I apply. I will continue this work until I graduate.

School List:
1.) New Jersey Medical School

2.) Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

3.) Cooper Medical School of Rowen University

4.) Drexel University College of Medicine

5.) Albert Einstein College of Medicine

6.) New York Medical College

7.) Duke University School of Medicine

8.) Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

9.) Albany Medical College (I am above the 90th percentile)

10.) Boston University School of Medicine

11.) Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University

12.) Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine

13.) University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry

14.) Wake Forest School of Medicine

15.) University of Virginia School of Medicine

16.) Emory University School of Medicine

17.) New York University School of Medicine

18.) Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

19.) Harvard Medical School

20.) Tufts University School of Medicine

21.) Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

22.) University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

23.) Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

24.) Geisel school of Medicine at Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Numerically you stack up. The rest is on you to write a good app.

Personally, with your numbers I'd throw apps to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford too. Not many people have a LizzyM of 80. Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
And don't count on your Peru trip counting for much. But you seem to be in good shape. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the money, I would through in some more top schools Chicago, Yale, Columbia, Cornell. Top schools can be a crapshoot, but if you put out enough apps you have a decent chance of netting one.

Good luck!

You have pretty good shot for NJMS or RWJ. Take out Drexel/Cooper/NYMC/Hofstra/Temple. AT LEAST take out temple/Drexel they have like 10,000+ applicants and are low yield.

Your GPA/MCAT is good I would definitely add WashU St.louis they seem to prefer number heavy applicants. Also, although your extracurricular aren't that impressive, aim high. I'd add Stanford, UCSF, Vanderbilt, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Johns Hopkins.

[BTW I have similar stats/extracurricular as you+ I'm NJ resident. I got in NJMS/RWJ, 2 Top 40 schools, 2 Top 20 schools, wait list at top 20 and top 5.]