School List Help - Where Should I Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvmedicine2

1 Peter 5:10
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a nontraditional, URM female and I could really use some assistance with my school list. I fear that I am not too competitive for my state of residence (IL), so I need to cast a wide net. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

GPAs: 3.36 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA
Undergrad Major: Biology/Pre-medicine
Post-baccalaureate: Medical Sciences - no degree or certificate received
Graduate Degree: Master of Public Health - Epidemiology/Health Education & Promotion (expected May 2017)
MCAT: 28 (10 PS/9 VR/9 BS)
ECs: 600+ hours community service/volunteering, 96 hours teacher assisting (Anatomy & Physiology Lab), 56 hours attending/hosting clinical conferences
Research: 912 hours of undergraduate research
Other: 156 hours physician shadowing/clinical observation, 4588 hours medical/clinical paid employment

Members don't see this ad.

I'm African American. And yes, absolutely.

My AACOMAS stats are actually a little stronger (3.45 oGPA, 3.19 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm African American. And yes, absolutely.

My AACOMAS stats are actually a little stronger (3.45 oGPA, 3.19 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA).
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 75% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You are competitive for your state school and also consider applying to these:
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
GW
Indiana
You need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by September.
For DO schools you could try MU-COM, CCOM, ATSU-KCOM, DMU-COM, ARCOM (new school), NYIT-Arkansas (new school), LECOM, PCOM. You are competitive for any DO school so apply to any that appeal to you. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 75% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You are competitive for your state school and also consider applying to these:
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
GW
Indiana
You need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by September.
For DO schools you could try MU-COM, CCOM, ATSU-KCOM, DMU-COM, ARCOM (new school), NYIT-Arkansas (new school), LECOM, PCOM. You are competitive for any DO school so apply to any that appeal to you. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.
Thank you very much. I will apply ASAP. Fortunately, I do have a DO LOR.

OP, I remember you posting in the URM forum and you noted how this is your 5th app cycle. As such this complicates things a bit. You should be focusing on schools where you are not a reapplicant. Also whatever issues that prevented you from netting an acceptance should be addressed. Also I would recommend doing mock interviews with your school career center. Providing more information on your unsuccessful app cycles would help adcoms like @Faha @gyngyn and @Goro advise you better.

I hope you have a successful cycle this time around! :)

Reactions: 1 users