School List: Research heavy application with an mcat decrease (Am I too top heavy?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadenza2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA: 3.8 cGPA / 3.81 sGPA (strong upward trend? 3.23 > 3.69 > 4.00 > 3.96 > 4.00)
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (129/131/126/128) --> 511 (126/127/129/129) - (I realize I took a huge risk, which did not pay off. I was getting 520+ on FL so I thought I had a chance.)
State of residence: FL
Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
Undergraduate institution: Top 15 (competitive, known for grade deflation)
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
President and reinstated school club as a state chartered Lions Club with screening/volunteering/awareness events (4 yrs, 400+ hours)
Patient intake volunteer and coordinator for low vision department (4 yrs, 150 hours)
Direct patient casework in low income clinic with leadership role in the program (3 yrs, 850)
Adult emergency department (1 yr, 90)
Research experience and productivity:
5 years by application time with about 1500+ hours
4 first author publications in clinical research, 1 poster (clinical-national conference), 1 conference talk (clinical- campus); 2 conference talks in medical humanities independent project (1 international conference, 1 national)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Ophthalmology (2 month, 90)
General surgery (1 month, 80)
Neurology (1 month, 20)
Global medical brigades: dental, gyno, pharmacy (60)
Non-clinical volunteering:
VP and performer (flute/piano) for club ensemble performance club in clinic/nursing homes (4 yr, 150)
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Head TA for Orgo lab (2 yrs, 720)
VP and performer of Asian music band playing traditional Chinese instrument (3 years, 150)
General biology assistant (Paid/class credit)– answer questions, caption videos, grade exams (2 yrs, 110)
Relevant honors or awards:
Senior Award for Teaching and Research
Honors in major and general honors
Research Award Grant (Independent Project)
Conference Travel Grant Award
LOR: Not sure if this relevant, but I am getting a strong recommendation letter from a bio professor who I had multiple classes and worked under, chem professor who I TA-ed for, english professor who I received an A on her class and she served as the research advisor for independent medical humanities project, my PI, district governor of lions, program manager of clinical volunteering in low income clinic who I worked under for all 3 years
Gap year: full time clinical research associate position in UM
School list:
1. Umiami
2. Wake Forest
3. Georgetown
4. Umassachuettes
5. Dartmouth
6. UFlorida
7. UMD
8. UCincinnati
9. Albert Einstein
10. Rochester
11. Brown
12. USC (Keck)
13. Ohio State
14. Boston University
15. Emory
16. Case Western
17. UNC (Chapel Hill)
18. UCSD
19. Vanderbilt
20. Umichigan
21. Uchicago
22. Yale
23. Pittsburgh
24. Duke
25. NYU
26. Cornell
27. Columbia
28. UCLA
29. UCSF
30. Stanford
31. Johns Hopkins

Any comments and critiques will be greatly appreciated. I understand that I really shot myself in the foot with that second mcat. I tried to pick schools that doesn't just look at the most recent mcat (ie. superscores, looks at all, or average) and appears to value research. Are there schools on this list I shouldn't even bother because of my stats? Any schools I can add?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is probably best to add all of your FL state schools and remove OOS public schools (UMass, UNC, etc). Your list is pretty top heavy. Do you have MSAR?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
It is probably best to add all of your FL state schools and remove OOS public schools (UMass, UNC, etc). Your list is pretty top heavy. Do you have MSAR?
Thank you! I will definitely add the FL state schools. For the OOS public schools, how did you decide which ones are okay with an out of state applications? I was just looking at how many OOS applicants they interviewed and if they seems like a decent ratio, I kept them on the list. Or is it a bad idea in general to apply to public state schools regardless? I realize I'm at 10th percentile for some of them. Do you think my ECs would allow some of them to give me a second glance? Or is that wishful thinking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember the exact metric suggested by my advisor but I know it involved > 50 OOS students matriculating. I personally didn't apply to any OOS public schools except UMich though since my GPA was pretty low (~3.5). You just might be better off applying to private schools such as Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Quinnipiac. You can use MSAR to try to find schools where you are > 25th percentile for MCAT and higher for GPA

• Love
I can't remember the exact metric suggested by my advisor but I know it involved > 50 OOS students matriculating. I personally didn't apply to any OOS public schools except UMich though since my GPA was pretty low (~3.5). You just might be better off applying to private schools such as Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Quinnipiac. You can use MSAR to try to find schools where you are > 25th percentile for MCAT and higher for GPA
Thank you so much for the clarification! I really appreciate your help.

Add all of your other Florida schools. Schools such as Hopkins, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Yale, UCSF, UChicago, NYU are reaches with your MCAT scores. UCSD, UCLA and UNC accept few non residents with your MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Add all of your other Florida schools. Schools such as Hopkins, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Yale, UCSF, UChicago, NYU are reaches with your MCAT scores. UCSD, UCLA and UNC accept few non residents with your MCAT scores.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your honesty. Would you recommend adding public medical schools from outside of Florida? Or would that be the same situation as the California schools?