School list review / 34 yo applicant / Veteran / low stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evistor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all, I am 34 y/o with an economics degree and am an veteran (army medic).

I have picked out a list of schools OOS and was wondering if there was anything particular to worry about when applying for these schools (such as religion, ethnicity, age limit, in-state only, or just out of the ordinary requirements)

• ARIZONA -Arizona school of Dentistry & Oral Health
  • ARIZONA -Midwestern
  • CALIFORNIA -Western
  • ILLINOIS -Midwestern
  • MAINE -New England College
  • UTAH -Roseman
  • MISSOURI -Missouri school of dentistry

I do have additional schools in my list but these are the one that I want to know.
I would be glad if anyone can point out anything that I need to be worried about besides GPA/DAT

Also if there is any school that is military (or old applicants) friendly, please do let me know. ;)

Thanks in advance and have a good day! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Without your stats, what kind of feedback are you expecting to get...?

Reactions: 1 user
such as religion, ethnicity, age limit, in-state only, or just out of the ordinary requirement

^ This!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're good based on those requirements... But I agree with plasmamembrane. We could help you further by telling you if these schools are reaches for you or to consider other schools

No schools ever discriminate on the basis of religion, ethnicity, or age limit (except perhaps Howard and Meharry heavily favoring URM's).

• ARIZONA -Arizona school of Dentistry & Oral Health - enrolled 53 out of 3,011 OOS applicants
  • ARIZONA -Midwestern - enrolled 102 out of 2,612 OOS applicants
  • CALIFORNIA -Western - enrolled 33 out of 1,518 OOS applicants
  • ILLINOIS -Midwestern - enrolled 81 out of 2,481 OOS applicants
  • MAINE -New England College - enrolled 48 out of 1,129 OOS applicants
  • UTAH -Roseman - enrolled 58 out of 1,517 OOS applicants
  • MISSOURI -Missouri school of dentistry - enrolled 30 out of 922 OOS applicants

Stats are from the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide
As you can see it's pretty competitive just about everywhere OOS, and it's probably considerably more difficult with "low stats".

Have you checked out the ADEA guide for age and ethnicity info to extrapolate possible bias? For example, I feel like if a school is skewed towards a younger age range then they probably don't want older applicants even if there isn't anything explicitly stated about there being an age limit. The same can be said for in state/out of state acceptance.

Thanks everyone!!

I feel like I should really comeback when I have my DAT scores then.

Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard of age requirements but, ...
ASDOH age range: 21-37 with an average of 26
MWU-AZ age range 21-40 with an avg of 25
WesternU age range 21-36 with an avg of 26
MWU-IL age range 21-33 with an avg of 24
New England age range 21-38 with an avg of 25
Roseman 22-35 avg: 25
MOSDOH 21-29 avg:24

Although I'd take this age thing lightly

such as religion, ethnicity, age limit, in-state only, or just out of the ordinary requirement

^ This!
Hey check out "doc toothache" guide to getting into dental school. I think it is attached on the home pre-dental page. He has like 10 pages on stuff like this!!

I believe UTHSCSA (TX) is military friendly, but it's also horribly OOS unfriendly. After you take your DAT, check your stats against theirs, maybe call them and see what they say.

Also TX opens their application cycle a month before everyone else, so you'd be pushing it with a later application even if you got it in by early August...

Last edited: