This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyflgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I won't be taking my MCAT until late June and I would like to have an idea of what schools I will be applying to, as well as what my chances are since my GPA is not looking great. I plan to apply to both MD and DO.

Here is some info:

24 y/o female
Florida resident
FIU - Psychology BA, and half way through a second bachelors in Biology
The specialty that I am interested in is psychiatry
Hispanic (I have only lived in the US for 8 years)
Worked all my way through undergrad
Degree GPA 3.76 Summa Cum Laude graduate, member of Psi Chi Honor Society
Current cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.17
Research assistant for 1 year at a Child anxiety and phobia research program at my university
2 years working in a mental health community center as a psychosocial rehabilitation counselor with direct patient exposure
I already have my LORs; 2 from science professors, 1 from a psychiatrist I work with, 1 from the research lab PI, and 1 from a non-science professor

What schools do you think I would have a better shot at (MD and DO)? Preferably in FL. I know it is hard to know without the MCAT score but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What type Hispanic are you?

You should not apply this coming cycle. It is highly unlikely you will be able to craft a well written primary and secondary apps while trying to study for the MCAT. Study for the MCAT for 3 months treat it as a job and study at least from 8 or 9 a.m till 5 or 6 pm and focus on doing well.

With your sGPA it would probably be better for you take take some additional science courses to boost your sGPA. Take them as a non-degree seeking student near whatever medical school you are most interested in (if you want to go to FIU Med take classes at FIU undergrad, if you want to go to UCF Med take classes at UCF undergrad) If you do this you will have the opportunity to not only boost your sGPA but also potentially doing some research or working with faculty affiliated with the school you are most interested in.

If you are not Mexican or Puerto Rican than your best chances are with DO schools if you score around a 505, if you score a 508-510 you would have a chance at your state MD schools.

If you are Mexican or Puerto Rican than you might be able to get into a couple state schools with a 505.

Hello,

I won't be taking my MCAT until late June and I would like to have an idea of what schools I will be applying to, as well as what my chances are since my GPA is not looking great. I plan to apply to both MD and DO.

Here is some info:

24 y/o female
Florida resident
FIU - Psychology BA, and half way through a second bachelors in Biology
The specialty that I am interested in is psychiatry
Hispanic (I have only lived in the US for 8 years)
Worked all my way through undergrad
Degree GPA 3.76 Summa Cum Laude graduate, member of Psi Chi Honor Society
Current cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.17
Research assistant for 1 year at a Child anxiety and phobia research program at my university
2 years working in a mental health community center as a psychosocial rehabilitation counselor with direct patient exposure
I already have my LORs; 2 from science professors, 1 from a psychiatrist I work with, 1 from the research lab PI, and 1 from a non-science professor

What schools do you think I would have a better shot at (MD and DO)? Preferably in FL. I know it is hard to know without the MCAT score but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can properly advise you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What type Hispanic are you?

You should not apply this coming cycle. It is highly unlikely you will be able to craft a well written primary and secondary apps while trying to study for the MCAT. Study for the MCAT for 3 months treat it as a job and study at least from 8 or 9 a.m till 5 or 6 pm and focus on doing well.

With your sGPA it would probably be better for you take take some additional science courses to boost your sGPA. Take them as a non-degree seeking student near whatever medical school you are most interested in (if you want to go to FIU Med take classes at FIU undergrad, if you want to go to UCF Med take classes at UCF undergrad) If you do this you will have the opportunity to not only boost your sGPA but also potentially doing some research or working with faculty affiliated with the school you are most interested in.

If you are not Mexican or Puerto Rican than your best chances are with DO schools if you score around a 505, if you score a 508-510 you would have a chance at your state MD schools.

If you are Mexican or Puerto Rican than you might be able to get into a couple state schools with a 505.
Hello, thanks for your response. I’m Cuban. I have been studying for the MCAT since January for 5 to 7hrs daily, unfortunately I work full time to that’s all the I can devote to studying right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, thanks for your response. I’m Cuban. I have been studying for the MCAT since January for 5 to 7hrs daily, unfortunately I work full time to that’s all the I can devote to studying right now.
Keep at it! I'm sure if you keep doing that you'll do great :)