School Policy of Taking Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackjones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My school has the policy where I must take the USMLE Step 1 before starting third year, but what would happen if I just push the exam back a week? Would they be able to see that?

Im scheduled to take the exam the day before 3rd year rotations, and Im at the stage where I will be finished with FA and most U World Questions by then, but could use an extra 1-2hrs a night after rotation for that week to memorize drugs and hightlighted points.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They can see everything. My friend tried the same thing last year and he was pulled from rotations.
1. Normally your school submits a roster to the NBME people and that is what allows you to register for Step 1
2. I am sure they actively monitor who has/hasn't taken the exam

Yes they can see everything, when/where you take exam, if you pushed back your exam, I would NOT take that chance unless I talk to school first to make sure they are OK w/ it.

Hi,

My school has the policy where I must take the USMLE Step 1 before starting third year, but what would happen if I just push the exam back a week? Would they be able to see that?

Im scheduled to take the exam the day before 3rd year rotations, and Im at the stage where I will be finished with FA and most U World Questions by then, but could use an extra 1-2hrs a night after rotation for that week to memorize drugs and hightlighted points.

Thanks
I think it's funny you think 14 hrs total is going to change your score much. That's one day for some. Plus depending on what rotation you start with, I'm tired after putting in between 12-17 hrs at the hospital each day

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely you'll be burned out by your first couple days of rotations (if you're doing it right) and you won't have the energy to study effectively in the evenings. All that's going to do is increase the time between your last review of material and the test date, which will make all the info rusty in your brain and be a lot worse for your score.

btw, your school definitely knows when you take the exam. I switched my exam date/location around a couple times before test day and each time I did it was updated on my 3rd year rotation schedule within 24h. Somehow they're getting that info.

You can push back your first rotation here to take extra time to study for it. Just have to make that rotation up 4th year.

Hi,

Thanks

they know... everything.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I already pushed back my first rotation. Can you push back the 2nd rotation as well?

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I already pushed back my first rotation. Can you push back the 2nd rotation as well?

No one other than your school admins or other students from your school is going to be able to answer that question...

How long is your first rotation? If you were only hoping to push it back a week, and you've already pushed bad the first one....then why push back another rotation?

We have until senior year at my school to take step 1. My first rotation (resucc./periop. medicine) which starts next month for me is the easiest one of 3rd year, and we get out by 12 or 1 almost everday, so if need be, I might delay my exam if I don't feel prepared at the end of July. I have heard of others on family medicine who have 4 workday/week schedules with two of those days being half days. So my point is, it's possible to delay step 1 if you have the right conditions with school policy and the right rotation, but if you have to take time off school, or push a rotation back, or if you are starting with surgery or medicine, it's probably not worth it for an extra one or two hours a day of studying.