School Psych vs. General PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyapps

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone on the board have their eye on a career as a school psychologist? This is my latest thought - seems like it could be a decent gig. However, didn't apply to any school psych programs - only general psyd programs.

I haven't researched this depth yet, but does anyone know off hand what it takes to be a school psychologist in most school districts? Would a general psyd degree be a good enough start, or would I require a lot of post doc classes, training and certification since I didn't graduate from a school psych program?

Muchos grac!

Members don't see this ad.

psyapps said:
Hi all,

Anyone on the board have their eye on a career as a school psychologist? This is my latest thought - seems like it could be a decent gig. However, didn't apply to any school psych programs - only general psyd programs.

I haven't researched this depth yet, but does anyone know off hand what it takes to be a school psychologist in most school districts? Would a general psyd degree be a good enough start, or would I require a lot of post doc classes, training and certification since I didn't graduate from a school psych program?

Muchos grac!

I don't have the answer to the question, but worked at in the student support services department at an elementary school last year, and was a teacher before that. I do not know what the licensure requirements are to work in a school. However, I do know that most people who work in schools only have a masters degree. It would seem to me that a PsyD would be more than enough training, but that is just a guess.

The other thing that I have read alot of recently is that school psychology is the area where professionals are predicting for the most growth over the next 10 years, because there are not too many people entering these programs, etc. So, it doesn't really answer your question, but it is probably a good place to specialize in! If I hear anything, I will definitely pass it on.

With a clinical doctoraate you are way overqualified for the duties of a school psychologist, AND in most places I know of (california) you will still need the PPL (or the like) credential whether you have a MA or doctorate. School psych used to be big, but districts are ditching the concept fast here in Ca, as it is too expensive, and has alot of liability. If a district needs an eval they hire a licensed psychologist; it saves money in the end and it releases the school from any liability regarding the results (low IQ, SED, special ed). Also the big knock for school psych is you are not licensed to do anything independently outside of your 9-5 job with the school. Go for the clinical license, and if you still like the school setting and job duties (testing etc.) then contract with a district. This way you can have other jobs in private work, hospitals etc... whatever interests you. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not in Ca P! Anyhow a license to practice school psych if it exists is not an independent license.

:)

This isn't a direct reply to the licensing issue (because, honestly, I really don't know anything about it), but I have a friend with a PhD in school psych and she doesn't even work in a school. She works for a private psych consulting firm doing evals and assessments, and (I believe) some family work. So it seems that there is quite a bit of flexibility in practice opportunities.