School Psychology with a clinical degree

Started by Sanman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sanman

O.G.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen people practicing school psychology and having a state certification in school psych with a clinical degree. How does one go about doing so?
 
I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but in Kansas I believe school psych licensure requires a specialist degree (EdSp or SpEd) and a 1 year post-grad fellowship/externship. At my particular school, the traditional sequence consists of a master's in ed psych followed by a specialist in school psych and then the fellowship. Is this what you mean? I'm assuming the EdSp is a clinical degree because it neither requires a dissertation or doc essay. Although admission does require completion of a master's thesis. I think the whole specialist degree thing is kinda strange. Not bad, but not exactly used by any other fields except education.
 
Thanks for the info chicoborja, but I was referring to the fact that I have seen people with clinical psychology PhD's practicing as school psychs and was wondering if it was as simple as taking the state cert. exam or if there was more to it than that.