School tiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading posts about the different tiers of programs and am curious which programs rank where in the proverbial food chain.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of the risk of becoming the last person to post on nearly every recent message around here, I would suggest you read through previous posts. There are innummerable threads on this subject. Some of them are buried within subject lines that seem irrelevant though, but you can search my old posts and I'm sure you'll find them pretty easy.

Basically, tier systems and ratings are a bunch of hooey. There are a lot of good programs out there where you will get an outstanding education and training. Some programs are better for certain individuals, depending on many things including lifestyle choices, potential career path, learning style, size of program, intensity, etc. All have their differences but there are certainly no hard and fast rating systems or ladders of superiority. In general, big university programs are more highly regarded than other programs, as are those with a significant component of research $$$ and opportunities. But you don't have to go to a "top 5" program to succeed in pathology, no matter what you want to do. No matter what rankings you see, someone will disagree with them (and usually strongly), and with good reason. If you go to the rank list thread you will see lots of different rankings.

So, ask around if you are interested in the field. Ask pathologists. Look for areas in the country you are interested in living, and perhaps programs with a strength in areas you are interested in. Good luck and keep an open mind.