Schools Giving Early "Consultations"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those who are applying NEXT YEAR - I've been able to secure three "informational" interviews with deans of admission at the following schools for over winter break:
University of Cincinnati
Northwestern
Ohio State University.
Rush and Loyola weren't interested - said they were too busy to mess with those not in this year's cycle.
Check with schools in and around your hometown - they met let you sneak in and say hi, too! I figure it doesn't hurt to see what these schools are about early. Also, just a suggestion if egg nog isn't keeping the familiar relative banter interesting!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the schools being to busy to accomodate you, you might try sheduling a meeting after the admissions cycle is over, like late May or in the Summer. This would also keep your face/name fresh when your real interviews roll around.

That is an awesome recommendation! I have been wanting to meet the dean of my state med school but i didn't think it could be done. Just a quick question--what ELSE can I ask him at the interview besides information about the school? Can I be lame and ask him point blank, "what are my chances if I apply?" Is that even done? I feel like i already do know enough about the school. What else can I expect at a "consultation interview?"

Thanks,
Tweetie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•Can I be lame and ask him point blank, "what are my chances if I apply?" Is that even done? I feel like i already do know enough about the school. What else can I expect at a "consultation interview?"•••

I would definitely ask that question, but maybe worded like "what can I do to improve my chances of admission to this school?" I know people who asked this question, and got good feedback. They are usually quite honest when answering these questions.

As far as what else you can find out, I guess you could find out whatever you want to know about the school. Most of the deans are pretty psyched about their particular school, and are very willing to tell others (you) about its strengths. Since you said you know lots already, you might ask them to tell you what you don't know.

Fredonia, good idea! Your initiative will serve you well when you apply next year.

Having said that, I must also say that I find it ABSURD that Northwestern is able to find time to interview applicants from next year's class when they seem so inept at processing this year's applications. My Northwestern secondary was complete on 9/13, yet their status web site continues to apologize for any "convenience" they may be causing me! Well, they needn't worry about that! (Sorry. Had to vent.)

My husband and I met with Dr. Burns at MCO and Dr. Kirby at Case Western 2 years prior to applying (at the beginning of our road back to school). Both were very helpful.

Thanks for the advice Jamier. I haven't taken my MCATs yet, so I suppose I'll wait to find my score and then talk to him.
Another question--is it ok to walk into the Dean's office and just schedule an appt with him? (I don't want the secretary to give me a blank stare and tell me ...."errrr..and WHO are you?" I've spoken to an addmissions officer before, and and got good feedback..however, it's nice to always hear stuff from the horse's mouth (if that's the right phrase.)

Thanks again.
Tweetie

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•Another question--is it ok to walk into the Dean's office and just schedule an appt with him? (I don't want the secretary to give me a blank stare and tell me ...."errrr..and WHO are you?"•••

I'd say that this wouldn't be a problem, or you could call them. The ones I spoke with actually asked students to do this when they spoke at pre-med functions so that the applicants know what the school is looking for. I'd say that your MCAT score isn't required for this type of meeting. They probably won't say "OK you got this MCAT and this GPA, well you're in", so I wouldn't worry about not having the MCAT when you meet them.

Wonderful news!
I shall try to meet with him ASAP. Hopefully they won't put me on hold for weeks since it's interview season.
Thanks for your help, Jamier.

Tweetie

Ranger Bob- Actually, Dean Lapin acted sort of exasperated when I first called her about getting a meeting - she said she had interviews on the 4th of January and recommended I pick up a copy of MSAR to answer my questions. I told her I had already done that, and still wanted to meet with her. She gave in, I suppose. She made it sound as though they were really trying to get on track after all the AMCAS topsy-turviness from this summer - so I hope everything goes well for you guys still waiting for some love!
Freddi