Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Schools in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Cdiddy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Cdiddy

Cdiddy Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I know that a majority of the people on this board are from the west coast. I was wondering if anyone had any info on a couple of schools here in georgia. Has anyone applied or have any info on the University of Georgia or South University.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I personally haven't applied to any Georgia schools, but if I don't get in this year, I'm definitely applying to Mercer next year. I may apply to South, but I need to look into their accreditation status.

The only thing I know about Univ of Georgia is that it's out in sleepy-town (if you like that sort of thing). A pharmacist that I work with went there, and she liked it. And my OChem professor from last year went to Mercer, and he talked about it all the time.

4. Caverject

Caverject Try Some Schnitzel!
    10+ Year Member

All 3 schools in Georgia are fantastic in their own ways.

South University: Brand new school, small class size, intimate atmosphere, accelerated 3 year pharmD program

Mercer University: Big class size, located in downtown Atlanta, awesome ASP chapter, very involved in APhA in regional and national functions overall, great school, four year cirriculum

UGA: The big 4 year university, Go Dawgs, strong ASP chapter, involved in state of Georgia affairs. Four year cirriculum

You have to realize what your priorities are. I love South University and there isint a day I regreted going there

5. Caverject

10+ Year Member

We just got re-evaluated and we will find out if we made candidate status or not in June. Honestly, I don't forsee any problems gaining candidate status needed to graduate with a degree thats worth something. We have a VERY influentual dean, and the school for the most part does things the right way. I love this school and I do not believe we will come into any problems

6. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    South2006, I sent you a PM. :)

7. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Isn't Mercer a historically black school?

8. Caverject

10+ Year Member

No, it is not a historcally black school. You're thinking of FAMU

9. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It's a typical college town. Back in the 80's, several bands came from there - the B52s and REM are two that come to mind. I'm not sure if they still have a good club scene, but it's probably still pretty cool.

10. VCU07

VCU07 Member
    10+ Year Member

Athens is a great town...lots to do. So, it never gets dull (the club scece is awsome). However, you have to realize that both UGA and Mercer are very popular schools and tough to get into. Mercer had well over a 1000 applicants this past year. I applied a few years back and got an interview but got wait listed (my stats were a 3.7 and 90% PCAT). They said my PCAT wasnt good enough. So, give that a thought. Even with this said....I would still apply...you never know!

11. Burris

Burris Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont know if this will help you but I am a P1 at UGA. I absolutely love Athens but I also did my undergraduate here. You may be interested in some of this year's stats as far as your chances of getting accepted. The average PCAT this year was a 90 and the average GPA was a 3.8. Most people that I know in my pharmacy class also applied to Mercer and were accepted. I definately recommend applying to both!

12. Ivorymist

Ivorymist Don't take MAOIs with...
    7+ Year Member

I am a P3 at UGA. I love the school and the town, but it has gotten much tougher to get in. When I got accepted the avg GPA was around a 3.5 and PCAT avg was 84 or so, and there were only about 600 applicants. Burris's stats for this year are pretty accurate. A similar situation applies at Mercer in that it's gotten a whole lot more difficult to get accepted.

One of the main advantages of UGA is that it's a public school. I pay public school tuition whereas some of the folks I know down in Mercer fork over 20k a year. I don't know too much about South though.

If you are a late teen or a person in his/her 20s, then it's likely that you'll like Athens very much. It's a typical college town as said earlier. Mercer is near Atlanta and many of their P students commute.