Schools of nursing starting white coat ceremonies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmnrp804

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nobody cares, dont start incendiary threads just because.

Reactions: 1 users
White coat ceremonies are incredibly stupid, they have newer ceremonies evolving these days as well ("pinning ceremonies")... it's pretty funny actually but just a symptom of the overall dumbing down of the culture - celebrating the most mundane of achievements that really have no meaning whatsoever. I think their primary reason, though, is for the schools to reel the alumni back to campus (since a lot of students are children of alumni, at least in med school) and make them feel good enough about the joint to write them another check that they'll waste on another fake "diversity" program or a job for a newer and even more worthless administrative position.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you could tell me nurses are calling themselves MDs and it wouldn't surprise me

Reactions: 22 users
It's silly... and this thread will probably end up spanning pages.

I will point out that the fact their white coats in that pic are "long white coats" is amusing to me.

Reactions: 3 users
You can put a dress on a pig but in the end it's still a pig

And we wonder why people assume women going to medical school are training to become nurses. :(

You would be surprised how many times people think that *I* am a nurse. Fairly certain nurses arent walking around work in dresses and heels. Dont they usually wear pastel carebear print scrubs or something? BLARGH

Reactions: 4 users
I feel the same way about it as I do kindergarten graduation ceremonies.
Ah, yes... I share the feeling. If ours hadn't been mandatory, I wouldn't have attended. I just find the idea of nursing creep into every other facet of healthcare amusing. In my opinion, the only ceremony that counts is graduation day (or for that matter, board results day).

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, yes... I share the feeling. If ours hadn't been mandatory, I wouldn't have attended. I just find the idea of nursing creep into every other facet of healthcare amusing. In my opinion, the only ceremony that counts is graduation day (or for that matter, board results day).

Our was mandatory and I didn't attend. Nothing happened to me.

Wow, well if physicians stopped wearing white coats and start wearing black coats, slowly you would see black coats infiltrate healthcare next would be pharmacist,-> dentist-> physical therapist->, Nurses.

Wow, well if physicians stopped wearing white coats and start wearing black coats, slowly you would see black coats infiltrate healthcare next would be pharmacist,-> dentist-> physical therapist->, Nurses.

Well, one of those is basically a physician for your teeth/mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of nurse hate on this forum is outrageous. Have at least a semblance of GD respect. Calling them pigs is disgusting. yes, it's important to differentiate professions but name calling and making fun of their scrubs is pathetic.

Reactions: 9 users
The amount of nurse hate on this forum is outrageous. Have at least a semblance of GD respect. Calling them pigs is disgusting. yes, it's important to differentiate professions but name calling and making fun of their scrubs is pathetic.

Cry me a river.

It's silly... and this thread will probably end up spanning pages.

Agreed. This is exactly the kind of thread that will live forever. The goons are going to run all over this and flood it with nonsense.

Edit: looks like I should have read further before posting....They got to this thread quicker than I thought.

Braver man than I. Last thing I wanted to do was piss off the powers that be in my first week... They say the same for our graduation ceremony. If we don't show up, we don't get a degree.

Braver man than I. Last thing I wanted to do was piss off the powers that be in my first week... They say the same for our graduation ceremony. If we don't show up, we don't get a degree.

My thoughts were, I could just say I was sick. They can't hold being sick against you like that. I wasn't doing it for any reason other than the lack of disinterest of meeting my classmates and not wasting hours of my time sitting and standing around while the administration blow smoke up our ass saying how great doctors we will be.

I'll never forget my white coat ceremony. It was on the Saturday before medical school started.

I went on a bender to Vegas instead of going.

Nothing happened to me either and don't regret it one bit.

I'll never forget my white coat ceremony. It was on the Saturday before medical school started.

I went on a bender to Vegas instead of going.

Nothing happened to me either and don't regret it one bit.
Wow. My life seems so boring in comparison. I wish I had stories like that. Alas, most of my time is spent behind a lab bench...

I feel the same way about it as I do kindergarten graduation ceremonies.
The "I'm a special snowflake" theme starts early. I swear, if anything has f'ed over the millenial generation, it is this. I normally wouldn't care, but it's really hurting people in their lives now.

Reactions: 10 users
If we didn't go to graduation, we were told we would not receive our diplomas. Not sure if they can legally do that, but don't think anyone tempted faith.
Tempted fate.

Curious to see everyone's opinion on this. I stumbled across this article yesterday and thought it may bring about some good dialogue.

http://news.vcu.edu/article/Nursing_students_savor_schools_first_white_coat_ceremony
The white coat ceremony was combined with the school’s annual lamp lighting ceremony. The lamp is a symbol rooted in the story of Florence Nightingale, who became known for carrying a lamp during her night rounds tending to wounded Crimean War soldiers.

The "I'm a special snowflake" theme starts early. I swear, if anything has f'ed over the millenial generation, it is this. I normally wouldn't care, but it's really hurting people in their lives now.
I agree with you, but don't you notice that plenty on this board as well? I can't stand many of my classmates because of it.

I agree with you, but don't you notice that plenty on this board as well? I can't stand many of my classmates because of it.
Are they not millenials?

True, but is the special snowflake thing worse among med students? I think so.
I don't know about worse in medical students, but it's a known generational characteristic.

True, but is the special snowflake thing worse among med students? I think so.
I don't know if it's worse among med students. It's something I've noticed about most students in general. As DermViser said, it's a generational thing. They (and I guess I mean we?) feel entitled to everything and don't feel the need to work. Most people that I went to school with, and most of my current students feel they "deserve" an A just because they showed up and paid money to go to school. It's rather depressing... White coats seem to propagate this mentality, especially now that everyone gets to wear one. If everyone is special, no one is special.

I don't know if it's worse among med students. It's something I've noticed about most students in general. As DermViser said, it's a generational thing. They (and I guess I mean we?) feel entitled to everything and don't feel the need to work. Most people that I went to school with, and most of my current students feel they "deserve" an A just because they showed up and paid money to go to school. It's rather depressing... White coats seem to propagate this mentality, especially now that everyone gets to wear one. If everyone is special, no one is special.

Hey, now, not all of us are like that...

Srs question, people that repeat 1st year, do they have to undergo white coat ceremony twice? That would be the worst thing ever. I wanted to skip mine so bad, fking parents

Srs question, people that repeat 1st year, do they have to undergo white coat ceremony twice? That would be the worst thing ever. I wanted to skip mine so bad, fking parents
No, they don't. Also, part of being normal is playing the game everyone else plays, no matter how cheesy.

Last edited:
So nurses want to join in on the shortbus celebration circle jerk of humiliation? I always envied nursing students because the only thing saying they were students was their ****ing badge. Have fun looking like a valet/busboy.

So nurses want to join in on the shortbus celebration circle jerk of humiliation? I always envied nursing students because the only thing saying they were students was their ******* badge. Have fun looking like a valet/busboy.
I doubt they actually wear a white coat in a hospital.

I doubt they actually wear a white coat in a hospital.

Why not? Everyone else is doing it... Hell, the only people in a hospital who don't wear white coats are the patients.

Reactions: 10 users
Why not? Everyone else is doing it... Hell, the only people in a hospital who don't wear white coats are the patients.
I like how in the photo in the article - the students jump striaght up to long white coats, no short white coats necessary.