Schools that accept lower gpa's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eep29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know your gpa isn't everything but what are some schools that are more lenient on gpa's?

What ones are sticklers for high gpa's?

Obviously, I know the schools look at the whole package and that by having a lot of animal (varied) experience, and high marks on the GRE - that should help offset the gpa factor. But I was just curious.

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but some schools have an actual hard GPA cutoff, typically around 3.0. They will simply throw your application in the trash if you're below this limit, no matter how varied your experience or compelling your GRE score.

I can't give you any names off the top of my head that I'm really sure of. But, the schools that have hard cutoffs do publish them, usually somewhere on their web site and probably also on their requirements sheet on the VMCAS website - they don't want you to waste your (and their) time applying if you're below the cutoff, so it's not something they're trying to hide.

Western takes students with lower GPAs (my undergrad is 3.0, but my grad is 3.88), as long as you fit into the cohort they are comprising--diverse experience is one of the biggest issues for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my direct experience:

Illinois and Mississippi were more forgiving of a below-average vet school applicant GPA... they were very interested in a "whole package," as does Kansas.

NC State weighs GPA extremely heavily.

Yeah, with Illinois, the first cut is gpa and gre scores. They enter everyone's numbers and then the computer automatically cuts it off at 500. So, it really depends on your competition in any given application year. I think they do figure them in again at the end as a small percentage of your overall rank though.

Glasgow's minimum GPA is 3.2 (I think higher than some schools).

Ross University is well known for taking people with lower GPAs - they just make them work hard and don't care if they fail out.

Texas A&M requires only a 2.9 OR 3.2 on last 45 or something like that for in state. Very lenient, but not sure if it applies to out of state.

Candidates will be considered academically qualified for admission if they meet the minimum academic standards, which are:
N.C. Residents Non-Residents
Cumulative GPA 3.0 3.4

Required Course GPA 3.3 3.4

Last 45 Credit Hours GPA 3.3 3.4

The cumulative GPA includes all college courses. The GPA for the last 45 credit hours goes back a semester at a time. If a student completed 44 credit hours in his/her final three semesters, the College of Veterinary Medicine would go back 4 semesters to calculate the last 45 credit hours, meaning it may be calculated for 46 hours or more.
Determine your GPA by converting to: A 4.0, A-3.7, B+ 3.3, B 3.0, B-2.7, C+ 2.3, C 2.0, C- 1.7, D+ 1.3, D 1.0, D- 0.7, F 0.0. An "A+" grade will be converted to 4.0.

Grades achieved in courses that have been repeated will be averaged.

Alternative eligibility
It is recognized that applicants may not meet the minimum academic standards. In certain cases, applicants that do not meet the minimum GPA requirements may be considered for admission based on alternative evidence of academic qualification as determined by the admissions committee. Consideration under "Alternative Eligibility" applies only to GPA requirements and not the other admissions requirements.

Tuskegee is one to think about...2.7 minimum but they look more at the overall candidate...diversity is also very important. I didn't think i'd want to go there but after visiting and talking with students/professors I loved it. Plus you can live in Auburn and get to know the vet students there and attend other lectures and stuff. You should give it a shot! Plus the deadlines are later and such and the application was easy to get through