Schools that are big on Ethics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen people mention a few schools that are big on ethics, Albany, Boston, etc.

What schools are known to be big on ethics? I ask because I taught a course on medical ethics, something which may be viewed as beneficial to these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Both UPenn and the University of Pittsburgh have graduate programs in bioethics that can be pursued concomitantly with your MD.

Looque said:
Both UPenn and the University of Pittsburgh have graduate programs in bioethics that can be pursued concomitantly with your MD.

Good to know. I am interested in ethics as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you-know-who didn't send your PS to those schools!

Looque said:

Was this an option you needed to select on their secondary?

Rafa said:
I hope you-know-who didn't send your PS to those schools!

Yea i know.
I think it will be fine. It will make for an interesting interview should it come up :laugh:

narc said:
I have seen people mention a few schools that are big on ethics, Albany, Boston, etc.

What schools are known to be big on ethics? I ask because I taught a course on medical ethics, something which may be viewed as beneficial to these schools.

I doubt you will find many schools that place little stock in ethics. It is a profession after all. All 120+ med schools will regard having taught in a medical ethics course as a positive EC. I guess your question should really be which ones offer the most electives in that area.

Law2Doc said:
I doubt you will find many schools that place little stock in ethics. It is a profession after all. All 120+ med schools will regard having taught in a medical ethics course as a positive EC. I guess your question should really be which ones offer the most electives in that area.

Well my guess is that some schools place a larger emphasis on ethics. I am curious to find out which schools those are is my question actually.

narc said:
Well my guess is that some schools place a larger emphasis on ethics. I am curious to find out which schools those are is my question actually.

Georgetown! They are huge on ethics. It would probably be a good thing to write about on their secondary.

narc said:
Was this an option you needed to select on their secondary?

No, although I noted my interest in these areas in my Personal Statement. Just know that if you were to get into one of those schools, you would have the option of applying for a graduate program in bioethics at the same institution (though getting accepted, even once you're in their medical school, is not guaranteed).

narc said:

All schools will touch on medical ethics, patient autonomy, informed consent, DNR orders, the Schiavo case and the like; none will delve all that deeply unless you seek out such electives (outside of the established curricula, usually associated with other schools such as law schools). Most med schools have a tough time fitting in the info required for step 1 during the first two years, and ethics is pretty small component of that test, so don't expect to see a ton of ethics in any school. But all schools will view exposure to medical ethics and teaching such as a positive. You might want to post your question on a different board though, as folks in pre-allo often have not even applied to med school yet.

Oh yeah, and Northwestern has a new Master's program in bioethics and medical humanities. With their secondary, you do check a box to note your interest in the program (as I submit my Northwestern secondary right...about...now!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown is huge in ethics (the Kennedy Institute of Ethics is attached to the university, and they have some of the most iconic and influential faculty members in the field (Pellegrino, Veatch, Beauchamp, etc.) - I had classes there as an undergraduate).

UPitt does offer a bioethics program, but it's a terminal master's. Duquesne University is in town which offers a Ph.D. program in Health Care Ethics, and they have a consortium relationship with Pitt.

UPenn is big in ethics, too. They have at least one big name (which unfortunately escapes me and will hit me at 2 AM) who, IIRC, chaired the last presidential panel on medical ethics.

Baylor is big on ethics...they have a program where you can take a couple elective course in ethics and graduate with a certificate in medical ethics.

Quix said:
Georgetown is huge in ethics (the Kennedy Institute of Ethics is attached to the university, and they have some of the most iconic and influential faculty members in the field (Pellegrino, Veatch, Beauchamp, etc.) - I had classes there as an undergraduate).

UPitt does offer a bioethics program, but it's a terminal master's. Duquesne University is in town which offers a Ph.D. program in Health Care Ethics, and they have a consortium relationship with Pitt.

UPenn is big in ethics, too. They have at least one big name (which unfortunately escapes me and will hit me at 2 AM) who, IIRC, chaired the last presidential panel on medical ethics.

Great info everyone. Keep it coming.

UC Albany is Huge on Ethics. Ughhh!

UC...Albany?

University of Washington too!

I think having a sense of medical ethics could score you some major points in an interview situation. I don't think taking the class will give you a selective advantage over anyone with similar GPA and MCAT just because the school offers a MS in bioethics or something. Remember there is no one class or one activity or one publication in research that is a silver bullet for med school admissions. It all adds up to a comprehensive package that makes you a good or bad cantidate for an interview and hence admission.

good luck

Quix said:

UPenn has Arthur Caplan; is that who you're thinking of? I don't remember off the top of my head if he's been on the President's Council, but he's the first big name that comes to mind there.

janedoe4 said:
UPenn has Arthur Caplan; is that who you're thinking of? I don't remember off the top of my head if he's been on the President's Council, but he's the first big name that comes to mind there.

Dr. Caplan was a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Gulf War Illnesses. He is in every journalist's phone directory and seems to be very available for comments. Penn has a very well regarded center for bioethics. I think that their strength is in research ethics.

U.Chicago has a very strong program in clinical (patient care) ethics.

Indiana also has an ethics program and ethical situations are probably their most common interview question (behind asking about SAT and HS GPA).