Schools that are known for good surgical matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been thinking about whether or not I will go the MD or DO route and I have pretty much decided that I want to go DO for multiple reasons. However, my future interests are in surgery mostly and I know that DO programs are generally more well known for family practice. Which DO schools are known for having good surgery matches? I don't think it helps to know but I'm a MA resident.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I've been thinking about whether or not I will go the MD or DO route and I have pretty much decided that I want to go DO for multiple reasons. However, my future interests are in surgery mostly and I know that DO programs are generally more well known for family practice. Which DO schools are known for having good surgery matches? I don't think it helps to know but I'm a MA resident.

Thanks so much!

You should always try for the MD cycle before considering DO. It makes your life a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

PCOM, DMU, KCU, Rowan, ATSU, TCOM, and Touro-CA come to mine in terms of having a decent number of surgical matches every year.

Agree with @AlteredScale with those schools, and I would add RVU to that list. It is worth remembering though that getting surgery as a DO will take about the same amount of effort coming from any school and that any school can take you where you want to go. For example, LMU-DCOM had an ACGME ortho match at LSU this year and everyone loves to bash on LMU

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
edited

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on this? are you specifically talking matching residencies? From the patient side of things, they really don't care that much so you must be talking in terms of logisitics as a physician.

I realize there is a stigma against DO's but that seems to mostly reside in the medical community itself and not on the patient end.

He's referring to just medical training from M1 to attending. Even if it takes an extra year or two to enter an MD school, it becomes worth it in the long run in terms of matching into a competitive specialty or program. This also leads to an easier time matching into fellowships also.

Once one becomes an attending, it doesn't really matter MD or DO your pay check is still the same (LOL).

Reactions: 1 user
LECOM-B had a vascular, thoracic, and 4 general surgery ACGME matches this past year. Ultimately, you may have to work harder, but matching ACGME surgery is definitely possible from a DO school.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on this? are you specifically talking matching residencies? From the patient side of things, they really don't care that much so you must be talking in terms of logisitics as a physician.

I realize there is a stigma against DO's but that seems to mostly reside in the medical community itself and not on the patient end.

You should always go MD over DO if it is possible. Having the MD makes a significant difference in not only the chances at certain specialties but in your chances at the better programs in any specialty. If DO is your best option, aka like me, then it is almost like a second chance at your dream career. At least that is how I feel about it. For me it is the opportunity at the career that I thought had disappeared after freshmen classes 6 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
edited

Last edited:
You wouldn't happen to attend a school that starts with MSU and ends with COM would you?

No, and I am very pro DO, but that doesn't mean that I have to bury my head in the sand when it comes to the difference in opportunities between the two degrees. Going MD just makes life easier down the road

Reactions: 1 users
edited

Last edited:
To follow up, if your go through the Specialties info on MSAR, you see that ~80% of MD grads go into specialties. This compares to 50-60% of DO grads going into Primary Care. At my school, I'd say that 60% of my grads going into PC. Hence, having the MD will make it easier to specialize. So, wanna be an "ologist?" Go MD.

Now, for Gen Surg, 5% of all of my grads match into this field. For MD schools, it's 6-15%.

This says something more about surgeons, than MD vs DO.

Really weird stat: 13% of Mercer grads go for Gen Surg, but only 7% of Harvard grads do!

No, and I am very pro DO, but that doesn't mean that I have to bury my head in the sand when it comes to the difference in opportunities between the two degrees. Going MD just makes life easier down the road