Schools that don't put much emphasis on MCAT

Started by eg77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eg77

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested to know which schools don't put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores. My MCAT scores are in the mid 20's but I've been told that my extracurricular list is very competitive (research grants, health care aide for paraplegic, working with autistic boy, medical mission trips, human embryonic stem cell research, clinic volunteer, and others). I also have a GPA of 3.7. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at standardized tests.

Are there schools that put more weight on life experiences and volunteering than MCAT scores? I would love to hear you guys' thoughts on this, especially those that have a similar profile.

Thanks in advance.
 
eg77 said:
I'm interested to know which schools don't put a lot of emphasis on MCAT scores. My MCAT scores are in the mid 20's but I've been told that my extracurricular list is very competitive (research grants, health care aide for paraplegic, working with autistic boy, medical mission trips, human embryonic stem cell research, clinic volunteer, and others). I also have a GPA of 3.7. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at standardized tests.

Are there schools that put more weight on life experiences and volunteering than MCAT scores? I would love to hear you guys' thoughts on this, especially those that have a similar profile.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you from?
 
I would say apply to your state schools and some DO schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MoosePilot said:
Where are you from?

Regarding where I'm from:

I'm a Canadian citizen: from Vancouver, British Columbia; Originally I was born and raised in a developing country. I claimed disadvantaged status on AMCAS...I don't know what this even does for me. I'm also a minority and again I don't even know what that will mean for the admissions committees. In Canada, we don't have disadvantaged applicants and minority considerations...Idon't know how the U.S system works.

I've already submitted my AMCAS application to several schools that don't discriminate between out-of-state applicants and Canadian students (all Private schools). However, I'd like to add more schools that would look at my application and activities more than my MCAT scores. I really feel I have a lot to offer if I'm given a chance.

Some people suggested Caribean schools and DO programs but I honestly haven't given those options much thought yet. If you know of any private schools that have a tradition of accepting students such as myself I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
 
Why aren't you applying to canadian schools? some (like mcmaster) don't even require the mcat. And they all place less importance on it than american schools.
 
abraxas said:
I would say apply to your state schools and some DO schools.


also, maybe think about going into physical therapy or art school.
 
stop worrying and apply!

the 2005 MSAR says that for the 2004 cycle, the lowest combined MCAT of an accepted applicant was a 10!!! Yeah, a 10! That's like taking the test while you're sleeping.

So, just apply already!

You may not get into Harvard, but you may get into some school somewhere. Plus, if you don't get in this year, you'll have an easier time next year, since you already know how the game is played.
 
happydays said:
stop worrying and apply!

the 2005 MSAR says that for the 2004 cycle, the lowest combined MCAT of an accepted applicant was a 10!!! Yeah, a 10! That's like taking the test while you're sleeping.

So, just apply already!

You may not get into Harvard, but you may get into some school somewhere. Plus, if you don't get in this year, you'll have an easier time next year, since you already know how the game is played.

Most likely that 10 was from some BS/MD student who didn't need the MCAT and/or didn't care enough. He/She was probably half asleep.
 
DrHopeless said:
Most likely that 10 was from some BS/MD student who didn't need the MCAT and/or didn't care enough. He/She was probably half asleep.

quit worryin and put your best foot forward and give it your best shot....i have a friend with a 3.9 and 23 MCAT who got into med school....and no he was not URM...he is Asian Indian...brilliant guy who i guess just didnt do well on his test..
 
eg77 said:
Regarding where I'm from:

I'm a Canadian citizen: from Vancouver, British Columbia; Originally I was born and raised in a developing country. I claimed disadvantaged status on AMCAS...I don't know what this even does for me. I'm also a minority and again I don't even know what that will mean for the admissions committees. In Canada, we don't have disadvantaged applicants and minority considerations...Idon't know how the U.S system works.

I've already submitted my AMCAS application to several schools that don't discriminate between out-of-state applicants and Canadian students (all Private schools). However, I'd like to add more schools that would look at my application and activities more than my MCAT scores. I really feel I have a lot to offer if I'm given a chance.

Some people suggested Caribean schools and DO programs but I honestly haven't given those options much thought yet. If you know of any private schools that have a tradition of accepting students such as myself I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.


Disadvanatage could open some doors for you. There are a few programs you could apply to - OSU-COM (DO school) bridge program I know is one. Additionally if your MCAT is a little low you could always just apply this year then study for it for next year and retake if you don't get admitted and reapply. I understand to some people reapplication is the end of the world but honestly if you are an average student applying under the age of 30 then you aren't having a time bomb. 😉 You have time.
 
Thank you guys for your replies,

I think I wasn't very clear in my request since a lot of people were encouraging me to apply...which I've already done!! I just want to add more schools.

I'm actually in the process of submitting secondaries to 10 private schools. I'm just wondering if there are certain private schools that consider life experience and volunteers more than MCAT scores.

Other than a few suggesting that I apply to DO programs I haven't gotten any responses regarding private American schools that have a history of accepting students with lower MCATs, aprox. 3.7 GPA, and competitive work/volunteer experience. In other words, I'm looking for schools that do not consider the MCAT to the best indicator of an applicant's academic capabilities.

Since I'm a Canadian citizen, I'll most definitely be applying for Canadian Schools. The only problem is that all the schools here are publicly funded; as a result, they only have very very limited seats for out of province applicants. For example, I'm from British Columbia (which only has one med school); when I apply to McGill's Med school, there are only 5-10 seats available for out-of-province applicants. This is why I appreciate the private U.S schools.
 
eg77 said:
Thank you guys for your replies,

I think I wasn't very clear in my request since a lot of people were encouraging me to apply...which I've already done!! I just want to add more schools.

I'm actually in the process of submitting secondaries to 10 private schools. I'm just wondering if there are certain private schools that consider life experience and volunteers more than MCAT scores.

Other than a few suggesting that I apply to DO programs I haven't gotten any responses regarding private American schools that have a history of accepting students with lower MCATs, aprox. 3.7 GPA, and competitive work/volunteer experience. In other words, I'm looking for schools that do not consider the MCAT to the best indicator of an applicant's academic capabilities.

Since I'm a Canadian citizen, I'll most definitely be applying for Canadian Schools. The only problem is that all the schools here are publicly funded; as a result, they only have very very limited seats for out of province applicants. For example, I'm from British Columbia (which only has one med school); when I apply to McGill's Med school, there are only 5-10 seats available for out-of-province applicants. This is why I appreciate the private U.S schools.


Harvard looks beyond mcat, but most private schools do if you applied disadvantage. Be careful though, you are talking like you have a 2.75 and 20 mcat score. Disadvantage students stats are impacted by mostly socioeconomic chaos which actually affects their statistics. Some can't pay for prep courses others have to take care of siblings while working or support their parents financially some work full time, all while trying to compete with those who go to school an have the leisure of uninterupted study. Thus their numbers tend to be toward the lower end while the non disadvantage student is usually scoring well above 30 mcats and has 3.5+ mcat. Alot of people claim that they are disadvantage and although it seems that its meaning is arbitrary alot of people who check that box seem at an advantage compared to the kid who practically walked on water while facing extremely dire circumstances. Statistically, mcat wise you fall just below the average at most schools, but your gpa is a little above average. Apply to schools that you think you would not mind attending.

Your call seems a little unwarranted according to your numbers.


Fyi, most if not all schools don't take life experiences over mcat, if they did the average age of entering classes would be 32-35 and not 23-26--this should be common sense. Your question is starting to sound more and more ridiculous the more I address it.

This should suffice.