Schools that dont require bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neodynium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm skeptical in whether or not I should switch from pre-pharm to dental.
One of the key things that is holding me back on doing dental is the necessity in doing a total of 8 years to graduate (getting bachelors and then applying, the traditional way). I notice that there are a lot of schools that require a bachelors for admission. Are there any dental schools that don't require a bachelors to apply in which I can minimize the amount of years i'm putting in college? (6-7 years).
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm skeptical in whether or not I should switch from pre-pharm to dental.
One of the key things that is holding me back on doing dental is the necessity in doing a total of 8 years to graduate (getting bachelors and then applying, the traditional way). I notice that there are a lot of schools that require a bachelors for admission. Are there any dental schools that don't require a bachelors to apply in which I can minimize the amount of years i'm putting in college? (6-7 years).
Thanks.
Is there a reason why you cannot do 8 years the traditional way (assuming you get accepted to dental school right away when you apply during your junior year of undergrad)?
There are dental schools that don't require a bachelor degree I think but it is not very common for students without one to get accepted.
Btw, University of Pacific dental school has a 3 year program so you can cut it down to 7 years totally.

Don't you have to build up a bachelors while doing pre-phar as well? I don't think adcoms will pick someone without a degree over one with a degree, just extremely uncommon IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV - i don't think that this dental school REQUIRES a bachelor's degree. You might want to check this school out. I heard both very good things and very bad things about this school.

There are some that dont 'require' a bachelors degree but still favor it. Do not know if there is one that does not factor it in at all.

Hey guys, I'm skeptical in whether or not I should switch from pre-pharm to dental. One of the key things that is holding me back on doing dental is the necessity in doing a total of 8 years to graduate (getting bachelors and then applying, the traditional way). I notice that there are a lot of schools that require a bachelors for admission. Are there any dental schools that don't require a bachelors to apply in which I can minimize the amount of years i'm putting in college? (6-7 years).Thanks.
It would be nice if applicants could set their own pre conditions before applying.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...age-predental-education-of-enrollees.1070379/

I got accepted to Creighton, UMKC and MWU-AZ with 64 hours on my application so it's possible

Last edited:
I come from a program where it's own dental accept students straight from undergrad without bachelors. That said, I know quite a few who apply out and got accepted without bachelors to schools like USC, Columbia, Tufts, Upenn. A lot of the req aren't set in stone, I.e LORs, prereqs, but I wouldn't bank on the exceptions as missing a bachelors makes you less competitive and there's no guarantee.

I come from a program where it's own dental accept students straight from undergrad without bachelors. That said, I know quite a few who apply out and got accepted without bachelors to schools like USC, Columbia, Tufts, Upenn. A lot of the req aren't set in stone, I.e LORs, prereqs, but I wouldn't bank on the exceptions as missing a bachelors makes you less competitive and there's no guarantee.
The students accepted in early admission programs are usually given a B.S. degree upon completion of the basic science courses in ds. There is a small number of applicants, who qualify as enfant terrible, that do enroll with 61-90 credit hours. The only school on your list, that for the 2014 entering class shows 3 enrollees within that group, is UPenn.

Last edited:
I'm currently in my 2nd semester of college doing my pharmacy pre-req courses.
I was wondering if I could use dentistry as a plan B just in case I don't get into pharmacy (applying this summer/I would get notified by sophomore year).
Such that if It didn't work out well, I would continue to do my bachelors to prepare for dental school.
Would this be a good plan? Whereas the courses I am taking would still work for the pre-reqs for dental school? What are your outlooks and advice on this? Thanks.

P.S Here is the curriculum I am on. http://i.gyazo.com/3b1d77078de8e895d44db7de1d664675.png

Don't you have to build up a bachelors while doing pre-phar as well? I don't think adcoms will pick someone without a degree over one with a degree, just extremely uncommon IMO.

I'm currently doing a 2-4 pharmacy program.

I was wondering if I could use dentistry as a plan B just in case I don't get into pharmacy (applying this summer/I would get notified by sophomore year).
Such that if It didn't work out well, I would continue to do my bachelors to prepare for dental school.
Would this be a good plan? Whereas the courses I am taking would still work for the pre-reqs for dental school? What are your outlooks and advice on this? Thanks.

P.S Here is the curriculum I am on. http://i.gyazo.com/3b1d77078de8e895d44db7de1d664675.png
I'm confused? Your backup plan is to buy a Ferrari if the bank loan doesn't go through for a Prius?

Reactions: 2 users

I'm confused? Your backup plan is to buy a Ferrari if the bank loan doesn't go through for a Prius?

I'm also confused. If you're unable to get into pharmacy school with the currently low admission standards (people with sub-3.0s frequently matriculate), then I doubt dental school would be a viable option for a 'back-up plan. Dental school admissions are far more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And if plan B does not work out you can go to plan C.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Plan D: become the next PODUS, elections are up soon so get your LORs in soon.

I've been talking with my pre-pharm friends about this application cycle, and even they agree with me saying that pharm's way easier to get into than dental school...so yeah, dental is probably the wrong choice for your back up plan...

Let's just put this in terms of a hypothetical scenario where I undergo an epiphany and boost my GPA the 2 years following my bachelors? lol. Sorry guys, i'm just anxious and skeptical over the current pharmaceutical field and just currently wondering if I should just ditch pharm and go dental. The pessimism over at the pre-pharm forums are getin' to me ;(

you should do some shadowing first to see if you like the field first while working on boosting your GPA. Do some more research on the average matriculant's GPA for your desired schools. Finally, don't be in such a rush to get done with life; slow down gain some experience (in the general sense) and build up a strong well rounded CV.

Let's just put this in terms of a hypothetical scenario where I undergo an epiphany and boost my GPA the 2 years following my bachelors? lol. Sorry guys, i'm just anxious and skeptical over the current pharmaceutical field and just currently wondering if I should just ditch pharm and go dental. The pessimism over at the pre-pharm forums are getin' to me ;(

Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

Shadow a pharmacist. Get the answers from the source.

Dental school as backup plan???
I feel a little bit out of control when I read that... sorry.
It kinda boils my water when pre-med, pre-pharm or pre-anything take dentistry lightly as if it's less challenging. We as pre-dents work very hard for the limited spots that should be reserved for people who are truly interested in dentistry.
Go shadow and do more research about dentistry like everyone else recommends and go for it (and I mean being determined whether it is pharmacy or dentistry) and don't give up easily on your plan A's in life. There are pre-dent applicants who have to reapply many years before they get accepted so believe in what you love!

Don't worry spend your time on here for a few minutes and you will decide being a dentist doesn't make enough money to pay off the debt. Move to medical forums and you'll learn it isn't worth the money to put in so much time and effort to be micromanaged by others or have your job being taken over by PA's. Move to business and they will tell you to take the easy safe road and check out becoming a dentist because of the economy and risk of going into banking or something.

The point is, every job is a risk every job is competitive and no job you pick will gurantee you wealth. Doctors say become dentist dentist say go into business business men so go into the healthcare field. The grass is always greener on the other side on the Internet.

As for me, I like dentistry and despite the "saturation" you can still find places to work. Can I gurantee I'll be super rich? Of course not but I can be positive I'll at least be able to do a job I like and provide for my family that's more than most of the world can say.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't do dentistry please. They're only good for extractions and maybe cleaning. They harm others by putting in harmful chemcials in fillings, root canal not microbiology sound, implants most cause infections. Putting a metal in a body? nono

Don't do dentistry please. They're only good for extractions and maybe cleaning. They harm others by putting in harmful chemcials in fillings, root canal not microbiology sound, implants most cause infections. Putting a metal in a body? nono

I can see someone believes everything they read on the internet.....lol. (Hope you were being sarcastic)

Thanks.
Just an FYI, it's much more difficult to get into a Dental school than it is for pharmacy school. Just be aware if you are serious about switching.

Sarcasm needs work. It's not apparent enough.

Not necessarily. As long as you have the pre-requisites complete you can apply and (from what I have seen) most of the time still be competitive.

First off, as others have said, using dentistry as a backup plan is probably not the best idea. If you apply to pharmacy school and don't get in chances are you won't have any better luck with dentistry. Second, to address the bold section of your quote, it's no doubt that pharmacy is in a pretty bad place right now but there's no evidence to prove or that it will stay that way for the long term. That being said, I wouldn't choose pharmacy unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you enjoy it and that you could see yourself doing it for the rest of your life. Pharmacy is in a pretty bad place right now in terms of supply and demand and it's probably going to get worse before it gets any better however things are changing pretty rapidly in the field. Pharmacists as well as pharmacy chains and the like are pushing pretty heavily for provider status for pharmacists which, if it is given to them, will expand the role of the pharmacist to more that just a "pill dispenser" and put them more in the realm of a PA (along the lines of letting the doctor do the diagnosing and letting the pharmacist provide the treatment plan, dispense the medication, etc. in conjunction with the doctor). If that happens it will open new doors for pharmacists which could potentially open up a lot of new jobs in the long run thus (theoretically) alleviating the current oversupply. I know that there is a lot of pessimism over there in the pharmacy forums but don't let anyone talk you out of it or into it for that matter. The same goes for dentistry. Do some shadowing in both fields and decide which one you enjoy the most and then do some research on the job market. If you end up choosing dentistry over pharmacy strictly based on the job market then you need to look elsewhere for something you enjoy and want to do despite not so great job prospects.

Sorry for the long post about pharmacy but having been in the field for 6+ years I feel the need to help those in the same position I was (and still am to a certain extent) a while back.