Schools that limit LoR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful6891

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm not verified yet, so I haven't received all my secondaries.
I have six recommendations, all of which are said to be strong.
I'm just wondering...some will not explicitly give you a cap, in which I will send all 6, but my understanding is there will be some that cap at 3, some at 5. First, is this a general truth?

Second, would y'all be willing to post schools that you know for a fact limit or have specific regulations on recommendations?

Of course for the benefit of all, you can list all, but the current list that are of particular interest to me are:

UC's
Stanford
USC
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
MSSM
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Penn
Jefferson
Chicago-Pritzker
Northwestern
Duke

Thanks and g'luck to all applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I'm not verified yet, so I haven't received all my secondaries.
I have six recommendations, all of which are said to be strong.
I'm just wondering...some will not explicitly give you a cap, in which I will send all 6, but my understanding is there will be some that cap at 3, some at 5. First, is this a general truth?

Second, would y'all be willing to post schools that you know for a fact limit or have specific regulations on recommendations?

Of course for the benefit of all, you can list all, but the current list that are of particular interest to me are:

UC's
Stanford
USC
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
MSSM
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Penn
Jefferson
Chicago-Pritzker
Northwestern
Duke

Thanks and g'luck to all applying this cycle!

UCLA caps at 5
Northwestern caps at 3
USC=2 sci required, additional are welcome ("but please remember that we also have to read recommendation letters from 5000 other applicants")
Columbia=No limit
Cornell=No limit
NYU=No limit
BU=No limit
Tufts=No limit
Harvard=No limit
Penn=UPenn or Penn State? Neither has a limit
Jefferson=Their requirement is VERY specific (I think it's one phys, one chem, or something to that effect, so you want to double-check on their secondary instructions)
Chicago/Pritzker=No limit
Duke=I have no idea :)

So say we are applying to a school that limits LORs to 3 (ie Northwestern). Should we go ahead and send 2 science and 1 non science or 2 science and 1 physician? How did you guys choose among your LORs? Without having read all of them I cant decide how to pick the best ones to send :/

Members don't see this ad :)
something I've never understood... what the hell do you need 6 letters for? anything more than 3 just seems excessive... either you have good character of you're an ass. Do you really need 6 letters telling that?

In my case (MSTP applicant):
3 MD letters (2 science profs, 1 non-science)
3 MD/PhD-specific letters (from PI and 2 research mentors)--many programs, such as Tri-I, UCLA, and dear old Penn require three MSTP-specific letters.

It is, in some cases, necessary to have this many letters.