Schools that won’t interview students with 3.8+ GPA/520 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noorh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U Miami
Tulane
Oakland-B
Western MI
USF
Gtown
GWU
Rochester
Keck
U VM
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth
State schools in adjacent states

Additionally, what would be some good “safety schools” for applicants with high stats, but average/unremarkable ECs (besides their own state schools).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure to what extent any of these rules is universally true. I'm a nontrad with those stats (so my status may be different), but I've gotten interviews at Hofstra and at state schools in states besides NY. I don't think there's any such thing, however, as "safety schools" in the med school process. They're all insanely competitive, and I've been really humbled by so many of the people I've met on the interview trail

Reactions: 2 users
My GPA is meh but my MCAT was high and I had a lot of research and ECs. I was promptly placed on pre-II hold at a handful of new DO and MD programs but received II from many of the old, well established DO schools and some in state MD. I think it was yield protection.

As a high LizzyMer i've been surprised where I've gotten interviews (top schools, but also schools that I would have expected to "yield protect me"). As long as you are within or close the 90th percentile MCAT there don't worry about this.

I second the use of my rating system. Once you've come up with a list using that, post it in the WAMC forum along with your application and we'll help you tweak it.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. There are some schools on Goro's list that do interview those applicants, but not with regularity and there has to be something else that makes them seem "attainable". But in general, the list looks good.

As a high LizzyMer i've been surprised where I've gotten interviews (top schools, but also schools that I would have expected to "yield protect me"). As long as you are within or close the 90th percentile MCAT there don't worry about this.

Unless you're Canadian like me. :(

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U Miami
Tulane
Oakland-B
Western MI
USF
Gtown
GWU
Rochester
Keck
U VM
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth
State schools in adjacent states
I disagree, in my experience Rochester places a high value on both stats and ECs as they have the luxury to do so

Sweet humble brag bro
58825809.jpg

Reactions: 1 users