Schools that you would and wouldn't apply to again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnmakr1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been very pleased with the schools that I applied to this cycle.

Schools I would recommend to other people:
OUHCOM- Very pleasant to deal with
CUSOM- Tons of energy and enthusiasm
LMU- Diamond in the rough
COMP- Very helpful over the phone

Schools I wouldn't recommend to other people:
Touro-NY- 200 dollar secondary doesn't mean an interview. I shouldn't of believed the myth. Not really the school's fault though.
LECOM- Impossible to reach a human or get a response

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what any body recommends, any list is still very biased and is worthless. Maybe a poll of "school you wished you didin't apply to/interview/attend..etc" listing every DO school would be better. But I still think it would be useless information.

Would not apply to again: PCOM, VCOM, TUNCOM
Would apply to again: OSUCOM, KCUMB, DMU, KCOM, OUHCOM, SOMA, AZCOM
Wish I had applied to: LMU-DCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Would Apply to again: AZCOM, KCOM, Western -- all gave me quick responses and answers to my questions
Would not apply to again: UMDNJ-- sent fee, never heard a thing back;
Wish I had applied to: NSU-COM

Would Apply to again: AZCOM, KCOM, Western -- all gave me quick responses and answers to my questions
Would not apply to again: UMDNJ-- sent fee, never heard a thing back;
Wish I had applied to: NSU-COM
I would definitely never apply to this school again. I had the exact same thing happen to me. They are extremely unapproachable.

Would apply again : LMU, DMU, NOVA, LECOM
Would not apply again : PCOM-GA

PCOM just took too long to respond, thats all.

If we're talking strictly about dealing with Admissions...

Wouldn't bother again: PCOM/PCOM-GA is my #1 (and really, only) offender. Sent a pleasant e-mail asking about my status (long after 2 months) and they gave me a curt, unsigned, unaddressed reply that said they don't offer updates. Sorry, your admissions department is part of the representation your school gets to prospective students. I'm sure this is a great school, but this left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Comments on others:
-Nova was a little disorganized but they were very nice to deal with over the phone, and I like their electronic scheduler.
-TouroNV got behind on sending out secondaries and were a little tough to get a hold of, but they were extremely pleasant and gave me the info I was looking for when I could get a hold of them.
-TouroCA went completely silent after I sent my secondary... although in fairness I never checked on my status either.
-WVSOM: I say this all the time, but their admissions crew is top notch.
-LMU and OSU-COM were extremely nice about my hold status.
-CCOM, AZCOM, KCOM, DMU and KCUMB were prompt responders to both my secondary decision and questions regarding it.
-Never spoke to an actual person at the LECOMs, but I appreciate their portal system giving me updates.

Pleasantries matter to me.

Last edited:
I would definitely never apply to this school again. I had the exact same thing happen to me. They are extremely unapproachable.

Strange, I had the totally opposite experience with them (UMDNJ-SOM).

I don't know why all the PCOM-GA hate. I called them 1.5 months after submission to inquire about my app (i called the assistant director of admissions). She specifically asked me why I want to practice in a rural area. 10 min later I had an II email. She seemed very nice!

I don't know why all the PCOM-GA hate. I called them 1.5 months after submission to inquire about my app (i called the assistant director of admissions). She specifically asked me why I want to practice in a rural area. 10 min later I had an II email. She seemed very nice!

I gave an explanation. Although I wish someone had told me to call instead of e-mail, as that e-mail indicated to me that contacting them about my app was a fruitless effort.

I gave an explanation. Although I wish someone had told me to call instead of e-mail, as that e-mail indicated to me that contacting them about my app was a fruitless effort.

You probably just encountered a cranky admissions employee.

Would not apply to again:
CUSOM (Rejected post-interview, no idea why, contacted multiple times to see what I could improve on in my application, etc. Refused to respond to me. Also, very religious Baptist school- bleh).
PCOM (Same issue that coolingglasses mentioned)
NOVA (Contacted several times about my application and having issues with the portal, etc. Not very helpful at all. Didn't even bother with the rest of my app there.)
A few others that just took my $$ then sent a rejection letter (sure would be nice if they would just reject you right away rather than taking your money :rolleyes:) And a few that were just very silent. I prefer the schools that send you updates and are communicating often with you.

Would apply to again:
PNWU (Great communication, answered emails swiftly and enjoyed my interview day there)
MUCOM (Amazing communication through emails and SDN! Staff is very helpful and responds to emails within the same day, usually. When you get accepted, they tell you all the reasons they chose you specifically and give you feedback on your MMI results-- made you feel wanted)
ACOM (Good communication and great interview day... although a little turned off by the Dean, also didn't like that he got a DUI shortly after my interview day.. annoying since he preached professionalism and how you're viewed in the community.. :smack: :rolleyes:)
Several others that I didn't have a problem with, but weren't exceptional in any aspect to make noteworthy here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:love: TCOM...such a great school and all of the staff I met were so welcoming and kind.

I would apply again: DMU and Western-COMP (overall great school), SOMA (love the CHC model)

Wish I had applied: LECOM-E, LECOM-B: I would have had to pay OOS tuition at any DO school, and should have applied to these schools on the basis of their cheap tuition

I would not recommend: Touro CA (place looks haunted, the only positive their staff could say about school was its location in the Bay Area, BUT Vallejo is redneck country compared to say SF or Berkeley)

Honorable mention: PNWU has great communication

It is interesting to see how an attitude pervades throughout a school. PCOM is known as being somewhat curt and unapproachable for medical school and residencys. My residency interview there was 15 minutes without any real substance. No tour, no nothing. Did give me a sewing kit though!

Survivor DO

I've been very pleased with the schools that I applied to this cycle.

Schools I would recommend to other people:
OUHCOM- Very pleasant to deal with
CUSOM- Tons of energy and enthusiasm
LMU- Diamond in the rough
COMP- Very helpful over the phone

Schools I wouldn't recommend to other people:
Touro-NY- 200 dollar secondary doesn't mean an interview. I shouldn't of believed the myth. Not really the school's fault though.
LECOM- Impossible to reach a human or get a response

Definitely biased based on everyone's individual experience. For example, Touro-NY, I got the secondary and submitted it in the middle of Feb. (they apparently had issues before that), and I got the ii in early March, so it was well worth it for me.

For LECOM, I would agree that it is impossible to reach a human, but I always got responses. I'd imagine this is highly dependent on when you are trying to contact them and how you do it.

Maybe it would be good to get a list of which schools are responsive through what sort of medium. Like OU-HCOM for example, I've sent them multiple emails (status inquiries, updates, etc) and gotten zip in return. What's the point of saying "contact us at this email" if they don't reply to emails? I'd imagine you had better luck calling them.

I agree that LMU is probably the most responsive school that I applied to. They replied repeatedly to my emails and always answered when I called.

I had the exact same experience with UMDNJ-SOM. I got zip from them. I've sent emails, updates, etc. and nothing.

My list will ultimately be:

Schools to apply to again:
LECOM-E - never had an issue with communication via emailing the right person
Touro-NY - usually someone from admissions replied to my emails within 48 hrs, even though they say to give a week
Marian - also pretty responsive
LMU - responsive via email and phone
AZCOM - friendly and responsive by phone

Schools I won't apply to again:
CCOM - rejected post-secondary within 24 hrs of submitting it (and the fee of course), so my guess is that they screen after secondaries as opposed to before (most DO schools screen before - you save the money and time of the secondary)
UNECOM - see CCOM
UMDNJ - no response at all
KYCOM - no response at all
WCUCOM - I have called, emailed, tried all kinds of ways to contact them and haven't gotten anything from them, not even a generic rejection, or "we received your app" message. I don't know what happened here.

Schools I will reluctantly apply to again:
OU-HCOM - unresponsive by email, but location and school are big pros
KCOM - see CCOM (rejection mailed within 24 hours of submitting the secondary)

You probably just encountered a cranky admissions employee.

My update emails to PCOM received a similar response as coolingglasses'. When I actually had a question they were nice. Overall, I felt neutral to them, but I wish I called them, since apparently that matters...

Last edited:
Your school has the nicest people I ever encountered! :thumbup:

They were awesome, and I have to give big credit where credit is due: they called me before I even got my II e-mail, asking if I could come up that week for an interview since I lived just 3 hours away. Had they not done that, I would've been interviewing in late Nov/Dec (I interviewed in late Oct instead).

It is interesting to see how an attitude pervades throughout a school. PCOM is known as being somewhat curt and unapproachable for medical school and residencys. My residency interview there was 15 minutes without any real substance. No tour, no nothing. Did give me a sewing kit though!

Survivor DO

lol not bad

and last time this was brought up, someone said something to the effect of "the school owes you nothing, they have lots of applicants, etc."

I'd say my secondary fee entitles me to some decent communication, at least. If they look at me as "we owe you nothing" I have no interest in being there. It just reflects poorly on the whole institution, even though it's one department, or even one person.

and last time this was brought up, someone said something to the effect of "the school owes you nothing, they have lots of applicants, etc."

If they look at me as "we owe you nothing" I have no interest in being there. It just reflects poorly on the whole institution, even though it's one department, or even one person.

I totally agree with this.

I would put LECOM-B on the "not again" list. The group interview was a joke.

If needed, I would apply again to all the schools that I applied to the first time.

This was a good question, and some of the answers are very good information for others to have.

dsoz

I would put LECOM-B on the "not again" list. The group interview was a joke.

If needed, I would apply again to all the schools that I applied to the first time.

This was a good question, and some of the answers are very good information for others to have.

dsoz

I honestly liked the group interview (LECOM-E though). I think it really gave you the opportunity to talk about aspects of healthcare that you are interested in, and what from your life influenced that interest. In addition, you got a chance to talk a lot with other interviewees and get to know them better. Personally I felt comfortable with everyone in my group. It doesn't really give you time to talk about yourself in terms of running down your CV, but I think you could easily work experiences into the conversation.

Obviously YMMV.

In hindsight, I applied to way too many schools than I should have.
Wouldn't apply to:
Marian, ACOM: applied here as my backups. Should have just saved my $$.
NOVA because they had the most disorganized admissions department; it was very hard to get a straight answer from them.
CCOM:rejected post secondary. It just seemed like they sent the secondary for the fee.
Touro NY: Initially I was OK with the ridiculous $200 fee, but thankfully I realized that such a high fee would not be worth it so didn't submit the secondary.
LMU- STILL haven't heard back from them post secondary. I guess I should email them withdrawing my application.
Touro NV- applied here due to close proximity to home but post interview realized this school just isnt the right "fit" for me
KCOM- wouldn't have applied here had I known Kirksville is way too rural for my liking.

Would apply again:
AZCOM- admissions people were very pleasant to deal with (I had attached the wrong pages to my CV that I had submitted with my secondary. Fortunately, I caught this error shortly before my interview and was able to resubmit a new CV with no problems).
DMU- they had no problem explaining to me exactly why I was Waitlisted, which I appreciated very much because a lot of schools don't do this
LECOM B- also hated the group interview, but really enjoyed sitting in the PBL session
KCUMB- loved everything about this school except the mandatory attendance policy

Man, all this negative feedback about PCOM. I'm from PA and I'd like to have a shot at this school...but it seems they are not the easiest school to apply to?

I even went through the hoops of getting the extra letters they required since I'm non-trad and could not get a committee letter :(

Man, all this negative feedback about PCOM. I'm from PA and I'd like to have a shot at this school...but it seems they are not the easiest school to apply to?

I even went through the hoops of getting the extra letters they required since I'm non-trad and could not get a committee letter :(

Don't take it to heart. Apply, I'm sure it'll be fine. Whenever I actually had an issue they worked it out. I'm also a non-trad with no committee, so when I talked to them about it, they explained to me what a needed (dean's letter of good standing from degree-granting institution), and I got it to them within a week. They just don't really respond to email updates. Maybe its more valuable to call them.

They don't communicate much, but that's just how it is. If you are competitive enough for them, you'll get the communication you need - i.e. ii's and a decision.

It's probably a great school, one of the older ones iirc. This is largely based on our experience with admissions. And not entirely about our chances to get an interview, but just communicating.

PCOM.... pls respond

pls

:laugh:

I understand. In reading through the PCOM thread, there were a lot of folks who applied and were competitive stats wise that never heard a peep from PCOM.

Hopefully my experience will be different :thumbup:

Did not mean to indicate PCOM isn't a great school. It is and has many well established residency programs. However, they do certainly have a "you will cater to us we won't cater to you" mentality that can be frustrating.

Survivor DO

Would not apply again:

LECOMs (all of them): I was treated badly every time I called and then after taking Anatomy, I realized how much I really do need lecture and would probably do terrible in PBL which was the pathway I was going to sign up for.
DMU: They sent me a secondary then rejected me 2 days later...It made me upset that they only took 2 recommendation letters and would not allow me to send in a letter from my dept (I am a social science student). I simply felt that was not a fair evaluation of me as a student since I am a social science major and think my psychology professors know me better than any science professor did.
PCOM: I still haven't heard a peep from them...least they could do is spend the money to send me a rejection letter.
NYCOM: Same as above.

my fav schools this cycle:

MUCOM: hands down the best school to deal with. Organized, superior website, responsive admins. Not even a close second.
NOVA: if you get an interview, you get a mini vacation ;) good school too.
OSU: Very tight nit, warm and welcoming school. Best lunch at interview day (though MUCOM beat them with their second look weekend banquet)
AT STill SOMA: big groups, fun interview day, beautiful building. Again, on top of things.
Touro NV: They were nice and had a well run interview day...not too much down time, which is good.

Honorable mentions: PNWU, WesternU, Midwestern. Good, but not memorably good. (to me)

Didn't like- UMDNJ. as everyone else mentioned, not a word from them. But, seems like they have a lot on their plate at the moment so thats ok.
Touro CA- To be honest, its the only school I got a weird vibe from. Some students were happy, but a significant number would say, dont go here. It was weird and they should figure out why thats the case.

BUT, I would apply to each and every one of them again. Why? because an acceptance anywhere is better than an acceptance no where. If you have a choice, then you can get picky.

MSUCOM - enjoyed the open house and the second look (on wait list)
RVUCOM - enjoyed interview day (accepted)
CUSOM - enjoyed interview day (on wait list)

I would apply to all three schools all over again. The admissions offices always answered my questions in a very short time, usually the very same day if not the very next day. All the people I met at all three schools were friendly.

I was limited to three schools by the fee assistance program offered by AACOMAS. If I did it all over I would add a couple of the other well liked schools because I have heard really good things about some of the school. It would have been nice to see a couple more schools.

Last edited:
TouroNY - Silent Rejection
-The only school that didn't send me a Secondary... got silence.
-Didn't hear from them for many months until they sent me a random email about a change in Administration so I'm like "Ok this is my shot!" ...so I emailed a letter of interest.
-I then got a nasty email stating that I should never contact this email address... but you contacted me from that address, Touro.

I heard nothing at first, and I saw that email too. They sent one the next day describing how to send an inquiry or application status request. I submitted it literally within an hour of them sending that (I actually did it in Disney World), and got a friendly response from one of the admissions people within 2 days, and got the secondary a couple days later.

I'd imagine the whole getting a new admissions director and Sandy probably caused a delay and mix up with the process, but every interaction I had with them was friendly.I guess YMMV.

Last edited:
I heard nothing at first, and I saw that email too. They sent one the next day describing how to send an inquiry or application status request. I submitted it literally within an hour of them sending that (I actually did it in Disney World), and got a friendly response from one of the admissions people within 2 days, and got the secondary a couple days later. I guess YMMV.

Nice, we probably had different emails though. The one I got was in response to me initiating contact with them. I was already 5 interviews in at that point, so I left them alone after that. Glad things worked out for you :thumbup:

Nice, we probably had different emails though. The one I got was in response to me initiating contact with them. I was already 5 interviews in at that point, so I left them alone after that. Glad things worked out for you :thumbup:

I guess it was a different email. My first inquiry was that one after Mr. Ruiz's first email. I think everyone probably has issues at some school.

MUCOM: hands down the best school to deal with. Organized, superior website, responsive admins. Not even a close second.
NOVA: if you get an interview, you get a mini vacation ;) good school too.
OSU: Very tight nit, warm and welcoming school. Best lunch at interview day (though MUCOM beat them with their second look weekend banquet)
AT STill SOMA: big groups, fun interview day, beautiful building. Again, on top of things.
Touro NV: They were nice and had a well run interview day...not too much down time, which is good.

Honorable mentions: PNWU, WesternU, Midwestern. Good, but not memorably good. (to me)

Didn't like- UMDNJ. as everyone else mentioned, not a word from them. But, seems like they have a lot on their plate at the moment so thats ok.
Touro CA- To be honest, its the only school I got a weird vibe from. Some students were happy, but a significant number would say, dont go here. It was weird and they should figure out why thats the case.

BUT, I would apply to each and every one of them again. Why? because an acceptance anywhere is better than an acceptance no where. If you have a choice, then you can get picky.

I couldn't agree more :thumbup:

would NOT:
CUSOM - Rejected Post-Interview
-On the tour they mentioned that this was their "New & Improved" interview process... for a 1st year school? The only reason they are still giving out interviews is to improve their overall interview process for subsequent years.
-blew $800 bucks in flight, hotel and rental car fees to be a guinea pig (I have no one to blame but myself for this. I applied late)
-They are definitely competing with Marian and ACOM to see who will be "top dog" of the 3 new schools. Some of their staff are the elite from high ranking med schools. Your stats better be competitive if you apply here.

When did you apply/interview? I also applied late and interviewed late (first week of March). However, my experience was very different with them. I was waitlisted and accepted 6 days later. And I would hardly say my stats were super competitive. I loved CUSOM. I'm having a very difficult time in choosing between them and VCOM-CC.

It is interesting to see that some of the schools have the same reputation across the board, but I would also like to mention that finding the right fit for you is the most important thing. As Vybz and I can show, two people can have totally different experiences at the exact same school. A top choice for one applicant may be a school that another won't ever consider applying to. I think applying early and applying broadly are so important. Apply with an open mind and work your tail off to be the best applicant. And when interviews start to come, go with your heart and the place you feel most at home and that can provide you with a solid medical education.

When did you apply/interview? I also applied late and interviewed late (first week of March). However, my experience was very different with them. I was waitlisted and accepted 6 days later. And I would hardly say my stats were super competitive. I loved CUSOM. I'm having a very difficult time in choosing between them and VCOM-CC.

It is interesting to see that some of the schools have the same reputation across the board, but I would also like to mention that finding the right fit for you is the most important thing. As Vybz and I can show, two people can have totally different experiences at the exact same school. A top choice for one applicant may be a school that another won't ever consider applying to. I think applying early and applying broadly are so important. Apply with an open mind and work your tail off to be the best applicant. And when interviews start to come, go with your heart and the place you feel most at home and that can provide you with a solid medical education.

My experience at CUSOM was very much like yours with the exception that I'm still on the wait list.

You are right about people having various experiences.

I honestly liked the group interview (LECOM-E though). I think it really gave you the opportunity to talk about aspects of healthcare that you are interested in, and what from your life influenced that interest. In addition, you got a chance to talk a lot with other interviewees and get to know them better. Personally I felt comfortable with everyone in my group. It doesn't really give you time to talk about yourself in terms of running down your CV, but I think you could easily work experiences into the conversation.

Obviously YMMV.

I agree. I liked the LECOM interview, but that's coming from someone who does alright in group settings. If you are a more reserved person or someone who hates speaking in front of people I could see why they would hate it. The two times I tried to contact someone in admissions I got through either by phone or email, but I know many people didn't have any luck getting through to them.

AZCOM and UNECOM were both very responsive when I called them to talk about my application. Of course I still haven't heard a final decision from them while being on their interview waitlist, but I have a spot at LECOM so whatever.

So you would not apply to a school based on their admission employees not answering your questions? Maybe they are receiving a lot of emails, questions.

Just doesn't sound like a good reason not to apply to a school.

would NOT:

KCUMB - Waitlisted Post-Interview
-Hard Interview (I've had 10+ interviews, MD & DO, all were smooth except here. Interviewers stared me down, psyched me out... etc.)
-Mandatory Attendance... on the tour I saw MS1's and MS2's passed out in class
-Nice campus, but surrounding area is ghetto.
-Fenced campus, fenced student living area w/ extra apartments leased out to Police Officers.
-Definitely some sort of cultural divide between the older (staff) and younger (students).
-very diverse America, very diverse Missouri, very diverse Kansas City, very NON-diverse KCUMB.
I had the complete opposite experience. My interview at KCUMB was awesome. Dr. Cox I presume?

I would highly recommend people visit this school as well to create their own opinions of the area/staff.

OSU: Very tight nit, warm and welcoming school. Best lunch at interview day (though MUCOM beat them with their second look weekend banquet).

Didn't know you interviewed there. Agreed that lunch was bomb. brb seconds on desert. Did you end up deciding on Marian?

Would not-
LECOM-B- I felt like they had already made their decision prior to the interview. They might as well not even have one. I'm a good group interview person and got accepted, but that was just the feel I got from them.
NYCOM-No response whatsoever from them. If I spend money sending in my secondary, the least they can do is send me an email or letter saying they're not interested.

Would-
CCOM, KCOM, MUCOM, KYCOM, Nova

Would NOT apply:
-Touro NY - Spent a lot of time and effort in the secondary and paid the $200, and then never heard a word back; following up with them was a joke
-Touro CA - Took way too long to get the secondary
-WCUCOM - Got an II, but after hearing the issues they had this year, I withdrew; wouldn't have applied knowing some of the issues they have
-PCOM-GA - Thought I'd get some love being from SC and going to undergrad close to GA; got the same generic automated response and then never heard a peep

That's about it... I hounded several admissions people from several schools. Some were more friendly than others, but nothing TOO terrible to report.

Would NOT apply:
-Touro NY - Spent a lot of time and effort in the secondary and paid the $200, and then never heard a word back; following up with them was a joke
-Touro CA - Took way too long to get the secondary
-WCUCOM - Got an II, but after hearing the issues they had this year, I withdrew; wouldn't have applied knowing some of the issues they have
-PCOM-GA - Thought I'd get some love being from SC and going to undergrad close to GA; got the same generic automated response and then never heard a peep

That's about it... I hounded several admissions people from several schools. Some were more friendly than others, but nothing TOO terrible to report.

What are you referring to here? Did I miss something?

What are you referring to here? Did I miss something?
They had issues this year with the administration (two professors who got fired abruptly). Check out the school specific thread for more information. I spoke with a current student there who also advised me to try to go elsewhere.

Didn't know you interviewed there. Agreed that lunch was bomb. brb seconds on desert. Did you end up deciding on Marian?

Yeah, I loved the school and how nice the students were. And the lunch. So good.

But, yes, I have decided to attend MUCOM. :thumbup:

If we're talking strictly about dealing with Admissions...

Wouldn't bother again: PCOM/PCOM-GA is my #1 (and really, only) offender. Sent a pleasant e-mail asking about my status (long after 2 months) and they gave me a curt, unsigned, unaddressed reply that said they don't offer updates. Sorry, your admissions department is part of the representation your school gets to prospective students. I'm sure this is a great school, but this left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I had the same experience. Now I kinda wish I would have called, but I also had just finished interviewing at WVSOM, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

My biggest issue was my letters were late and I really wish I would have been more persistent with my adviser about them. Since WVSOM doesn't require letters until they interview, they basically were weeks ahead of all the other schools and by the time my application was complete everywhere else, I was already accepted to my top school, so basically I wasted a good $500+ applying to schools who barely saw my application. I never sent in the secondary for Touro because I wasn't paying $200. Marian didn't even send me a secondary until after I had the interview invite for WVSOM. PCOM apparently didn't even look at my application before I withdrew. VCOM was swamped by the time my letters were in. LECOM didn't like me at all, B put me on pre-interview hold and Erie wait-listed me. ACOM did send me an interview invite, but it was in January and I apparently forgot to email them to withdraw my app. LMU-DCOM called me for an interview like a week after I got accepted to WVSOM and I had to turn them down.