Schools which offer a "complete experience"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have a 3.8/38 and research experience then you can go where you please and there are many schools that can provide what you are looking for. If you have an academic record that is not as impressive (<3.5/<30) or are lacking research experience, you should be looking to get into any school that will make it possible for you to come out the other end with an MD and the skills you need for an internship and passing of the licensure exam. If you are in between, you might have a shot at a school that fits your criteria but it will be more of a crap shoot as you try to catch the attention of adcoms at schools that fit your criteria.

If you have a 3.8/38 and research experience then you can go where you please and there are many schools that can provide what you are looking for. If you have an academic record that is not as impressive (<3.5/<30) or are lacking research experience, you should be looking to get into any school that will make it possible for you to come out the other end with an MD and the skills you need for an internship and passing of the licensure exam. If you are in between, you might have a shot at a school that fits your criteria but it will be more of a crap shoot as you try to catch the attention of adcoms at schools that fit your criteria.

Some schools like to use more buzz words than other, but basically you can get the "complete experience" at all/most schools. In the end, the particular feel that will work best for you will be very subjective. Go to as many interviews as you can afford and if you get multiple acceptances I strongly urge you to choose based on fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "complete experience" is what you make out of it.

'

Last edited:
'

Last edited:
The "complete experience" is what you make out of it.

I agree.

That said, UVA has one of the best SIM centers in the country, has a brand new medical education building designed to fit a brand new curriculum where students are much more engaged in their learning and research is a pretty common thing. There are many global health initiatives, and some of our professors are amazing. And unlike Colorado and Washington, which have some similarly amazing programs (in my opinion), if you're out of state, you have a pretty decent shot of getting in here.

Now that I've put in the plug for my school, I'm gonna get back to studying now.

^I agree, however, some places actually motivated their students to do more and work harderd, whereas other schools just take your tuition, throw together some basic powerpoint slides - read aloud by faculty who doesn't look like they want to be there, and expect you to do it on your own

Many of the things that really wow you before you get to the school turn out being of only minimal, if any, educational benefit (surgical skills lab, upgraded anatomy labs). Nearly every school I interviewed at or have friends at does mission trips, volunteers in the community and wants their grads to be great. BTW, your tuition money really doesn't go towards things like mission trips usually. Where I am, they have fundraisers and what not to get supplies for each trip, but the students still pay for the flight and what not out of their own money usually. Sometimes it is subsidized, but that just depends.

There are also scholarships and opportunities that EVERY medical student in the US is eligble for through the UN/WHO/Saving starving orphans and kittens organization.

You can be as active or inactive at a school as you choose. I hardly go to a prestigious school, but every friggin weekend we have trips to migrant worker camps, health fairs, working with homeless/underserved, research, marathons being ran for cancer awareness, etc.