Schools with a Reasonable Chance of Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are no safe schools. There are just too many applicants for any of us to assume that we have a safety school.

Someone listed Vermont as a safety. Vermont has lower stats, but they are not a safe school. They have a small class, take lots of Vermont residents and ten other seats go to Maine. So, there are only a few seats left at Vermont. Don't let numbers mislead you.

BU is far from being safe. They get like 10,000 applicants. Your chances of getting in there are slim.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with LP1CW. A better metric would be 'average stats for students without in-state preference' in the case of Vermont, or 'average stats for students who matriculated through traditional admissions process' for BU. When a school publishes its stats, I believe that are required to list averages from the entire incoming class which includes those in special integrated med programs like at BU and other schools. Often times, these students need only maintain a 3.0 - 3.2 gpa and get a 28+ on the mcat.

I doubt any of the schools publish this kind of information.

Originally posted by kingcer0x
I agree with LP1CW. A better metric would be 'average stats for students without in-state preference' in the case of Vermont, or 'average stats for students who matriculated through traditional admissions process' for BU. When a school publishes its stats, I believe that are required to list averages from the entire incoming class which includes those in special integrated med programs like at BU and other schools. Often times, these students need only maintain a 3.0 - 3.2 gpa and get a 28+ on the mcat.

I doubt any of the schools publish this kind of information.

I know of no such list. If you can find it, send me a link and I'll factor all that fun stuff in ... as of now I'm goin on what I have and I don't have that. Good idea though.

I know there are no *safe schools*. This is not supposed to be a list of *safety schools* and this list is not geared towards students looking for safety schools. Wrong group of students. This is just a list of places where a reasonable student has a reasonable chance. I should make that clear though, good point.

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I am curious. Are there any schools that have a reputation for emphasising high numbers (high GPA, high MCAT) and not focusing on things like EC, research, and life experiences?

Originally posted by Eraserhead
i thought a year ago that ohio state would be a safety school, but i didn't even get an interview.

yeah OSU has been really going for numbers lately :(

Although I like your list Coop, I think you should put some brackets next to UIC and put VERY high for out-of-staters. When I applied there, I had no idea of the HUGE cost to out-of-staters. Granted I should have researched it better, but I didn't. I wouldn't want people to make the same mistake as I did. I know someone said, who cares about the cost as long as you get in, but $60000 per year is way too much and you may have huge troubles paying back your loans when you get out.

temple. if they took me ...