Science Course at CC: Not A Pre-Req.

Starlightembers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
'ello everyone,

I know this gets discussed quite a bit; however, I'd like to make sure before I spend the money.

I don't plan on taking any pre-req. courses at a CC; however, this Fall I will be in dual-enrollment (well, not exactly - I'm homeschooling myself and, as such, have a flexible schedule and the local CC is letting me take classes - nonetheless, I'll be in high school) and I would like to take some Biology course. I'm considering Human Biology. Is it OK to take this at a Community College? It is not offered at the college I plan on going to, either.

Thank you.

Erika

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a problem at all, and taking pre-reqs at a CC is not inherently a problem, so long as you take some upper level classes at a 4 year.

It's not a problem at all, and taking pre-reqs at a CC is not inherently a problem, so long as you take some upper level classes at a 4 year.

Thank you, serenade. I will go ahead and register for it then.

As for pre-req. courses, though I know that there are ways to supplement them (taking upper-level courses), as a non-science major, the amount of higher level science courses I will be taking will be rather limited. Thus, I want to be extremely careful as to what I take at CC.

Thank you again.

Erika
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11469128#

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, serenade. I will go ahead and register for it then.

As for pre-req. courses, though I know that there are ways to supplement them (taking upper-level courses), as a non-science major, the amount of higher level science courses I will be taking will be rather limited. Thus, I want to be extremely careful as to what I take at CC.

Thank you again.

Erika

Well, just don't feel like you can't take one or two prereqs like Math, English, intro biology, or even an A&P course which you might not be able to fit in at the 4 year.

If you don't mind, what sort of college are you going to that doesn't offer human biology? I am just wondering if it might be difficult to take upper-level biology classes there if it doesn't offer Bio 101.

If you don't mind, what sort of college are you going to that doesn't offer human biology? I am just wondering if it might be difficult to take upper-level biology classes there if it doesn't offer Bio 101.

Biology 101 is different than Human Biology. Human Biology, for the most part, is a science elective for non-majors. Biology 101 is certainly offered at this college I plan to attend, in addition to numerous upper division courses. They also have quite a few interesting electives - Biology of Infectious and Noninfectious Disease, for example.

'ello everyone,

I know this gets discussed quite a bit; however, I'd like to make sure before I spend the money.

I don't plan on taking any pre-req. courses at a CC; however, this Fall I will be in dual-enrollment (well, not exactly - I'm homeschooling myself and, as such, have a flexible schedule and the local CC is letting me take classes - nonetheless, I'll be in high school) and I would like to take some Biology course. I'm considering Human Biology. Is it OK to take this at a Community College? It is not offered at the college I plan on going to, either.

Thank you.

Erika

I was a dual credit student and took most of my prereqs at a CC. Your fine taking any science class at a CC, but now i transferred and I'm a Neuroscience major so i have time to make up for upper-level science courses this coming fall/spring.
you can msg me for details if needed since I've been in your footsteps.

good luck!

Took some of my courses that route, and it wasn't a problem. I wasn't a science major until my last year of college, and I was still able to take a few upper division courses with a humanities major. Majors thankfully don't require so many courses that you can't take electives :) You might even be able to take some of your major courses as dual enrollment...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies; I went ahead and signed up for it (in addition to Composition 1/English 101, Intro To The Art of Reasoning, History of World Civilizations from 1700, and History and Systems of Psychology/Some 300-level Psych course and I'm thinking of adding another, plus AP US Government taken online). Fortunately, I won't be taking classes at the CC for any length of time - just one semester and then I'll be in college in January (quite a long story; but I'm leaving for a top-ranked, private liberal arts college up in MA before receiving my diploma or GED).

Lil Mick: That's good to hear! There are quite a few Upper Division Science courses I want to take. I just don't want to actually major in it. Glad to hear it is quite doable.

As I said, thanks again~

Are you going to a little school back in Boston?
Haha. I wish. Sadly, no - not quite that high ranked.

In fact, though the school can stand high on its own - and does - much of our regard comes from the college that owns/is affiliated with/designed us back in NY and that most of us transfer to. All of this likely sounds rather strange; but it is really hard to explain without disclosing the college and program.

...Well, actually, I doubt anyone in 3 - 4 years is going to look back on my posts here. So if you want to know (if you don't, move on): The college is Bard College at Simon's Rock (for those who don't know, Bard is this small liberal arts college in the Hudson Valley, NY that has lots of fancy connections and very fancy endowments - and very high tuition) which, though technically a part of Bard, was designed specifically to accept high school students after their sophomore or junior year. They have both an AA and BA program. Most students transfer out to get their BA (lots of reasons - most students I have talked to get tired of living on a campus with <=400 students in all four classes). I'm 15. I'll be going in the middle of my Sophomore year.

Haha. I wish. Sadly, no - not quite that high ranked.

In fact, though the school can stand high on its own - and does - much of our regard comes from the college that owns/is affiliated with/designed us back in NY and that most of us transfer to. All of this likely sounds rather strange; but it is really hard to explain without disclosing the college and program.

...Well, actually, I doubt anyone in 3 - 4 years is going to look back on my posts here. So if you want to know (if you don't, move on): The college is Bard College at Simon's Rock (for those who don't know, Bard is this small liberal arts college in the Hudson Valley, NY that has lots of fancy connections and very fancy endowments - and very high tuition) which, though technically a part of Bard, was designed specifically to accept high school students after their sophomore or junior year. They have both an AA and BA program. Most students transfer out to get their BA (lots of reasons - most students I have talked to get tired of living on a campus with <=400 students in all four classes). I'm 15. I'll be going in the middle of my Sophomore year.

Ha. Don't worry, I still respect you even if you aren't transferring to Hahvad.

Edit: Sorry, I think I rambled on too much without directly answering your original question. Yes, it's perfectly fine to take that course at a CC, if that's what you want. [enter subjective blah blah blah below:]

I honestly wouldn't bother with those science courses for non-majors (caveat: go for it if you feel you can't handle general bio). I think a pre-req course would help you more now in the long run; even a basic course like your first english or math course would be more useful overall.

I took microbio, A&P, and gen chem at a CC, all very useful and accepted and transferred. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take extraneous courses that may never be applied to anything in the future (I'm not talking about something broad like your GPA), it's a waste of time and money. So unless that human biology course will somehow fit into a major/minor, act a pre-req for a higher level bio course, etc, I would go for something else.

In looking at a random CC in Boston, I see that A&P has a pre-req of either Human Biology or General Biology. So logically you'd go with General Biology to knock out a major pre-req while also definitely opening doors to higher level courses (as well as gen bio 2 and them chemistries).