Science Courses Beyond Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychyogi

Reaction score
I'm an undergrad psychology major and taking Pre-Med classes as well. I'm aware that required courses are two semesters of general chemistry with lab, two semesters of organic chemistry with lab, one semester of biochemistry, and one year of introductory biology (particularly cell/molecular biology) with lab, as well as two semesters of physics.

I am subsequently minoring in biology, which includes these courses plus Evolution/Ecology. What other science courses should I take to increase my chances for admission to Med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an undergrad psychology major and taking Pre-Med classes as well. I'm aware that required courses are two semesters of general chemistry with lab, two semesters of organic chemistry with lab, one semester of biochemistry, and one year of introductory biology (particularly cell/molecular biology) with lab, as well as two semesters of physics.

I am subsequently minoring in biology, which includes these courses plus Evolution/Ecology. What other science courses should I take to increase my chances for admission to Med school?
Some schools require/recommend additional upper-level science classes. Good choices are Physiology and Genetics. A Stats course is also helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how much a role your choice of upper level bio classes will play in med school admissions, however I really enjoyed parasitology, immunology, endocrinology, and histology. I feel good about having taken those because a) even though I don't remember a ton, when they come up in med school it won't be the first time I've seen these topics and b) I'm nerdy and was super excited to explore these topics in much more depth than what is offered in general bio/physiology.

Biochemistry (I recommend the most rigorous version available at your undergrad), genetics, and physiology are all great to have under your belt for the MCAT, and you should definitely check out any additional requirements for specific schools of interest. Consider microbiology as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What other science courses should I take to increase my chances for admission to Med school?

honestly skip all that and just have mommy and daddy make a big donation in your name. what i did!

courses like more biochem, molecular bio, genetics, physiology and instrumental analysis may help you on the mcat. I don't think your course choice is going to affect your admissions directly as long as it doesn't look like you had an "easy" undergrad course load.

Won't help in terms of admissions (unless you do well and get a strong LOR, of course) -- but I thought biochem, physiology, and immunology were very helpful in terms of preparing me for med school. Other courses I think would be helpful are genetics, microbio, cell, & molecular bio.

I was a psych major and found many of my courses were listed under AMCAS as upper level science courses. Courses such as cognition and cognitive neuropsychology are examples.

Take the courses you find interesting and will actually want to study. Do it for you. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 users