Science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premedengineeer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a third year biomedical engineering major. My science gpa is 3.33, cgpa is 3.51 & engineering gpa is 3.78. As such AAMC doesnt consider engineering classes as science classes should I take more biology classes to raise my science gpa? Or should I just work on MCAT and ECs? And I would have about 3 semesters of co-op experience in the industry would that do me any good on my med school application? Also I am working on being a STNA? Would it help to get a job as a STNA?
 
I am a third year biomedical engineering major. My science gpa is 3.33, cgpa is 3.51 & engineering gpa is 3.78. As such AAMC doesnt consider engineering classes as science classes should I take more biology classes to raise my science gpa? Or should I just work on MCAT and ECs? And I would have about 3 semesters of co-op experience in the industry would that do me any good on my med school application? Also I am working on being a STNA? Would it help to get a job as a STNA?

Some engineering classes might count... it depends on the course. But basically, if you can take more science classes to boost your 3.33 sGPA, you should definitely do it. You might still be fine if everything else checks out, but anything under a 3.5 is on the low side and will probably hurt you.
 
Also I am 4 classes away from getting a second major in math should I do it as that puts me at a risk of lowering my gpa even more if I dont get A's

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you recommend retaking the first year bio class again? I.had a C+ in there

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

At the undergrad I went to you couldn't retake a course unless you had a D+ or lower. Retaking biology would definitely help you with DO schools since they do grade replacement. It probably doesn't matter what you take, just as long as you get A's and you can boost your sGPA.

Also make sure you do a thorough review of biology before taking the MCAT.
 
Also I am 4 classes away from getting a second major in math should I do it as that puts me at a risk of lowering my gpa even more if I dont get A's

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Anything will hurt you if you don't get A's, or at least that's how you should look at it. Just focus on getting A's, that should be your priority at this point.
 
Sidenote, but DO schools do count engineering classes towards ur science gpa so I would suggest applying to both DO and MD schools
They also don't count math in ur scigpa which is what I am assuming is bringing ur scigpa down
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
Sidenote, but DO schools do count engineering classes towards ur science gpa so I would suggest applying to both DO and MD schools
They also don't count math in ur scigpa which is what I am assuming is bringing ur scigpa down
Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Not sure if this comment was about MD or DO schools, but AMCAS definitely counts math classes toward your sGPA.
 
Also I am 4 classes away from getting a second major in math should I do it as that puts me at a risk of lowering my gpa even more if I dont get A's

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

forget the second major in Math if you think you won't get A's. Yes, I do think you should take more BCMP classes that you'll get A's in. I'm guessing that you're going to take a Glide Year so that your senior grades will increase your GPA?
 
Last edited:
Pretty much. I might end up taking intro to stats and stupid classes like that to incre my science gpa

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile
 
It is so important/stressful to keep your grades up. With all these science classes and research too, I can't wait to be done with undergrad so I can be in medical school and finally RELAX.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad