Science Letters of Recommendation from Engineering Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorobvious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an electrical engineering student, and I'm planning to two engineering profs and a physician write letters for me. I am hoping to count my engineering letters as "science" letters for schools that require two letters from science faculty because these two professors know me much better than any of my science professors.

I was wondering if anyone else has had experience doing this? Did all of the schools you applied to accept engineering letters as science letters? Does anyone know of any schools that for sure will NOT take them?

I called Vanderbilt today and they said that " I guess it's ok, since it's engineering." Should I call the rest of the schools I'm applying to, just be safe?

The feeling that I get from this thread is that it should be OK: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125163

Members don't see this ad.

I would ****ing hope so.

I had a similar experience while applying. I used a computer science professor as a science professor, and I remember NYMC that I could not use it to fulfill the science LOR.

To be safe, call every school that you are serious about attending. Make sure you call early as well, don't wait too long after your secondaries are sent. Who knows, it might even generate a little interest in your file if you call in.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i used my engr letters and they were fine... engr is pretty much applied physics, math, chem depending on the major so it would not make any sense at all if they didnt count as science, i interviewed at ucla and i sent in engr as science letters, i also go an interview at nymc, i sent in an engr letter there but i am not sure if i sent the chemistry letter too?

how do you like electrical engineering?

i used my engr letters and they were fine... engr is pretty much applied physics, math, chem depending on the major so it would not make any sense at all if they didnt count as science, i interviewed at ucla and i sent in engr as science letters, i also go an interview at nymc, i sent in an engr letter there but i am not sure if i sent the chemistry letter too?

I wouldn't want to attend a school that does not understand that electrical engineering is a science!

I know the premed advising at my school counts engineering as a "science" for getting letters from science professors so I would hope that schools would do the same.

well, i obviously don't like it enough to do it as a career ;)

i used to love it. i've had several EE internships, and for a while i was seriously considering grad school and research EE/BME. but i think i just got sick of staring at computers and programming all day. i'd rather be working with people and making a real difference in someone's life. it was a really big change for me though, becuase i didn't decide until the end of my junior year, and i hadn't taken any bio or orgo. but i got most of that out of the way last year, and im going to do a 5th year of undergrad to finish things up.

what was your major? any opinions/advice on applying as an engineer?

most schools will accept engineering as a science. usually the tech-savvy schools (umich comes to mind) are cool with it.

some schools may be anal and specifically want a LOR from a prof in BCPM only and not engineering.

it would be best to at least have one from a BCPM and another from an engineering if it's like BME or ChemE.

i hope so! i'm using one of my engineering professors, too. i'm in biomedical engineering, but my health professions office/committee were pushing me to get "real" life science recs.