1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Science Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by EK601, Aug 4, 2011.

1. EK601

I am currently filling out my secondaries and notice that many schools require a committee letter OR 2 science recs and 1 non science rec. Example, Emory:

I will have a committee packet. However, this packet contains only one science recommendation (and several non science ones). Should I bother applying to schools such as these or focus instead on schools that only require one.

I know that technically the wording implies I do not need 2 science recommendations with the packet, but I am just wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot if I apply with only one.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. demh23fan

Removed

Pre-Medical
    If you want to apply to the schools that require two science recommendations then you ought to have two to apply. I think you should demonstrate your ability to follow simple instructions and get two if you plan on applying to the schools that require. If you are only able to obtain one, then you should apply to the schools that require only one science recommendation.

4. ponyo

ponyo 人魚姫
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dude you didn't read the requirement... It says 2 sci 1 nonsci OR a committee letter.

My school's packet requires only 1 science and since you can't really send a packet AND another letter, most applicants from my school end up with only 1 letter from a science prof (particularly because nobody wants to waste a slot on another science academic letter). Note that this isn't counting research PIs/bosses in science. We do pretty well in med school apps so I think you'd be fine.

5. EK601

Thanks.

A call to Loyola (who has the same requirement) seemed to suggest, as you have said, that one science recommendation in a committee packet is ok.

The temple website, however, suggests that you need two, even if as part of a committee packet. However, the app allows you to explain why you couldn't get two if you only have one.

6. chronicidal

chronicidal Scrub
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    #5 chronicidal, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  7. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

:thumbup::thumbup: