Science Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EK601

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently filling out my secondaries and notice that many schools require a committee letter OR 2 science recs and 1 non science rec. Example, Emory:

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION

If possible, all letters of recommendation for Emory medical school applicants should be sent directly to AMCAS (instructions for submitting letters to AMCAS are provided within the AMCAS application).

Applicants must submit one of the following:

Letters and/or composite letter of recommendation from a Pre-Health advisor or Committee; OR,
Three letters of recommendation from individual letters writers (two of which must be written by individuals who work in the sciences).

I will have a committee packet. However, this packet contains only one science recommendation (and several non science ones). Should I bother applying to schools such as these or focus instead on schools that only require one.

I know that technically the wording implies I do not need 2 science recommendations with the packet, but I am just wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot if I apply with only one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently filling out my secondaries and notice that many schools require a committee letter OR 2 science recs and 1 non science rec. Example, Emory:

I will have a committee packet. However, this packet contains only one science recommendation (and several non science ones). Should I bother applying to schools such as these or focus instead on schools that only require one.

I know that technically the wording implies I do not need 2 science recommendations with the packet, but I am just wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot if I apply with only one.

Thanks!

If you want to apply to the schools that require two science recommendations then you ought to have two to apply. I think you should demonstrate your ability to follow simple instructions and get two if you plan on applying to the schools that require. If you are only able to obtain one, then you should apply to the schools that require only one science recommendation.

If you want to apply to the schools that require two science recommendations then you ought to have two to apply. I think you should demonstrate your ability to follow simple instructions and get two if you plan on applying to the schools that require. If you are only able to obtain one, then you should apply to the schools that require only one science recommendation.

dude you didn't read the requirement... It says 2 sci 1 nonsci OR a committee letter.

My school's packet requires only 1 science and since you can't really send a packet AND another letter, most applicants from my school end up with only 1 letter from a science prof (particularly because nobody wants to waste a slot on another science academic letter). Note that this isn't counting research PIs/bosses in science. We do pretty well in med school apps so I think you'd be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

A call to Loyola (who has the same requirement) seemed to suggest, as you have said, that one science recommendation in a committee packet is ok.

The temple website, however, suggests that you need two, even if as part of a committee packet. However, the app allows you to explain why you couldn't get two if you only have one.

dude you didn't read the requirement... It says 2 sci 1 nonsci OR a committee letter.

My school's packet requires only 1 science and since you can't really send a packet AND another letter, most applicants from my school end up with only 1 letter from a science prof (particularly because nobody wants to waste a slot on another science academic letter). Note that this isn't counting research PIs/bosses in science. We do pretty well in med school apps so I think you'd be fine.

:thumbup::thumbup: