Science LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenlike

I'll see you in health.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a professor of computer science count as a science professor for the purpose of an LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes to this question. I will be getting lor for my sciences and one of my letters will be from one of my engineering profs.

I would say yes to this question...

And I would say no. I counted my CS letter as non-science, and got the rest of my letters from microbiology profs. You'll want to check with your schools of interest, but science LORs are supposed to represent your aptitude for biomedical science. If CS aptitude indicated biomed aptitude, I'd be in at Harvard.

I don't think AACOMAS categorization mandates anything, but CS is counted as math which is not counted as science. Engineering counts as "other science."

Members don't see this ad :)
And I would say no. I counted my CS letter as non-science, and got the rest of my letters from microbiology profs. You'll want to check with your schools of interest, but science LORs are supposed to represent your aptitude for biomedical science. If CS aptitude indicated biomed aptitude, I'd be in at Harvard.

I don't think AACOMAS categorization mandates anything, but CS is counted as math which is not counted as science. Engineering counts as "other science."

I agree. In fact, some schools specifically say "hard sciences" for your lors.

Definitely check with the schools you will be applying to, but in general I remember the applications saying "biological or physical science professor."

Definitely check with the schools you will be applying to, but in general I remember the applications saying "biological or physical science professor."

I'm a Kinesiology major, and had many professors in my dept write my LOR's for me. No school had a problem with my letters. I recieved multiple interview offers and acceptances.

I'm a Kinesiology major, and had many professors in my dept write my LOR's for me. No school had a problem with my letters. I recieved multiple interview offers and acceptances.

Sure, kinesiology is categorized as "other science." And it's both biological and physical science. Great background. I'm sure you can see how this contrasts with the OP's computer science.

no, but some schools will want letters from non-science professors so if it'll be good get it anyway.

Nope. Besides, do the adcoms want to know that you're good with computers? If its a great LOR include it as non-science, but you have to get LORs from bio or chem type profs.