Score a Fluke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatecoldplay10101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been preparing for my 2nd MCAT. I took my first one and scored a 23 (BS - 9, VR - 8, PS - 6). So, it might seem ridiculous, but I think I just got lucky...is that possible?

I studied like literally 1 day for this exam. I noticed that nearly half of my BS was Organic (3 Organic passages and a bunch of discretes). Does this mean that the curve is more lenient than it would've been on a regular exam...and that's why I scored so high on BS?

I'm also a biology major and I would equate my biology knowledge to average or slightly above average...but I absolutely suck at Organic.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Which practice test did you take?

No it's not a fluke. You got that score because you probably have a better knowledge base than you think..

The point of doing AAMC and FLs is to increase score and keep your improvements consistent. What you should take from this passage isn't the score but your strength and weaknesses. E.g. going back to your luck example: Say instead of taking AAMC 3 you took the others your score may have been lower or higher but based on lack of studying they wouldn't be as consistent some scores may be far from 23, e.g. if the test has most your strengths 29 (at 11, 10, 8) or most of your weaknesses 18 (7, 6, 5). So when you check the test make sure to see what you're weak on. Chances are the stuff you were weak on isn't that much e.g maybe just a bit of Ochem, but if they have an Ochem heavy BS that may drag your score down.