caliber38

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Hey folks I have 4 weeks before my exam and I need to gain 60 points to reach my goal. I'm using kaplan materials what do you guys think. Is this possible. I'm not aiming for an outrageously high score but I want something decent.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hey folks I have 4 weeks before my exam and I need to gain 60 points to reach my goal. I'm using kaplan materials what do you guys think. Is this possible. I'm not aiming for an outrageously high score but I want something decent.
60 points as in an NBME of 500 and you need a 560 or as in NBME Step 1 equivalent of 200 and you need a 260? If it is the latter, it is going to be REALLY tough, but anything is possible.

PenguinHead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Shoot for the moon, but even if you work your butt off, a 30-40 point increase is probably more realistic based on other people's experiences.

I'm sure someone has made a 60 point jump, but it's not likely. Good luck though.

hasha100

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I think it's doable, but you need to work you @$$ off. When i was taking the MCAT's, I didn't do well the first time and I was basically told by various people working with med school admissions that to increase MCAT score by 4 points is not very common. I was told I would need to increase my score by at least 4 points to possibly get an interview. I studied like a maniac for 2 full months and boosted my score by 8 points. Hard work does pay off.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I think it's doable, but you need to work you @$$ off. When i was taking the MCAT's, I didn't do well the first time and I was basically told by various people working with med school admissions that to increase MCAT score by 4 points is not very common. I was told I would need to increase my score by at least 4 points to possibly get an interview. I studied like a maniac for 2 full months and boosted my score by 8 points. Hard work does pay off.
I think it should also be stated that it would probably be more likely to go from a 160 to a 220 rather than a 200 to a 260, so it depends on your goals.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I think it should also be stated that it would probably be more likely to go from a 160 to a 220 rather than a 200 to a 260, so it depends on your goals.
yeah that's exactly what I told the OP when he/she posted the same question on valuemd. He/she never did say what they're trying to achieve.

but 60 points is a huge jump even if you're going from 160 to 220. But I guess it also depends on how much you've been studying. If you've been only studying a couple of weeks and that month is like 60 or 70% of your total study time then you can have a increase like that. however, if you've already been studying for 3 months and have 1 month left then i would say no way will you be able to jump 60 points unless you were studying the wrong info before and now all of a sudden you're studying the correct material.

PenguinHead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
however, if you've already been studying for 3 months and have 1 month left then i would say no way will you be able to jump 60 points unless you were studying the wrong info before and now all of a sudden you're studying the correct material.
Up until last week, I'd been studying humoralism. Apparently, that's not well represented on the step.

I guess that's what I get for not going to class for a year.

OP
C

caliber38

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Yeah i meant going from 160 to a 220 not 200 to a 270. A 270 would be great but i know thats not gonna happen.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Up until last week, I'd been studying humoralism. Apparently, that's not well represented on the step.

I guess that's what I get for not going to class for a year.
There was a question on leeches on the last practice test I took. :D

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I thought hirudin and bilirudin (or something starting with a B and ending with a rudin) were pretty well known treatments for HIT.
Did you click the link I posted? Bad joke I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirudin

The question actually asked which of the following anticoagulants came from a recombinant source.

Lepirudin, Desirudin are two other drugs in the family you might have been thinking of.