Score plateau- please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joe7456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very discouraged. I've been doing TBR for majority of my content and practice passages and taking NS full lengths. I have a feeling I am reinforcing repititive habits and not learning how to think critically, or maybe I am lacking knowledge/content.

In the order taken and within a 2 month period;

NS 2- 500- 125/125/126/124
NS 3- 501- 126/124/125/126
NS 5- 497- 123/124/124/127
NS 4- 501- 125/123/126/127

I average about 50-60% correct on TBR material. I have all the new EK resources available except their full lengths.

My schedule day is wake up 10/11AM do 3 CARS passages, spend an hour reviewing them, read for few hours on content then do passages on it from TBR. Then finally review those passages and jot down a sentence on the content missed. I work on weekends and don't get much done, and so during the week I spend 8-10 hours a day attempting to read and do passages basically. Definitely feel lack of motivation during the day and have trouble focusing, and often doze off or day dream. I am about 75% done with content review.

I feel like I have developed some bad habits. I feel like I keep reinforcing strategies I know work, but my scores don't deviate significantly.

I humbly ask all who are understanding to please critique me. What are your thoughts on how I can improve? I have about 6 weeks until I take the exam May 18th.

Members don't see this ad.

I average about 50-60% correct on TBR material.

In general, students average about 55-60% on Phase I, 60-65% on Phase II, and 67% on Phase III. They typically average between 508-512 on their actual MCAT, so scoring where you are scoring would mean you are probably about a 504 to 506 right now.

To improve, I would suggest you make a "cheat sheet" from your memory before each FL you take (even some homework if you want) and see how much what you write down helps. If it does, then you need to work more test skills and multiple choice analysis. If what you write down is not helping, then after the test replace what you wrote with material that would have helped. On your next FL, see if that material helped. The goal here is to get a pool of useful information actively in your mind before starting each exam. What is useful will vary from test to test, but there should be some core information such as amino acid codes, pH/pKa info for AAs, sugar linkages, ATP counting, and so forth.