Score Review for Analytical Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Just wanna be a PT

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just took my GRE and scored horribly on analytical writing. I was debating on requesting a score review. HAs anyone had success by doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I just took my GRE and scored horribly on analytical writing. I was debating on requesting a score review. HAs anyone had success by doing so?

What was your score? You could try, but I doubt it would increase your score by any more than .5 or so. Those scores are determined by two graders who have to be in agreement IIRC

The ETS website says "at least one trained rater" scores an essay and their e-rater (an automated scoring system) scores it after. If both scores are close, the score you received is the average of the two. If they aren't close, a second person grades it, and the score you received is the average of the two human scores.

I haven't done a score review before, but I did use their ScoreItNow! writing service that utilizes their e-rater to grade your practice essays. 2 of my practice essays were the same score as what I received on the actual GRE and the 3rd essay was 1 point below my actual score. If you feel pretty confident that you did better than a 3, I don't think it would hurt to do a score review. But from my experience, their e-rater seems to be a decent grader of your essays, so I'm not sure if you would see a significant improvement in your score if you do go through with it.