scores different than average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsk87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been doing fairly well on my practice tests and i'm okay with the average i have now, but i've heard of people scoring significantly lower on an individual section than their average (like a 9 on PS when their average is a 13)....how often does this happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people score about their average, although some people do much better than their practice tests and some do much worse. There's just no way of knowing until you get your scores back. So just try to relax and do your best.

it all depends. i would say the best way to stay at your average all comes down to the night before. I took my test for the first time in may, at 8am. I slept in NYC, couldnt fall asleep until 4:30, woke up at 7. it was terrible. my nerves were shot and I couldnt focus on anything.

Second time around- night before i cracked open a cold one, threw a steak on the grill, watched a movie, got a good 8 hours of sleep. I felt really calm and relaxed taking the exam and walked out feeling confident. I think the last minute "preparation" really makes a difference.

yeah, you never truly know with practice tests because I know plenty of people who did 2-3 points better on the real thing but I also know people who did worse. at this point you just need to have the confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your practice tests tend to be very good indicators of how well you do on the real test. Consistency in practice tests (within +/- 1 for each section in every test) bodes well for the real thing.

Confidence is definitely an important aspect on the real test. Also certain people don't have a solid enough science background, and may be surprised by a passage that they are unfamiliar with.

In general people score within +/- 2 points from their latest practice test ranges.Once in awhile you get those who were averaging 10 points on a section and got a 7 on the real thing. These people tend to show a very late surge of improvements in that section due to studying the correct testing materials, but often they failed to cover all the basis, or did not have a strong enough grasp of the concepts. The current MCAT seem to be less focused on detail and more focused on applying concepts, and this is challenging to some test takers.

I just plan to do the damn thing.

then repeat, if necessary. I have good practice scores but you never know until you see the real one.

The first time you do it one is usually nervous, but once you lose your MCAT "virginity" I am sure you can do better if the nerves get you the first time. Just try to think to yourself that it is the MCATs first time too and you will be fine!!:love:

Just going in and doing the best you can is the best plan :D That's what I plan on doing tomorrow. But I know a few of my friends who scored a lot higher on the actual test than the practice ones just because they were concentrating. My best friend actually scored a 41 on the actual test last year (and would score around 32 on the practice tests :luck:)