Scoring System for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please clarify the scoring system :

I read on eHow that:

PCAT score ranges from 100 to 300.

Grasp the meaning of Scaled Scores. The multiple-choice subjects are scored from 200 to 600.

Your Scaled Score is combined for an unweighted average. This is your Composite Score.

Your Percentile Rank is your test results as measured against results of a norm group.

So in the grand scheme of things, does everyone use percentiles to state their score? For example, a high school student would say they got a 1200 - 600 on verbal, 600 on math (this is the older version of the SAT) , but they won't state that these scores were in the 65 and 63 percentile respectively.

Do students who take the PCAT state their scores only by percentile or by their composite score also? Couldn't a 500 out of 600 one month be in the 80th percentile, but the next month a 500 would be in the 90th?

Is this difference between the PCAT and SATs attributed to the fact that the scores on the PCAT can be more varied across the spectrum of scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please clarify the scoring system :

I read on eHow that:

PCAT score ranges from 100 to 300.

Grasp the meaning of Scaled Scores. The multiple-choice subjects are scored from 200 to 600.

Your Scaled Score is combined for an unweighted average. This is your Composite Score.

Your Percentile Rank is your test results as measured against results of a norm group.

So in the grand scheme of things, does everyone use percentiles to state their score? For example, a high school student would say they got a 1200 - 600 on verbal, 600 on math (this is the older version of the SAT) , but they won't state that these scores were in the 65 and 63 percentile respectively.

Do students who take the PCAT state their scores only by percentile or by their composite score also? Couldn't a 500 out of 600 one month be in the 80th percentile, but the next month a 500 would be in the 90th?

Is this difference between the PCAT and SATs attributed to the fact that the scores on the PCAT can be more varied across the spectrum of scores?

It is unlikely that your % rank would change that much even after more tests are administered. They use a large sample of test scores to determine % rank (first time test takers only). There is also a chance that your % score may go up a percent maybe 2. :)

I took the pcat in jan.09, and most of my scaled score ranged from 353 to 450. Can someone help me to calculate the final composite? I don't know if I should add all the SS, divide by 600, and multiply by 100? Also, on the Conv.of language I scored 3.0 and 2.0 on problem solving but i don't know if it's ok.