Scrambling for Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoebo54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

I'm currently finalizing my rank list and I have a couple programs that I interviewed at that I wouldn't want to go to. One of the programs is on probation and the other one is in camden NJ. If I take the programs off my rank list I will only have 10 ranks. I'm concerned about not matching and was wondering if anyone out there has scrambled into an anesthesia program before. I know last year there were 21 spots unfilled pgy1 spots. So the million dollar question is should I add the two programs that I don't like and risk matching at a place I hate or leave off these couple programs and risk scrambling for a spot.

Thanks for any input

I'd like to thank everyone for all the advice I've gotten on studentdoc. I woulda been lost without yall

Members don't see this ad.

H -

Congrats on being done with interviews; I think it was at this point in medical school that 4th year really started to look like the relaxing year I was promised.

My recommendation is DO NOT rank places that you know you hated. The Match is a binding contract; why would you risk contractually linking yourself to something you don't want for 4 yrs? I don't remember the numbers anymore, but the Match folks release data on how many people go below their first few ranks. It's not very many that do. And the number that Match within their top 10 ranks approaches 100%.

Easy for me to say, I realize. But how pissed would you be if you Matched a place you already knew you never wanted to go to?

Good luck with things - leave the two you hate off your list.

If you hated a place so much that you would rather take your chances trying to scramble anywhere, knowing you might not be successful and may have to take a year off and reapply, than don't rank it. If its not potentially worth a year of your life, rank it. You should be fine at 10 programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just understand that this year, the scramble will not exist. It will be the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) which will be like 8 or so mini matches done over a couple of days. There will only be a few spots (probably less than 15 nationwide, so they will be at a premium. Those unmatched will also be competing against the unmatched ortho, Radiology, etc that didn't get the specialty they wanted.
I have a feeling that the unfilled spots will probably be practically non-existent.
Historically speaking, 10 is good enough close to, but not quite, 100% of the time.
As long as you know all of that information and make an informed decision, you should be able to make your choice.

When you say 10 do you mean contiguous ranks or unique programs? Obviously 10 contiguous ranks could be 5 programs with cat/adv or 10 adv programs. To me that seems quite different, but, if I understand correctly, the Charting Outcomes is just based on ranks, right? It looks like last year nobody (us seniors) went unmatched after 11+ ranks...which really doesn't have to mean very many programs. Am I missing something?

Just understand that this year, the scramble will not exist. It will be the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) which will be like 8 or so mini matches done over a couple of days. There will only be a few spots (probably less than 15 nationwide, so they will be at a premium. Those unmatched will also be competing against the unmatched ortho, Radiology, etc that didn't get the specialty they wanted.
I have a feeling that the unfilled spots will probably be practically non-existent.
Historically speaking, 10 is good enough close to, but not quite, 100% of the time.
As long as you know all of that information and make an informed decision, you should be able to make your choice.

When you say 10 do you mean contiguous ranks or unique programs? Obviously 10 contiguous ranks could be 5 programs with cat/adv or 10 adv programs. To me that seems quite different, but, if I understand correctly, the Charting Outcomes is just based on ranks, right? It looks like last year nobody (us seniors) went unmatched after 11+ ranks...which really doesn't have to mean very many programs. Am I missing something?

no you're correct. The charting outcomes talks about contiguous ranks, not individual programs. based on the 2011 charting outcomes, 10 contiguous ranks gives you like a 97-98% chance of matching.

Yea, I had the same dilemma with a probation program and a very malignant program in NYC. I talked to a friend who pointed out that your chances of matching into your top 4 are about 87% and top #1 is about 50%, less than 12% of going at #5 or below. So I figured I would just remove those programs. Although if I keep it there, I would still have a very low chance of actually matching into that program...maybe I should put it back??? :confused:

Along those lines- I didn't think far ahead enough and picked all my prelims in one location. Now that I have to rank the advanced version of my #1(after the categorical), I'm starting to realize I'll have to rank prelims in different locations. I considered not ranking any of my prelims- to purposely scramble for a surgery prelim in the area. Of course my dean was appalled and i decided to go ahead and rank the prelims. This is only an issue bc im couples matching. But I swear on the trail many PDs said they would find you a surgery spot at their institution if you matched there and didn't match a prelim, including this one. Are PDs not able to do this anymore with SOAP?

Just wanna offer up some advice I recently received. For those of you considering leaving off some of the less desirable places in favor of the possibility of going unmatched; put some of your desirable prelim programs at the end of your PRIMARY list. This way, if you don't match into anesthesia, you will at least be employed next year and can subsequently vie for an advanced spot next year vs. risking it all in the SOAP.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm concerned about not matching and was wondering if anyone out there has scrambled into an anesthesia program before.

Just to remind you, at 10 contiguous ranks, you have > 95% chance of matching if you're a US allopathic senior. Ask yourself, are you that special that you're going to blow that? Still $hit happens. I agree about ranking prelims to help yourself out.

So yeah, it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it though. Also, with the SOAP thing they're doing this year, it'll be more of a cluster, and a long drawn out one at that.

I had good backup plans and was okay with not matching if it meant going to certain types of programs. If the scramble didn't have acceptable options, I would've walked out on that too. I'm not sure a lot of folks have the luxury, flexibility, and probably some crazy to do that. It is definitely a calculated risk, and one you don't need to take if you don't mind sacrificing a few years in BFE, or Camden in this case.

Just goina go ahead and say that night between finding out you've got to scramble and deciding that you're going to be scrambling sucks. Fortunately, there are so many great movies about redemption to inspire you. I personally used this as a peptalk before hitting up PDs for a spot:

[YOUTUBE]9rFx6OFooCs[/YOUTUBE]