Scrambling into a prelim spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Need Advice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general, how hard is it to scramble into a PG-1 spot (transitional, med or surg) after having matched a pgy-2 spot?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In general, how hard is it to scramble into a PG-1 spot (transitional, med or surg) after having matched a pgy-2 spot?

Thanks

If you match in PGY2 your chance to scramble in PGY1 position is much much higher than if you did not match anywhere.

also if you get into an advanced but not a prelim you might want to call the advanced program pd and see if he can find you a prelim or ty at one of their local programs...

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is, when you find out on March 12th that you've matched into an advanced spot but not a prelim spot, you won't know where that advanced spot is until after the scramble on March 15th.

I had to do this last year. On unmatched day (I think the 12th this year) if you match to an advanced spot but not to a PGY-1 spot, you can call the NRMP and they will tell you the city (but not the program) you have matched into for your advanced spot. Then you can scrampble for a pgy-1 spot there if you wish. Of course, if you only did one interview in that city you know where you're going!

However, from exprerience let me tell you the scramble SUCKS!! Avoid it at all costs (obviously)!

Want to stay in the midwest... shooting for residency in KS, OH, OK, WI, MN, IA, MI, etc. How many prelim year app's would be a safe bet?