Screwed up first semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

When I entered college, I was choosing between either econ or psych w/ premed

After seeing this semester's grades, econ's not for me.
I have a 3.07 GPA taking 2 econ classes, 1 psych and a required English course.

Because it's not my science GPA, if I do well in the next 7 semesters (3.8 and above) and do research, volunteering, and just other solid extracurriculars I still have a shot at some of the top med schools? (Maybe not Harvard and JHU ,but you know what I"m saying)

Thank you...i just need to reassured that it's not the end of my aspirations to be a doctor..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. I mean, you're gonna have a lot more chances to bring your overall GPA up. Everyone makes mistakes. It's those who choose to learn from them that succeed.

Aren't all these threads tiring? Some of us pre-meds are neurotic, but we're beginning to lose common sense as well.

For all the underclassmen that ask about the ramifications of one bad grade, or one poor semester, isn't the answer obvious? Do better and ace the classes for next year. If someone told you that everything would be okay, or that it was going to be problem, would that change the way you approached next term? I know it's nice to know you have some leeway, but you should be trying to do as well as possible in any case.

If you really wanted to attend medical school, one poor semester early on should not deter you from that dream, but rather motivate you to work harder. Leave the worrying to when you are deciding to apply or not as a junior/senior/graduate.

Has no one else but me ever heard of calculating your own GPA? It's not just a number that the school randomly assigns you, its a simple calculation that you can do. If you can't do it, they have websites to do it for you!

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

Play with it and see what you are looking at. If you don't like the numbers you see, then get your grades up. Estimate what your GPA will be at graduation and see how that number looks. If you still don't like it, make a plan.

Sheesh people, don't post a new thread before you've thought about what you are asking.

Has no one else but me ever heard of calculating your own GPA? It's not just a number that the school randomly assigns you, its a simple calculation that you can do. If you can't do it, they have websites to do it for you!

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

Play with it and see what you are looking at. If you don't like the numbers you see, then get your grades up. Estimate what your GPA will be at graduation and see how that number looks. If you still don't like it, make a plan.

Sheesh people, don't post a new thread before you've thought about what you are asking.

If you notice, the OP already calculated his GPA and he wanted to be reassured as to whether he can become a doctor or not from experienced people such as yourself who are already in med school.

OP, I think you can do it. There are others in MD Applicants that have around a 3.5 GPA and similar science GPA who are in med school now. Good Luck.