Scribing and research or non-clinical full time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornfed101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to just have a list of "do exactly this and get into medical school," but I know such a thing does not exist. I am finishing up a post-bac in the fall and taking A&P 2 and directed research. This research class will be the only research experience that I have. I have two job offers on the table. One is to be a scribe part-time and it pays $12 an hour. There are some intangible benefits like application prep and personal statement editing.

The second job is to be a surgery scheduler. It is $16 an hour and full time. I would not be able to do the directed research class, but it pays better (and is more hours). How important is it to have research on an application? Is having a more "clinical" job worth a $4 an hour (minus application stuff) pay difference?

As a side note: no, there are no other opportunities for research at my university. It is not a typical university (it is a chiropractic college).

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with the part time scribe if you can afford it.
In the grand scheme of things, ~$8000 is peanuts however if $12/hr part time doesn't cover the bills then the answer is easy.

I'd go with the part time scribe if you can afford it.
In the grand scheme of things, ~$8000 is peanuts however if $12/hr part time doesn't cover the bills then the answer is easy.

It will be tight, but I think we can do it... welfare is pretty good in my state ;)