Scribing and research or non-clinical full time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cornfed101

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would really like to just have a list of "do exactly this and get into medical school," but I know such a thing does not exist. I am finishing up a post-bac in the fall and taking A&P 2 and directed research. This research class will be the only research experience that I have. I have two job offers on the table. One is to be a scribe part-time and it pays $12 an hour. There are some intangible benefits like application prep and personal statement editing.

The second job is to be a surgery scheduler. It is $16 an hour and full time. I would not be able to do the directed research class, but it pays better (and is more hours). How important is it to have research on an application? Is having a more "clinical" job worth a $4 an hour (minus application stuff) pay difference?

As a side note: no, there are no other opportunities for research at my university. It is not a typical university (it is a chiropractic college).
 
I'd go with the part time scribe if you can afford it.
In the grand scheme of things, ~$8000 is peanuts however if $12/hr part time doesn't cover the bills then the answer is easy.
 
I'd go with the part time scribe if you can afford it.
In the grand scheme of things, ~$8000 is peanuts however if $12/hr part time doesn't cover the bills then the answer is easy.

It will be tight, but I think we can do it... welfare is pretty good in my state 😉