Scrub caps: yay or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it generally considered accepted for junior surgical residents to wear their own patterned scrub caps in the OR?

I've seen senior (PGY3+) surgical residents and anesthesia residents wear their own scrub caps, but rarely junior surgical residents and attendings. Is there an unspoken rule about this?

Members don't see this ad.

We don't have a "rule" about it, but not many residents of any level wear them at my program. I wore a simple, solid colored one for awhile but stopped since it was just another thing to lose.

If you haven't seen juniors wearing them, it's a safe bet that's the rule. But if you're wondering, just ask. And if for some reason you decide to test the limits without asking, I would pick something simple and not some intense, loud pattern.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wore one as a junior. Mostly because it kept my glasses from sliding down in Surgery. At the time no one else was wearing them. But I have a track record of not GAF. By the time I graduated all the female residents had their own scrub caps. You have to figure out how much you care about what people think and what works best for you. Most people would tell you to follow the current and stay below radar. I’ve never been particularly good at that.

Reactions: 2 users
Many ORs now have rules that it’s not allowed to wear home brought caps. These rules are sometimes only enforced when someone is watching, or when a nurse wants to pick on someone. Juniors are more likely to be picked on for violating policy

Reactions: 3 users
Many ORs now have rules that it’s not allowed to wear home brought caps. These rules are sometimes only enforced when someone is watching, or when a nurse wants to pick on someone. Juniors are more likely to be picked on for violating policy

This is true at my program. AORN flexed their "no data pseudo-science conjecture muscles" and banned all caps of any sort. We all wear lunch lady bouffants and have been doing so for 3 years now. Despite ACS publishing data to the contrary. Pros, it has immensely helped the acne on my forehead because now I don't sweat through my cap like I used to during long cases. Cons, I look like a lunch lady.

Reactions: 6 users
When I went to Kenya, everyone in the OR over there loved the cloth scrub caps that we'd bring as gifts emblazoned with the name of our associated University on them. They'd wear them well after we left until we brought them a new batch on our next trip. Where I trained, you had to put a bouffant cap over your cloth cap, but where I work as an attending everyone wears their own personalized cap without a cover, many with their names on it. It's nice to be able to see the name of the travel scrub/nurse who is passing me my instruments!

I agree. It is very institution dependent. Where I did intern year, I feel like we were mocked for it. At my graduating program, it was totally ok.

I stopped because I hated carrying them around and I feel like they squish my hair.

Everywhere I've worked has followed nonsense AORN rules - no home caps unless you cover with a bouffant. Currently "they" are trying to ban disposable scrub caps in favor of everyone wearing bouffants - lot's of pushback from MDs, but I'm told it'll be a permanent rule next month. Next up - everyone wears disposable (can't wear your own!) jackets to cover up that arm hair!

Really is ridiculous, you should wear whatever you want as long as your head/hair is covered. Pretty much the only place I get to show off some individuality at work.

Hierarchy for the sake of hierarchy. Everyone said that I would change my mind when I got to the top of the pyramid. Now I'm there and I still hate it. Why anyone would waste even 5 seconds caring about junior vs. senior on this is truly baffling.

I've personally always found it to be a little unprofessional. A uniform dress code for all OR staff looks the best. As far as residents wearing them, I would definitely discourage that.

well as long as the hat does not look ridiculous and is in accordance with the OR procedures it should be fine, I think. As for me this has never crossed my mind.