Scrub Top + Khaki Pants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scrub top + Khaki pants... does this bother anybody else?

I'm not sure if it's just the way it looks or the fact that those khaki pants probably get stained with blood and other human body fluids... They never used to do this at my home institution, but now that I've done some away rotations and have been browsing many residency websites, I've realized that this is something EM physicians do very often.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if it's just the way it looks or the fact that those khaki pants probably get stained with blood and other human body fluids... They never used to do this at my home institution, but now that I've done some away rotations and have been browsing many residency websites, I've realized that this is something EM physicians do very often.

I do this every day. in 21 yrs I have gotten blood on my khakis a total of twice. if walking into a trauma I put on appropriate splash proof gowns just like everyone else on the trauma team.
I don't like scrub bottoms. they feel like pajamas and have no useable pockets.

I do this every day. in 21 yrs I have gotten blood on my khakis a total of twice. if walking into a trauma I put on appropriate splash proof gowns just like everyone else on the trauma team.
I don't like scrub bottoms. they feel like pajamas and have no useable pockets.

What about the comfort and "freedom" that scrub pants afford you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I go with 'cargo' type pants. I need pockets and have yet to wear my white coat on any of my rotations so that source is gone. Besides, I need a belt to hold up my PDA/phone.

This is quite troubling.

As an EMT I've seen the ER mullet too many times. One look that I actually liked was a doc wore a polo with the EMT/Medic-pants. Comfortable, and they had enough pockets. I'm thinking that's what I'm going to end up doing.

Well, I too am a scrub top and cargo pants kinda guy. Comfortable and functional. What can I say. I can't stand wearing a white coat (they, along with ties were banned in Britain, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20821636/ for being harborers of superbugs). I need pockets that close since when I wear scrub bottoms, my wallet falls out when I sit down. I also carry my PDA and like to put my steth in my pocket, and these just dont seem to fit all too well in a single scrub bottom pocket.

One of our docs does the scrub top + khaki pants. I've always wondered what's the point of wearing nice pants with a scrub top. It's like having a case of indecisiveness. Shall I look nice, or shall I be comfortable? Let's go with both!
However, that particular doc is an extremely nice guy so I won't make fun.

KentW calls this the "ER mullet"

But thanks to this ^ I'll indulge in a quick snicker next time I see it. :laugh:

At my home institution (during residency) everyone wore cargo/scrubs, as they did during each of my away rotations. Now that i'm an attending, everyone at both hospitals I work at wear the same.. It's not a "look" that i (we're) going after, it's strictly a matter of function. Suits don't cut it (can get too bloody), scrub pants don't cut it (no usable pockets), and neither do Kacki's (which I don't really get)..

We're in a unique position in EM, in no other specialty are we expected to help manage a diabetic emergency in one room, a bloody trauma in the next, then go into another room with an anxious family of a septic newborn.. we need to move fast, and be functional at the same time. If you're worried about how we "look", maybe you're being a little too vain, and should consider another specialty where you can "dress up" a little nicer to impress your friends.

I have no problem with scrub top + khakis. If it works for you great. I draw the line at jeans or shorts. Patients frequently encounter docs with visible piercings, tatoos, veils and so on so they shouldn't have a problem with the "ER Mullet."

I wear scrub tops and either EMS pants or Aviator scrub pants. I need the pockets and I hate wite coats. Many patients tell me I look like a fire fighter which is true and irrelevant. I find the people who think the EP should be wearing a tie are the same people using the ED as a primary care clinic and also expect to be called at home with their lab results.

We're in a unique position in EM, in no other specialty are we expected to help manage a diabetic emergency in one room, a bloody trauma in the next, then go into another room with an anxious family of a septic newborn.. we need to move fast, and be functional at the same time. If you're worried about how we "look", maybe you're being a little too vain, and should consider another specialty where you can "dress up" a little nicer to impress your friends.

It's not just vain of the profession. It's also how patients perceive you. Patients prefer seeing a physician wear dress pants, shirt, tie, and a white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not just vain of the profession. It's also how patients perceive you. Patients prefer seeing a physician wear dress pants, shirt, tie, and a white coat.

Actually, there are some pretty well designed studies out there disproving this.

Does physician attire influence patient satisfaction in an outpatient obstetrics and gynecology setting?
American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Volume 196, Issue 2, Pages 186.e1-186.e5
R. Fischer, C. Hansen, R. Hunter, J. Veloski

Doctors were assigned to three groups with strict dress instructions & after a 1st time visit patients filled out a satisfaction questionare rating professionalism with a number of different questions, none of which mentioned attire. Of the 1,116 patients involved in the study, 375 were exposed to physicians in business attire, 373 to casual attire and 368 to scrub attire. There was no significant difference among groups.

I've also read a study that found patients percieved doctors in scrubs as more capable than those in a suit, but I can't find it right now.

I'll believe that if you ask a patient what he or she prefers, many will report they prefer shirt & tie or its equivalent. However, this doesn't stand up to observation.

If the patients care, they probably aren't having a real emergency, and therefore an ER doc should not be wasting their time.
I've never had an MI or trauma patient complain about what the doc was wearing...

I like the look. It's kinda rugged/hot. I've even seen attendings come in to the ED for their shift right off a bike ride, with tech-wick shirts and khakis. I think, at least at some places, it fits a certain personality.

As a woman, I don't really like the scrub top and khaki look for myself. I hate scrub tops, for one. They are ill-fitting and loose around the neckline. I love the pants, though. It always feels like I get to go to work in my pj's. Unfortunately, the t-shirt and scrub pants look has been pretty much outlawed everywhere I've rotated. Which is good... because then I essentially WOULD be wearing to work what I wear to bed.

scrub top + khaki pants is great if you are a veterinarian! :thumbup:

I wear scrub tops and either EMS pants or Aviator scrub pants. I need the pockets and I hate wite coats. Many patients tell me I look like a fire fighter which is true and irrelevant. .

Thats why god created dickies brand scrubs! the EM mullet has got 2 go.

Our institution has a mix of scrubs, the mullet (or its variations) and professional attire (ie slacks with ties, and/or business casual type stuff).

Pretty much the only black ball is jeans.

I wear professional attire unless its a weekend overnight adn then I wear scrubs. I don't need to carry a ton of stuff.... Usually just my pen, knife and 14g needle.

I have gotten bled on before, maybe once or twice, because I didn't have on my appropriate trauma gown. My clothes are not uber expensive for this reason.

I find, as a woman, it is easier for my patients to ID me as thier doctor. Argue what you will, but as a woman MD in the ED, you are a nurse, even after you have introduced yourself several times as Dr. whatever. and I don't mind being called a nurse but I think it is important for people to know they have been seen by a doctor and know who it is.

Seriously?

Wow, some uptight sphincters from some unlikely places...

At my home institution (during residency) everyone wore cargo/scrubs, as they did during each of my away rotations. Now that i'm an attending, everyone at both hospitals I work at wear the same.. It's not a "look" that i (we're) going after, it's strictly a matter of function. Suits don't cut it (can get too bloody), scrub pants don't cut it (no usable pockets), and neither do Kacki's (which I don't really get)..

I didn't know cargo pants could help you do so much in the ED... do you fit liters of fluid, intubation trays, and LP kits in those pockets? :rolleyes: I know that EM physicians work hard and move around a lot ... wouldn't wearing a complete set of scrubs help?

Wearing a scrub top along with street pants is like admitting that your clothes aren't professional looking enough and you need the scrub top to justify the rest of your attire. It's hard to know where to draw the line... I've even seen jeans and immensely baggy pants worn by residents/attendings.

Our female residents used to wear cut-off T-shirts with belly button exposure. The subsequent "dress code" pretty much eliminated that job perk.

I didn't know cargo pants could help you do so much in the ED... do you fit liters of fluid, intubation trays, and LP kits in those pockets? :rolleyes:
Gloves, lots of 'em, flashlight, reflex hammer, pens, cric kit, guiac developer, pedi wheel, Treo, wallet, keys. Not having stuff when you need it, a 10 times a day event, really slows you down. If your ED is always well stocked and stuff is there when you need it good for you.

The studies are mixed. Within our own specialty, one study didn't show a correlation with dress and professionalism/patient perception.

So you'll admit that your statement is not supported by the data?

I didn't know cargo pants could help you do so much in the ED... do you fit liters of fluid, intubation trays, and LP kits in those pockets? :rolleyes: I know that EM physicians work hard and move around a lot ... wouldn't wearing a complete set of scrubs help?

I'm still a top & bottom scrubs guy but just because I'm too lazy to go buy something else. I need pockets to carry my wallet, EMRA ABx guide and change. I hate having coinage fall out of my pocket.

Take care,
Jeff

i am putting on my mullett to go in for a shift...

I really don't get why the scrub top/cargo bottom getup bothers people or why it would seem less professional. Do you really think that scrubs make you look professional? I mean, every tech/volunteer/house keeping person in the hospital is running around in scrubs. I certainly don't know why anyone would wear business casual type stuff to the ED and I've never worked anywhere people did that but if it works for you then fine.

I think the issue that people have is that scrubs/cargos looks a lot like what the paramedics wear and physicians have a stigma about that. No doubt that cargos are more functional than scrub bottoms. I can make do with scrub bottoms but having something with pockets definitely helps.

Just my 0.15 yuan

I agree. Same thing goes with the white coats....

Yep. One of our transporters always wears a white coat. Same for our nurse supervisors. Several RTs wear them.

Pretty much meaningless if you're into status and hierarchy.

Fortunately for me, it wouldn't be at all misleading if people thought I was a paramedic because I was wearing cargos in the ED.... I am. ;)

Fortunately, none of the cargos I had when working as a paramedic fit anymore (they're too big).

Take care,
Jeff

I agree that there needs to be more professionalism for EPs. The patients have to be able to identify us as doctors. Consequently I continually refer to my self in the third person as "the doctor" in a loud baritone. I demand the same of my staff. I wear a 1 foot tall gold D on a chain around my neck and I stuff socks in my shorts so everyone can tell I'm packin' large.

Our institution has a mix of scrubs, the mullet (or its variations) and professional attire (ie slacks with ties, and/or business casual type stuff).

Pretty much the only black ball is jeans.

I wear professional attire unless its a weekend overnight adn then I wear scrubs. I don't need to carry a ton of stuff.... Usually just my pen, knife and 14g needle.

I have gotten bled on before, maybe once or twice, because I didn't have on my appropriate trauma gown. My clothes are not uber expensive for this reason.

I find, as a woman, it is easier for my patients to ID me as thier doctor. Argue what you will, but as a woman MD in the ED, you are a nurse, even after you have introduced yourself several times as Dr. whatever. and I don't mind being called a nurse but I think it is important for people to know they have been seen by a doctor and know who it is.

So yesterday, Me, two medical students are sitting around with one of the staff. All of us are guys except the staff. A drug rep comes up telling us about some new blah blah blah. Then looks at us and asks in order: (Med student one) "Oh, are you staff?" "no, I'm a 3rd year." (med student 2) "Oh, are you a resident?" "No, 4th year" (to me) "And, you are staff?" "Nope, I'm an intern" (to staff, a female, and the only one in a white coat, that says in big red letters: "So-in-so, MD) "So, you're the nurse, right?" "No, um, I'm staff."

Ridiculous.

Maan, you know, I tried that a few times and the pants stuffing just didn'nt work so well. The giant blinged out D though, it commands respect.

I agree that there needs to be more professionalism for EPs. The patients have to be able to identify us as doctors. Consequently I continually refer to my self in the third person as "the doctor" in a loud baritone. I demand the same of my staff. I wear a 1 foot tall gold D on a chain around my neck and I stuff socks in my shorts so everyone can tell I'm packin' large.
What you failed to mention is your use of a spandex suit while wearing your 'cape' (the white coat). I aspire to be like you!

Even though I introduced myself as the doctor when I saw them last night at 11p in the observation unit, I still had a family insist that they hadn't seen a doctor upon admission to obs.

Grr. I was wearing scrubs (institutional type), my pager, a badge, a spectralink phone and my stethoscope.

Grr. Why do I bother? Maybe I'll start breaking out the mullet just 'cause only a MD would wear such a combo.

What you failed to mention is your use of a spandex suit while wearing your 'cape' (the white coat). I aspire to be like you!
I wear the spandex suit under tear away scrub top and khakis. When codes or criticals come in I rip the outer layers away with great fanfare, yell "Da, da, DAAAA!" and charge into the room with my spandex suit. Bright red with golden epulets BTW. I stuff the crotch of the spandex too. It went horribly awry one time when I was doing the tear away bit but I grabbed the spandex and ripped off the whole suit without realizing it. I left the whole thing in a pile including a mass of crotch stuffing socks and bolted into the room buck naked. "Da, da, DAAAAA! I'm DocB. I'm here to save you!" I yelled. The nurses are kind of used to this type of thing happening to me so they shrugged it off. The patient didn't take it too well. I was able to get out of that one without becoming a registered sex offender though so alls well that ends well I'd say.

Oh, you changed your routine. What happened to the Mighty Mouse routine of "Da, da, Daaaa! Here I come to save the day!"
Well I do have a chorus that follows me around singing my theme song but it's not the Mighty Mouse song. It's actually "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" by Culture Club. I'm not sure why but it kind of stuck so I just go with it.

Patient: Doctor, why do you wear cowboy boots? They arent very professional looking.

Me: My golf spikes made too much noise on the tile floors and they were pretty hard on the carpet.

I think cowboy boots with scrubs is hot.

Do guys wear that outside of Texas?

I don't wear my boots with scrubs (see above posting) but I have worn them with other outfits that I wear in the ED...... they are comfy

I think cowboy boots with scrubs is hot.

Do guys wear that outside of Texas?

ummmm, no
that must be a texas thing only (thank god!):smuggrin:

maybe impractical, but still hot :)
Just as long as they aren't with jeans that come up to the nipples and are so tight they looks painted on

GOOD cowboy boots are very comfortable. I recommend these: http://www.lucchesecowboyboots.com/

I SO want a pair of black Lucchese dress boots. I was in a Cavender's the other day picking up a new pair of workboots (yes, I do wear them in the ED and with scrubs). I tried on a pair of those boots. Man, were they comfy.

Take care,
Jeff