SDN calculations NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

good_karma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am practicing the very popular 120 SDN calculations, some of the answers/solutions provided seem not to be accurate to me. I was wondering if other students out there wanna discus or even post their own solutions. Any feedback is welcome!

Problem 12:

How many ml of the Dextrose 70% in Water Injection will you add to the sterile water?

The sterile water volume is 1000ml and I don't think we should use 1015ml - anyhow that is not the main error.

Here is my solution: Please compare to the one provided and give me your feedback

10%
10g in 100ml
X? in 1000ml
X= 100g is needed

We have the 70% Dextrose
70g in 100ml
100g in Y?
Y= 142.8 ml of 70% Dextrose

Alternative 1:

70% * Y? = 10% * 1000
Y= 142.8 ml of 70% Dextrose

Alternative 2: Alligation

70% 10 parts
10%
0% 60 parts

TOTAL PARTS 70 not 60

10 parts of 70 parts D70%
Y? 1000 ml

Y= 142.85 ml

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I never looked at the SND calculations (to be honest, I’m not entirely sure what they are). I think your mistake is that total volume does not equal 1000 mL. The sterile water (6:7 parts) is 1000 mL.

Alternative 1:
(V1+1000) x 0.1 g/mL = g1
0.7 g/mL x V1 = g1
Substitute and solve for V1
V1 = 166.7 mL

Alternative 2:
alligation
D70W = 1:7 = V1
SW = 6:7 = 1000 mL
V1 = 1000 mL / 6 = 166.7 mL

I may be missing some information since I didn’t read the original question (for example, I don’t know how 1015 mL factors in)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Abby for your reply.

I never looked at the SND calculations (to be honest, I’m not entirely sure what they are). I think your mistake is that total volume does not equal 1000 mL. The sterile water (6:7 parts) is 1000 mL.

Alternative 1:
0.7 g/mL x V1 = g1
V1 = 166.7 mL

Alternative 2:
alligation

I may be missing some information since I didn’t read the original question (for example, I don’t know how 1015 mL factors in)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I never looked at these SDN calculations either, but I seem to remember the NAPLEX calculation questions to be really easy. The book we used for our pharmacy math (Ansel) was more than enough preparation.

Thank you. Did you take the new Naplex?

Well I never looked at these SDN calculations either, but I seem to remember the NAPLEX calculation questions to be really easy. The book we used for our pharmacy math (Ansel) was more than enough preparation.

Hello guys ....
I just got into this website couldn't find the 120 calculation questions, kindly anyone of u send me the link so I can practice.
I just found out that I failed the naplex and got 66, I'm really pissed.
Thank you guys.

Hello guys ....
I just got into this website couldn't find the 120 calculation questions, kindly anyone of u send me the link so I can practice.
I just found out that I failed the naplex and got 66, I'm really pissed.
Thank you guys.

I am sorry you didn't pass this time. Pls find attached the 120 Calculation Q.

Attachments

• 2006 Calc Problem Collection.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
I have been looking all over for places to practice calculations as RxPrep suggests working on these an hour a day to get comfortable and quick to no avail. I COMPLETELY forgot about my Ansel calculation book (our school gives access to electronic books....but I bought the hard copy....lol) Between the book and the online access code I should be able to do this without a problem now. THANK YOU!! :)

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE ANSWERS? I SAW THE 120 QUESTIONS, BUT NO ANSWERS ATTACHED.

Alternative 1:
0.7 g/mL x V1 = g1
V1 = 166.7 mL

Alternative 2:
alligation

Agree with alternative #1 myself, though isn’t there a section on the Naplex somewhere about respecting significant digits? The “right” answer might be 170 or 200 mL. ;).

Honestly didn't even look at the SDN 120 calculations. Used the RXPrep math and I think that overprepares you. Know how to do every problem in there and you're good.

I did about half of the SDN calculation questions; NAPLEX questions are much easier.
If you have nothing else to study, you can do SDN calculations. Otherwise I don't think it's necessary.
Pretty much RxPrep is all you need. Didn't even do PreNAPLEX.