SDN nurses, I have a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people who take issue with nurses who graduate a BSN program and then leap right into a NP program, becoming NPs without having ever done patient care.

There are two programs in Chicago that are direct entry MSNs for people without a background in nursing. You spend one year getting a nursing BSN, and then you can work part time toward becoming a nurse practitioner. I have considered doing this in psychiatry. What do you think of such a program?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the concept was great and I was going to do it...until I eventually realized that APN requires experience to make up for the lack of didactic and clinical training in the programs. Have you looked at the number of credits and hours of the average FNP program?

The only way it makes sense is if you have years of experience in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen a lot of people who take issue with nurses who graduate a BSN program and then leap right into a NP program, becoming NPs without having ever done patient care.

There are two programs in Chicago that are direct entry MSNs for people without a background in nursing. You spend one year getting a nursing BSN, and then you can work part time toward becoming a nurse practitioner. I have considered doing this in psychiatry. What do you think of such a program?
The real question should be how many of those graduates have jobs as NPs? Ask the program that question. The answer you get will be "lots" while refusing to look you in the eye. There is an interesting thread about a hospital hiring APNs as bedside nurses in allnurses. Probably a direct result of these type of programs.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I appreciate this insight, as it was very honest (from everyone)! I'm really interested in psych and women's health...and I figured it would be easier to get into those type of fields as a nurse practitioner, rather than a physician assistant. But perhaps it makes no difference; my school actually has a very good PA program.

The problem I am coming up against is that I do not have a BSN, and I'm trying to find programs that will take a person with a bachelors degree (me in May) and train me to be a nurse. Unlike a lot of other people doing these programs, I want to work as a nurse- because I have no experience in medicine whatsoever. This is my problem with going into a PA program; I feel unprepared. Our school requires 1000 clinical hours to even get into the PA program, which I don't have.
ANYWAY, I've been looking into these type of programs (basically second career BSNs, ect.) and a lot of them are direct entry masters degrees. While I think being an NP would be great, and someday would like to do so, for now I basically want to be a nurse. So I'm a little frustrated. There is a 3 year
"Generalist Entry Masters" at Rush University Chicago, which doesn't train you in any type of specialty, so perhaps that might be a possibility.

I don't think its reasonable to do an NP program without being a nurse. (a working nurse) I never did...but I wanted to see what other people in the med world thought, too.

Brightness,
Have you looked into an accelerated BSN program?
They are designed for those with a previous bachelors and have met the program pre-reqs. The time line is the degree is completed within 12-16 months, depending on the program.
This would enable you to get your BSN quickly and start gaining experience. At a later point you could do your MSN (at school, or hybrid, or online with preceptor...) and have a focus on the psch family or adult...
This would enable you to become a solid RN, establish credit with serving your time and spicing up a resume, continuing to afirm nursing is for you and you want psych, and still have a reduced time line.
Good luck~

Brightness,
Have you looked into an accelerated BSN program?
They are designed for those with a previous bachelors and have met the program pre-reqs. The time line is the degree is completed within 12-16 months, depending on the program.
This would enable you to get your BSN quickly and start gaining experience. At a later point you could do your MSN (at school, or hybrid, or online with preceptor...) and have a focus on the psch family or adult...
This would enable you to become a solid RN, establish credit with serving your time and spicing up a resume, continuing to afirm nursing is for you and you want psych, and still have a reduced time line.
Good luck~

I agree. Time in school is not any longer by going the 2nd degree BSN then MSN route. A lot of direct entry MSN programs don't award a BSN so you also could gain an extra degree. Definitely worth it to do them separate, IMO.