sglacal

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
2
0
Status
Hi,

I am planning to buy a smartphone; however, I am not sure which phone I should buy. Please recommend the phone(s) which is useful for health care fields.

Thank you for your opinions,
sglacal
 

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
314
1
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
sglacal said:
Hi,

I am planning to buy a smartphone; however, I am not sure which phone I should buy. Please recommend the phone(s) which is useful for health care fields.

Thank you for your opinions,
sglacal
I've heard Treo 650 is 'tha bomb,

but personally I have no productive comment to offer. :D
 

fielight

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2004
127
0
Status
i'm not sure either is necessarily useful... it really depends on what you want to do with it. the SE P910 is a Symbian based phone, so if you're talking about the medical reference softwares (usually targeted for either Palm or PPC), then they might not work with the OS (in which case, it might be better to go with the Treo). but you would be mistaken if you think that the Treo is going to offer full Palm functionality (to the best of my knowledge, there is no Smartphone that replicates a PDA completely). the treo will probably be more useful simply because of its OS, but personally, i would go with the SE (just because it's a very unique Smartphone that not many people have).
 
About the Ads

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
but you would be mistaken if you think that the Treo is going to offer full Palm functionality (to the best of my knowledge, there is no Smartphone that replicates a PDA completely)
What makes you say that? Any personal experience? My Treo 650 is my PDA for my daily practice as well. I run Epocrates and Pepid as well as several other smaller references and medical programs without a problem. It syncs to my G5 flawlessly to iCal and AddressBook. The 1 GB SD card doesn't hurt either.
 

palminator2003

Sosumi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2004
246
0
Somewhere in New York
Status
I use a Samsung I-500, but I haven't started medical school yet. It's the smallest of the bunch.
 
OP
S

sglacal

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
2
0
Status
fielight said:
i'm not sure either is necessarily useful... it really depends on what you want to do with it. the SE P910 is a Symbian based phone, so if you're talking about the medical reference softwares (usually targeted for either Palm or PPC), then they might not work with the OS (in which case, it might be better to go with the Treo). but you would be mistaken if you think that the Treo is going to offer full Palm functionality (to the best of my knowledge, there is no Smartphone that replicates a PDA completely). the treo will probably be more useful simply because of its OS, but personally, i would go with the SE (just because it's a very unique Smartphone that not many people have).
you are right. there are a lot of softwares are developed for Palm and PPC. After a quick research, I was planning to get a Treo; however, there is a phone dealer offers me the new P910i for $380 + $35 activation fee + 12 months contract with the plan $39.99/month. I went for it this afternoon because I think there is no better deal for that kind of smartphones.

the phone looks very nice. so now, I have to search for the medical reference softwares support the Symbian OS :)

anyway, thank for all the feedbacks
sglacal
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
Originally posted by sglacal
the phone looks very nice. so now, I have to search for the medical reference softwares support the Symbian OS
You're going to be sorely disappointed if you plan on using this for medical reference. Medical software is close to nonexistent for Symbian. For medical purposes, your choice is PocketPC or Palm OS.
 

Doctor Wyldstyle

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2001
491
0
Visit site
Status
TREO 650 ROCKS! Been using bluetooth for wireless headset and it is awesome. I have at least 7 skyscape programs i like to use and its a godsend. The speed is efficient and fast, however I clock it (slightly) for even more of an edge in loading programs. Best phone/pda i ever had. Pretty much a mini-tungsten C with a phone/camera/vid recorder.

Your pda/phone is as good as nothing if you aren't using it or maximizing its potential. symbian has potential but is far from being a widespread format for medical reference. I'd even opt for a pc based OS over symbian if I had to choose.

good luck!
 

spacegeek

New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2005
1
0
Status
Sessamoid said:
What makes you say that? Any personal experience? My Treo 650 is my PDA for my daily practice as well. I run Epocrates and Pepid as well as several other smaller references and medical programs without a problem. It syncs to my G5 flawlessly to iCal and AddressBook. The 1 GB SD card doesn't hurt either.
Just got a Treo 650 through Sprint, which has an updater script now to reformat the memory. So I've got Pepid on the PDA, not the SD card, but when I try to scroll through my apps, (Epocrates, Pepid, other medical third party s/w), I get a soft reset! Every time! I can't get to all of my apps to even launch Pepid!

Do you have Pepid on the SD card or on the standard memory? Have you experienced tons of resets? I'm afraid I'm going to have to return this thing because I can't use it for my primary needs.
 

spectrablue

New Member
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
1
0
Status
Sessamoid said:
You're going to be sorely disappointed if you plan on using this for medical reference. Medical software is close to nonexistent for Symbian. For medical purposes, your choice is PocketPC or Palm OS.
Uh ok whatever. Just don't be an eye surgeon since you seem to have overlooked over 10gb of isilo medical reference material that can be read on the symbian OS(series 60-nokia or SE-UIQ). Ya sure there is a ton of PDA material but thats becouse the PDA was out first and the medical community jumped on it. Meanwhile, under their noses is a sleeker form factor introduced by "non-existant" companies like Nokia, Motorola, and Samsung.

Question is how long will it be before everyone ports over aps to symbian en mass. What will it take? the new 4 gb flash drives? 2gb SD or MS Pro duo cards?

Its a classic chicken and egg problem again. Software first or hardware?
Most likely we will see people own both and push demand for the software to be ported over to their cooler smart phones. Lets face it PDA's are not cool anymore.
 

bartleby

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
448
6
Status
Per pepid.com itself, PEPID is only supported when it is stored on a memory card, not on the device itself. Buy an SD card, and install PEPID on it per their site and it should be fine. I've found it to be trouble-free on my GSM treo 650.

spacegeek said:
Do you have Pepid on the SD card or on the standard memory? Have you experienced tons of resets?
As a previous poster pointed out, Symbian OS is a non-platform when it comes to commercial medical references. The Treo 650 is the most mature PDA/smartphone platform at this time. Contrary to what fielight thinks, the Treos are full-featured Palm OS PDAs with phone features seamlessly integrated into the device. There is no benefit to a stand-alone palm unless you'd rather keep your phone and PDA separate.
 

Oallostavros

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2002
39
0
DC Area
Visit site
Status
Hi,

Has something been done to fix the automatic 500kb memory allocation for new contacts on the cingular treo 650?

Also, does the EVDO broadband work inside hospitals or is it somehow blocked out like my GSM cell service is?

Any preferences b/n the 3 different phone carriers of the 650? Any common quirks with any of the three?

I'd like to go with the 2yr cingular plan that gives you the treo 650 for 200 bucks. Seems like a steal ---> IF I can use the 650 as a modem for my home laptop/desktop, I'm sold!
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
Oallostavros said:
Has something been done to fix the automatic 500kb memory allocation for new contacts on the cingular treo 650?
The firmware fix for that has been out for a while. The most recent firmware upgrade was to deal with other issues.

Also, does the EVDO broadband work inside hospitals or is it somehow blocked out like my GSM cell service is?
I don't know. None of the current Treos are compatible with the EVDO networks of either Verizon or Sprint. Probably for a future version of the Treo. No reason to believe it will not work inside hospitals though. My Sprint Vision works everywhere inside the hospitals that I work.
 

mooklyster

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
175
0
Visit site
Status
Sorry guys, but I am a but lost, could use some help. I am getting my first PDA and through some good luck, may be getting a treo. I know, probably like getting a land rover as my first car instead of learning on a geo metro, but hell, never look a gift horse in the mouth. I have read this thread, it seems that some of the owners like this machine. My question is, epocrates, pepid etc, are there subscriptions that you have to buy, or are they free? my friends seem to indicate that there are free programs, but when i go to the site, i seem to always wind up in someplace asking me to buy a subscription. any advice/help would be appreciated. Also, if you could spell out anything you think might be a little complex, thanks, i truly am a rookie to this thing.
 
About the Ads