Searching for truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasherish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone is diagnosed with a mental health illness what is it that classifies them as ill?
If someone is under extreme pressure through the general struggles of life and sleeps with someone other than their spouse as a coping mechanism...
What's the difference between that and somebody who experiences psychosis and freaks out or explodes with anger as a result of extreme life struggles?
If that is their coping mechanism, yes it wrong just as inferdelitly is wrong. They both have negitive social consiquences; others around them become emotionally effected by the negitive coping mechanisms, people get hurt, scared and there is also a potential for the spread of desease. So why is one ill and the other not?
Many thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If someone is diagnosed with a mental health illness what is it that classifies them as ill?
If someone is under extreme pressure through the general struggles of life and sleeps with someone other than their spouse as a coping mechanism...
What's the difference between that and somebody who experiences psychosis and freaks out or explodes with anger as a result of extreme life struggles?
If that is their coping mechanism, yes it wrong just as inferdelitly is wrong. They both have negitive social consiquences; others around them become emotionally effected by the negitive coping mechanisms, people get hurt, scared and there is also a potential for the spread of desease. So why is one ill and the other not?
Many thanks in advance

Adultery is a conscious choice. The symptoms that compose schizophrenia are not.

Reactions: 1 user
One definition that I like to use is: a mental disorder is a non-normative cognitive or emotional state or behavior that is distressing or results in an impairment in functioning.
Socio-cultural factors play a role in determining this as well. For example, homosexuality was once viewed as a mental disorder because of the culture at the time. It is not anymore, but transsexualism is and I have a few patients that would vehemently disagree with that and I don't diagnose it myself because I concur.

Members don't see this ad :)
One definition that I like to use is: a mental disorder is a non-normative cognitive or emotional state or behavior that is distressing or results in an impairment in functioning.
Socio-cultural factors play a role in determining this as well. For example, homosexuality was once viewed as a mental disorder because of the culture at the time. It is not anymore, but transsexualism is and I have a few patients that would vehemently disagree with that and I don't diagnose it myself because I concur.

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia years back and more recently the family doctor told me (without ever seeing me) that he thinks emotionally unstable personality disorder (that diagnosis it's self just sounds like an insult), recurrent anxiety and depression and a history of psychosis was probably more accurate. I know what I struggle with in terms of psychosis, and the loud overbearing and overwhelming voices I struggle with, but I hate being told I am ill. I don't know how my symptoms effect me on a day to day basis and don't believe I'm not accountable for my actions. I've recently been refused disability benifits and am much more able to care for myself these days but the prospect of going back to work has really made me have to assess whether I think there is anything wrong with me or not. I'm told denying being ill is one of the symptoms but I also feel people tell me I'm ill to gain superiority over me and disregard my opinions and beliefs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry in advance if I shouldn't be on this website for these reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.